Tactics

HoYa

I was playing for a while then got completely overwhelmed and stopped. Well I'm back and doing a lot better. However I got two questions for anyone who cares to help.

Radar, when I switch from STT to TWS and switch back to STT, the width of the scan stays In the smaller TWS range. It only goes back to regular scan mode (one side to the other) after I turn it off/on and mess with it.

Tactics, when doing a 1vs1 BVR against a mig 31, they seem to lock me up and fire before I can. Other than going as fast as possible at them to get a missile lock, what tactics do you employ against this plane and a mig 29S ??

Thanks.

I was playing for a while then got completely overwhelmed and stopped. Well I'm back and doing a lot better. However I got two questions for anyone who cares to help.

Radar, when I switch from STT to TWS and switch back to STT, the width of the scan stays In the smaller TWS range. It only goes back to regular scan mode (one side to the other) after I turn it off/on and mess with it.

Tactics, when doing a 1vs1 BVR against a mig 31, they seem to lock me up and fire before I can. Other than going as fast as possible at them to get a missile lock, what tactics do you employ against this plane and a mig 29S ??

Thanks.

I'm not an Eagle expert so can't comment on the radar issue. On the subject of the MiG-31, the 31 is capable of going much faster and a bit higher than you can reasonably do, and their missiles have a significantly longer range than yours do. In this case what you need to do is deny his advantage: use terrain masking to deny them a firing solution then when you think the MiG is in range use your significantly superior maneuverability to gain an advantage. Your missiles are reliable (both the AIM-120 and AIM-9M) which should help you get a kill. The worst thing you can do against a MiG-31 is stay high and fast because this will play to his advantages.

Against the MiG-29S? This is a much more difficult opponent if you allow yourself to be sucked in to a WVR turning fight. Your Eagle does however have very significant advantages in BVR combat over the MiG: your radar has a much longer detection and lock range, your missiles are more reliable and the AIM-120 offers you the ability to fire at range and then turn away or crank, denying the 29S a firing solution and forcing them on the defensive.

Hope this helps.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

I'll throw my two cents in as well.

As for radar try "right control =" or "right control -" to fix the azimuth scan. The 60 degree sweep is quite useful in RWS too in certain scenarios, fyi.

Tactics...1v1 BVR is inadvisable. As for the -31. Get high and fast to start with then transition to a more defensive posture (notch/drag in the 10s/20s) while defending to close in so you can face shot him at 10 or less (120C has a 7 mile kill range). If you merge he *might* be able to separate depending on the altitude but he can't turn for crap as DF mentioned.

Against a Fulcrum...Or worse a flight of 'em...Stack all the problems on him. Keep maneuvering, changing altitude, turn out randomly, whatever. Make him lose his SA then pounce on him closer in. Here's the thing with the Adder - You outrange it. If you can survive down to 8nmi, shoot him, abort by 6.5 and reset a bit...Just watch 'em burn. Don't play their low alt hide and seek. Fly high as hell, scan low as hell.

Merging, anything 2v1 or better works.

Lord of Salt