2.1.1 Bad VR Performance and Crashes

dburne

2.1.1 Bad VR Performance and Crashes

Hi guys, I don't know if this helps anyone but was getting really bad stutter in dcs, on all maps. That was however until I turned my internet connection off???? It's now a stable(ish) 90 Fps in vr with no stutter to be seen! I don't know if it's just my system but worth a try.

I'm running a MSI ge72 laptop with 1070 graphics card and 16gb of ram.

Very strange...

Anyway as i have a similar laptop to yours can i ask some questions to you please?

1)can you post your graphics settings please?

2) i cannot get 90 not in 1.5.6 not in 2.1.0 and i have lowered the settings..it is 45 most of the time and 90 when looking up...what could be?my notebook should me more powerful then yours...

2) i am in contact with oculus support, because i have a green haze over my left screen, it is particularly possible to see at night, on the forums someone told it could be because i have a notebook and hdmi on it is not good...but mine is vr certified (msi gt73vr 7re with i7820hk and grx 1070) so would be strange for me...but i don't have another capable computer on which to try....so the question :) have you ever noticed strange things with the display?thanks

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Hi, I'll post when I'm back at my laptop but try working the other way. I found higher settings way better. Off the top of my head though

Terrain high

Water high

View distance high

No traffic

No heat blur

Textures high

Mssa 8Q

No dust

No HDR though it will run just knocks 10fps off

FOV off

AA off

No shadows on terrain or cockpit

V sink off

Disable ??? Can't remember what it's called on

Full screen on

PD 1.3 get about 20 dpd less on 1.5

I bought Normandy map but haven't downloaded yet as I'm away in Middle East working.

And yes night time isn't black it has a green hue to it???

Hope that helps

Well this is strange. Not seeing reports from others at least on the crashing when trying to exit a mission issue, except maybe one or two.

I played 3 missions (Nevada only) and crashed after exiting the first. The second and third were fine.

My specs are pretty close to your sig. I'll fire up one of the Normandy test missions you mentioned and report back.

I ran through several KA-50 Normandy Free-Flight missions starting with the VR Presets as baseline settings and a Pixel Density of 1.5.

VR Preset: 45 FPS (Deferred Shading On, HDR off, Medium Shadows, Flat Canopy Shadows, etc.)

Change: Anisotropic Filtering 16, Global Illumination On, Dirt+Smoke Effects: 45 FPS

MSAA x4 and Pixel Density of 1.5: 28 FPS

MSAA x4 and Pixel Density of 1.0: 45 FPS

VR Preset + ASW Manually Disabled: 45 FPS

I'm pretty sure the 45 FPS ceiling is due to ASW being enable. Even when I forced it off in the Oculus Debug Tool, it started off disabled (in the DCS menus) and then (magically) became enabled after loading the mission.

The only time I struggled constantly for frames was when I was using MSAA and a pixel density > 1.0. On a side note, flame/smoke effects also caused temporary dips in FPS (~35 FPS) from crashing (haven't been in the KA-50 in a while) or the couple things I managed to blow up while running around Normandy like a mad-man.

I know from some previous discussions you're making use of the Oculus Tray Tool. It might be worth disabling it temporarily, verifying that Anti-Aliasing is disabled and try again.

Crashing when exiting mission is normal for me since 2.1. But not always. Maybe 70% of times. Still getting it in 2.1.1.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

I also crash on exiting missions. I'll post logs tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please do gang, anyone experiencing this same issue ( crashing on exiting mission). The more info they can get on it the better chance of maybe it getting resolved.

Thanks,

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I know from some previous discussions you're making use of the Oculus Tray Tool. It might be worth disabling it temporarily, verifying that Anti-Aliasing is disabled and try again.

Nope gave it a try, no Oculus Tray Tool running, still same DCS crash upon clicking to exit a mission. Every time.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks for posting AVXO.

I know from some of the other threads there are more folks experiencing the same. I sure hope they are taking the time to do the same - posting logs and crash files , as this is pretty serious. The more that do so the better chance we have of this getting fixed.

Don B

Hi, same for me (logs on my "crash post") but happened while using for testing deffered shaders + cockpit Lightning in NTTR. I usually don't use it cause massive fps drops in VR. With a screen it's super beautifull and runs great but in VR it's a fps killer and make an "eyes Killing" bug in the loadout screen (when choosing weapons and skin for a mission - psychedelic colors bug effect).

Since I only use HDR in VR and no deff.shaders & cockp.light. everything is ok no crash on exit and good perf.

Since I only use HDR in VR and no deff.shaders & cockp.light. everything is ok no crash on exit and good perf.

YES!

I have been flying with deferred shading since 2.1.1, saw this post so I went in and turned it off.

For the first time, in no telling how many attempts I have tried 2.1.1 resulting in a crash upon exiting mission, I successfully flew a mission and exited cleanly to the menu!

Success!!

So the problem is obviously with the Deferred Shading being on in 2.1.1., at least for me.

Certainly helped my VR performance turning that off as well, no longer does it dip into the 30's on me over Normandy, maintains a steady 45 fps.

Don B

Don't know if this helps, thought I would attach the log file from my successfully completed mission yesterday in the Spit at Normandy since turning deferred shading off. As mentioned it resulted in my being able to exit cleanly the mission rather than DCS crashing and program closing to desktop. Perhaps might help in comparing this log to some of my previous logs in this thread where it would not exit cleanly with deferred shading on.

dcs.zip

Don B

I'm also getting crashes all the time with differed shading on, so tried it with DS off. No game crash at all, can exit a mission/server and go back to the home screen no problem and quicker mission load time, but the cockpit graphics are broken with differed shading of....see screen shots. This is in VR on Oculus.

I also get very long loading times for missions with differed shading on, can be up to 10 minutes and I'm on a SSD!

So for me I guess 2.1.1 is broken for now sad.gif

Screen_170625_141342.jpg.cba864f984bc90a1647032d71ab5a9b3.jpg

Screen_170625_141349.jpg.762fecf4cc456f8d8a9b5db8749a7a97.jpg

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Update to the above post.....

Managed to sort the graphics bug in cockpit with a reboot! all ok now and getting reasonable fps 30+ in Normandy in VR with differed shading OFF, and no game crashes so far, so there must be an issue with the differed shading somewhere.

Otherwise great update.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Update to the above post.....

Managed to sort the graphics bug in cockpit with a reboot! all ok now and getting reasonable fps 30+ in Normandy in VR with differed shading OFF, and no game crashes so far, so there must be an issue with the differed shading somewhere.

Otherwise great update.

You should upload your crash log files if you can. Maybe the more info they can get from those it will help point out what the issue is with the deferred shading on...

Don B

2.1.1 runs very very poorly for me in VR :(

17fps with the preset VR settings, however I am running with a 780 which technically isn't 'VR Ready' that said I never had this issue with NTTR.... :helpsmilie:

Edited by Krupi

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I'm Having a strange Issue with DCS 2.1.1 & VR. Not If its the latest 2.1.1.8244 update or not as I haven't played in VR & 2.1.1 for a couple of weeks. Anyway DCS starts up in VR , However whenever I select a mission It loads and gets to the press esc/break to start / Fly Button and is quite stable ie I can look around etc. I press the fly button & things are ok. However if I start looking around (especially down & to the right) DCS crashes. It looks as if I may be getting a monmentry loss of head positon.

Eveything is OK in Non VR mode & is OK in VR in version 1.5.6.5199.

I have a gtx1070 graphics card & a HTC Vive. Another maybe realted thing I have added since is Track IR which I unplug when playing in VR. Not sure if thats relivent. Have tried with multiple aircraft, NTTR & Normandy, allways get the same result

^ Maybe it's the "tooltips bug", which guys noticed after the latest update (if flying in VR, with tooltips on, the game crashes when any tooltip is about to be displayed).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

^ Maybe it's the "tooltips bug", which guys noticed after the latest update (if flying in VR, with tooltips on, the game crashes when any tooltip is about to be displayed).

Yes kinda correct I did get to see tool tips for a short while before it crashes ToolTips are rendered smaller and better, but yes soon after DCS will stop with ToolTips on. :(

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.