Nimitz carrier asset for Hornet

Zomba

I could be wrong on this so someone who knows definitely chime in, but I'm pretty sure the pilots don't ride with the plane up the elevator. I think the pilots actually meet the plane on the deck where it's been parked and armed by the crew.

Any NAVY guys out there to clarify?

I don't claim to know, but the logical thing would be to have a full fidelity carrier, for the F-18 or any other aircraft(SU-33 and F-14, Harrier, or any other aircraft or helicopter) on the flight deck, and then a DLC for interaction with the carrier, i.e. to walk around or go inside and look around.... to be LSO or the shooter would be awesome!

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I could be wrong on this so someone who knows definitely chime in, but I'm pretty sure the pilots don't ride with the plane up the elevator. I think the pilots actually meet the plane on the deck where it's been parked and armed by the crew.

Most of the time elevators are not moved at all during flight ops. It disrupts the flow of the deck. If you are lucky you might get one run to move mail and parts down to the hangar bay when the COD comes aboard. It is always done between cycles and is always done in a hurry. That is your prime chance to move a jet up from the hangar bay for a pro or to get bulky GSE or aircraft parts to the roof. Most of the elevator runs are done after flight ops are over for the night and before the start of the next days flight ops usually between 0200 and 0800. As for pilots riding up with the jet... no it doesn't happen. All of the ready rooms and PR shops on the Nimitz class carriers are on the O-3 level. Even if personnel were allowed to ride the elevators routinely, it would not make sense for a pilot to walk down to the hangar bay to ride an elevator back up to the flight deck.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

I just really hope the model is ruthlessly unforgiving, in every sense when it comes to carrier ops.

In that I mean do it right or don't try and do it till you do your homework.

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

You are probably right about that. I seem to recall someone posting that very thing. However, some compromises have to be made for this multiplayer sim. There are only so many spawn points available on the flight deck if you are going to have a ready deck for recoveries at all times as well as a clear catapult up forward to accommodate those that are going to be launching as well. So, the question is, how do you design it so that a public server can allow those to spawn in without appearing out of nowhere right in front of someone that is just coming across the round down?? If the available spawn points on the flight deck have already be taken by folks coming into the game, you would think that the hanger deck is the next most logical place to spawn in. OK, so in RL the pilots never ride in the cockpit while on the elevator. It's a compromise to the vagaries of multiplayer simulators where everyone is not directed by a single (human) Air Boss orchestrating the movement of every single air frame aboard ship 24/7. I'll bet that ED has the number of rivets in the line below the canopy bow wrong also!! :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You are probably right about that. I seem to recall someone posting that very thing. However, some compromises have to be made for this multiplayer sim. There are only so many spawn points available on the flight deck if you are going to have a ready deck for recoveries at all times as well as a clear catapult up forward to accommodate those that are going to be launching as well. So, the question is, how do you design it so that a public server can allow those to spawn in without appearing out of nowhere right in front of someone that is just coming across the round down?? If the available spawn points on the flight deck have already be taken by folks coming into the game, you would think that the hanger deck is the next most logical place to spawn in. OK, so in RL the pilots never ride in the cockpit while on the elevator. It's a compromise to the vagaries of multiplayer simulators where everyone is not directed by a single (human) Air Boss orchestrating the movement of every single air frame aboard ship 24/7. I'll bet that ED has the number of rivets in the line below the canopy bow wrong also!! :pilotfly:

You make a valid point. There are several spaces available on deck for aircraft to spawn, but it would be interesting to see how a full server of Hornets all trying to take off from the carrier would play out. May have to wait for open spots on the deck to spawn in. Or maybe your right and the hanger deck will come into play.

I'm not trying to crush anybody's hopes and dreams of riding their bird up the elevator or being in the hanger here, I'm just going off the level of realism ED has provided in the past to get a better idea of what to expect from carrier ops. I hope the hanger and elevator are modeled and functioning, I just don't know if it will come into play with us pilots actually using it.

I'm sure ED has had a similar discussion among themselves. Who's parked where? Who gets the catapult next? how do we make sure the decks clear for landings? etc. etc.

I guess step one is just getting a look at the thing! haha

These are from 2012, but hey something to look at.

This was a mid-summer news:

I saw this model on the russian forum but now i cant find the thread.

This pics are from SimHQ forum:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3597545/1.html

Do you know any news or updates about this model ? Silver_Dragon ?

(hoping this model coming within FC3 also) thumbup.gif

CVN-74_17.jpg

CVN-74_11.jpg

Has there been any word about possible configurations of the carrier? Like static aircraft from different eras: early OIF with some tomcats & hornets, super hornets, vikings, hawkeyes and greyhounds. More modern operations with mostly super hornets, growlers, hawkeyes and greyhounds.

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz l 32 GB DDR3 l MSI 1080ti l Gigabyte 97ZX l TrackIR + DelanClip l TM Warthog HOTAS l CH Pedals

AV-8B l AJS-37 l A-10A l A-10C l F-15C l F-16C l F-5E l F-14A/B l F-86F l F/A-18C l Hawk l M2000 l MiG 29 l NTTR l Persian Gulf l Su-27 l Su-33 l Su-25 l Supercarrier l L-39 l UH-1 l

I am wondering if they couldn't put spawn points on the deck, much like they do on the airfields. Each one labeled so that the mission builder can decide where everyone will be spawning. Each spot would probably need to allow for a variety of aircraft, such as the Hornet and Tomcat and maybe even the Harrier to occupy that spot without causing a problem with the a/c spawning on either side of it. Of course, the Hornet and Tomcat would spawn with their wings folded.

Another compromise to the multiplayer nature of this sim might be to prevent collisions on the carrier deck. This is how it was done in IL-2 Pacific Fighters, to account for those with limited.....ahem, situational awareness shall we say??Everyone needs to accept the fact that the virtual pilots you will encounter in a multiplayer mission set up on a public server are bound to be full of those that may not be as aware of acceptable carrier deck procedures and that we are not being pushed or pulled around by tractors or being guided by yellow shirts all over the deck. There will need to be some compromises of some kind. I can't wait to see what they are! :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2 years ago there was this video I thought was the real carrier for the hornet

${1}

Not working?

PC: i7-13700K - MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X Trio - 32GB DDR5 6200 - VPC MongoosT-50CM3 - VKB GF pro - MFG Crosswind - Msi MPG321UR-QD + Acer XB271HU - TrackIR5 - Rift S

I am wondering if they couldn't put spawn points on the deck, much like they do on the airfields. Each one labeled so that the mission builder can decide where everyone will be spawning. Each spot would probably need to allow for a variety of aircraft, such as the Hornet and Tomcat and maybe even the Harrier to occupy that spot without causing a problem with the a/c spawning on either side of it. Of course, the Hornet and Tomcat would spawn with their wings folded.

Another compromise to the multiplayer nature of this sim might be to prevent collisions on the carrier deck. This is how it was done in IL-2 Pacific Fighters, to account for those with limited.....ahem, situational awareness shall we say??Everyone needs to accept the fact that the virtual pilots you will encounter in a multiplayer mission set up on a public server are bound to be full of those that may not be as aware of acceptable carrier deck procedures and that we are not being pushed or pulled around by tractors or being guided by yellow shirts all over the deck. There will need to be some compromises of some kind. I can't wait to see what they are! :pilotfly:

I can think of 18 spots on the deck suitable to spawn into with fixed wing aircraft that will not interrupt takeoff or recovery cycles.

Conventional thinking would have assigned spotting on the deck like the airfields. I was wondering if it would be possible to place aircraft on the deck similar to how the helicopters have a "place on ground" option in the ME. We know the dimensions of the carrier deck (with shot lines/foul lines etc) and the aircraft capable of using a carrier and with that in mind if an aircraft is placed on deck it should have a footprint (or box if you will) that other aircraft cannot overlap. Further, with the constant flux of the deck during cyclic operations perhaps deck templates could be used by the mission designer to set these spawn points for the different cycles. The flight deck is a dynamic environment and it would be nice if that was simulated... and for those who don't care about the realism perhaps there could be a spawn on catapult option that has a waiting cue. It will be interesting to see how ED goes about this.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

I don't claim to know, but the logical thing would be to have a full fidelity carrier, for the F-18 or any other aircraft(SU-33 and F-14, Harrier, or any other aircraft or helicopter) on the flight deck, and then a DLC for interaction with the carrier, i.e. to walk around or go inside and look around.... to be LSO or the shooter would be awesome!

Yes, I'd have thought (also having no idea about what will come) having a simpler visual model with the same dimensions / collision box & basic functionality - like maybe free had 'LOD2', paid get's the full visual monty.

Cheers.

Flightdeck dynamics

Can DCS model pitch role and heave for carriers? Even if it's scripted, perhaps for a given weather pattern, it would add more realism / challenge to trapping.

Edited by Django

Regards, Django.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

Can DCS model pitch role and heave for carriers? Even if it's scripted, perhaps for a given weather pattern, it would add more realism / challenge to trapping.

It's already in game, you simply need to increase the wind speed until you achieve your desired effects.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

What we need is a Carrier that autonomously turn into the wind as soon as Aircrafts are Taking off or Landing.

• Like 1

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

It's already in game, you simply need to increase the wind speed until you achieve your desired effects.

The problem with that is, the wind required to produce much more than a little rock 'n roll is up in the gale force levels! I would like to see ED separate the sea state from wind and make it another choice on the weather page.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The problem with that is, the wind required to produce much more than a little rock 'n roll is up in the gale force levels! I would like to see ED separate the sea state from wind and make it another choice on the weather page.

That's a fair request. The original question was whether the rocking and rolling was modeled.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

how long in your mind does it take a carrier to turn into the wind?

Question is how long does it take in your mind?

It's not like the Nimitz class carriers are the slowest things ever, especially when turning... I mean this might not be common practice to turn the carrier buuuutt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9OJWE9uuf4

Plus it's not like were going to be on final approach demanding the carrier turn round to face the wind. Now I might be wrong, but I'm fairly sure the idea is to have the carrier facing the wind a short while before launching/recovering aircraft... I'm fairly sure we're not expecting to be on glide slope or taxiing to a cat and only then the carrier to turns around...

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

+10 :thumbup:

My guess is that the carrier will have a certain number parking spots to spawn into on the deck, just like an airfield. If the mission designer requires more parking for more players, another carrier will probably have to be added to the mission.

Or they are some parking spots under the deck and you need to take the lift.

Gesendet von meinem PLK-L01 mit Tapatalk

My guess is that the carrier will have a certain number parking spots to spawn into on the deck, just like an airfield. If the mission designer requires more parking for more players, another carrier will probably have to be added to the mission.

Well, as I see it, this is the big unanswered question. The carrier deck can accommodate a very large number of a/c, depending on what it is the air wing is doing.

1. You can spot all the a/c back on the fantail forward to allow for everyone to crank up and taxi forward to a catapult and launch. This, of course, would preclude the recovery of any planes until after all the a/c have launched.

2. You could spot all the aircraft up forward leaving the landing area clear for recoveries but that would keep you from launching anyone.

3. You could compromise and use only half of the bow and the area back towards the island (the six pack??) and further aft, keeping the landing area clear for recoveries as well as the number one catapult clear for launches.

These are all decisions that a mission designer can make when building a mission, depending on many things, such as who the mission is being built for. If it is going to be a persistent public server, option #3 would probably be the one of choice. If it were for a bunch of squad mates out for a night of realistic fun, maybe option #1 or #2 would be the way to go. But these choices would only be possible if the mission designer were given some control over where the spawn points are located. It would also be awesome if the mission designer were given the ability to place static objects such as a/c, tractors, cranes, helos, etc. on the deck for some atmosphere, rather than being forced to deal with them as hard coded objects on the deck at all times. If the option to spawn a/c down below in the hanger deck is available, it will be very interesting to see how Wags decides to get them up to the flight deck. Will the player or mission designer have any control over which elevator is used? If we have a/c parked on elevators, there should probably be some way to insure that it is safe to ride the elevator if that is truly an option. By that I mean, insure that all their hands and feet are within the car before the elevator moves so as to not leave a wingtip or nose cone up on the flight deck as the elevator goes down, or up for that matter! :doh:

All these things have been rolling around in my head for months and months and I just can't wait to see how Wags decides to do it. I keep reminding myself that Wags was one of the creative geniuses behind "Jane's F/A-18 Hornet" and this is going to blow that right out of the water!! :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]