DCSW 2.5 and Caucasus Discussion?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. DCSW 2.5 and Caucasus Discussion?

• 2.5 early release?
    • 2.5 open alpha?
    • 2.5 open beta?
    • 2.5 stable release?

• ED Team
For an Alpha/Beta I think it would be worth it.

Its possible some missions might not be done in Open Alpha, but I dont know what they will require to be done before Open Alpha. I would assume testers will be tasked with checking missions even before release.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

i think only missions with many ground units and heavy ground detailing would be affected by this.

remember that even until now with every patch that changed/tweaked ai behaviour, there has been a small chance for older missions to "break".

so i don't think that this should be a major factor for a delay. also this tweaking would be done by mission designers, not by the terrain modelers and so could be done, while the map building is still ongoing...

really, really looking forward to the map by the way!!!

Nice find Weasel! I wish I could rep you!

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

If ver 2.5 is going to be released this year, will year 2017 see it as:

a. 2.5 early release?

b. 2.5 open alpha?

c. 2.5 open beta?

d. 2.5 stable release?

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

If ver 2.5 is going to be released this year, will year 2017 see it as:

a. 2.5 early release?

b. 2.5 open alpha?

c. 2.5 open beta?

d. 2.5 stable release?

Added the poll for you Winston and made it multiple selection.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional

hrm, not easy to decide in the poll i think. It really depends on the state of the terrains by then. Especially, nttr might have moved from alpha to beta/stable by then were as caucasus might barely in alpha status. Then again, naming doesn't matter as long as the content works for the most part.

I must say I don't really get the idea of the poll. No matter what status 2.5 has when it comes out most players will likely jump in as soon as they can. And our opinion on which status it might have has nothing to do with what will or will not happen.

I don't mean to be a spoilsport, but the poll, in my opinion, is useless.

A much more useful question would be "When 2.5 initially releases as alpha/beta/early access, when will you update to it?". + some reasonable options as answers.

Edited by MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

I must say I don't really get the idea of the poll. No matter what status 2.5 has when it comes out most players will likely jump in as soon as they can. And our opinion on which status it might have has nothing to do with what will or will not happen.

I don't mean to be a spoilsport, but the poll, in my opinion, is useless.

A much more useful question would be "When 2.5 initially releases as alpha/beta/early access, when will you update to it?". + some reasonable options as answers.

The poll is just for fun. The same reason why we play DCSW. Not all polls have to have value for decision making purposes...right?

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional

Although if this proved to be a huge hurdle I would happily drop forward compatibility with 1.X mission files in a 2.5.X build. If the cost of getting a 2.5 build sooner is without backward compatibility then I'd be prepared to take that! YMMV

If the mission file format changed it would effect missions made on every single map. The only difference between a Nevada, Normandy, and Caucasus mission is literally a single line stating the map being used. For current Caucusus and the updated one the only compatibility issues that exist will solely be down to the positioning of stuff. Maybe a road changed slightly, trees in different locations, just stuff like that. Generally speaking though it will probably require less changes to missions than the Black Shark 1 mission format to what is currently used.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Erm, this is a very strange poll. For one thing there is an obvious choice missing. "It won't be released in 2017". I hope that we see it soon, but there is really no way we can truly know unless ED comes out and says it's coming at "such and such a time". Which is something they don't do anymore unless they are absolutely certain they will make it.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Erm, this is a very strange poll. For one thing there is an obvious choice missing. "It won't be released in 2017". I hope that we see it soon, but there is really no way we can truly know unless ED comes out and says it's coming at "such and such a time". Which is something they don't do anymore unless they are absolutely certain they will make it.

I understand your skepticism but this might give a little more hope....

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up Raven68. I didn't know Chizh confirmed that it was planned for release for this year.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up Raven68. I didn't know Chizh confirmed that it was planned for release for this year.

It's going to be a long 6 months if this goes out to the end of the year, if it takes that long. We are getting close though. :)

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional

now I'm wondering what will be 2.5? Just a 2.1 renamed to 2.5 with caucasus added or we can expect a change on the graphic engine?

New clouds, explosions and damage models are planned so far.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gainward RTX 2080 OC | i7 8700K OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3600 MHz | MSI Z370-A PRO | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

It doesn´t mean anything, they said the same thing last year. I´m sure this is only a hope, not even an estimate.

Simply don't buy a module until it is fully "released." Your problem is solved.

Keep buying alphas, and you will get only alphas, that´s the problem with this sim. I can count with the fingers of one hand the modules that are completely finished, even within years of being released.

And before filling me with negatives (I got like -80 just in one post for telling the truth lol), tell me first where I am telling a lie.

Edited by AKULA_OPTIMUS

It doesn´t mean anything, they said the same thing last year. I´m sure this is only a hope, not even an estimate.

Pretty much a true statement. You won't find me arguing with you too much on that. I am trying to stay optimistic. We wont know until there is an official announcement. Maybe there will be a buzz in another 2 months to give us more confidence.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional

....Keep buying alphas, and you will get only alphas, that´s the problem with this sim.......

That's not a problem, I will keep buying them because I like having early access, supporting the devs and helping to find bugs.

I do agree that Chizhs quote more likely means hope to have 2.5 out this year, rather than it definitely will be, but I am not a native Russian speaker.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.