New Joystick advice?

New to DCS, have flown all/most of the other Sim Games. Still using a Microsoft Force Feedback 2 stick.

What is the latest & greatest joystick or something from the 21st century? Do any new joysticks have "force feedback"?

Thanks,

Edited by mjfur

VKB Gunfighter Pro with the soon-to-release Modern Combat Grip!

gunfighter_with_extension_sample.jpgaMCG-Announce-Final-1.jpg

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What is the latest & greatest joystick or something from the 21st century? Do any new joysticks have "force feedback"?

Logitech G-940 Force Feedback released in ~2009 and discontinued ~3 years later (QC issues) was probable the "Swan song" in Force Feedback joystick for flight games.

First thing I want to know is what you plan to fly? This changes my recommendations considerably.

If you want FFB stick with FFB2, or mod one (or two together) FFB2's! The FFB2 is hands down the best FFB stick you can get. G940 had issues, and also reportedly didn't feel as good.

VKB Gunfighter Pro is your best bet if you are willing to spend. Thrustmaster Warthog is often harshly criticized but also loved by many despite it's couple issues. Personally I love my Warthog that I put a few hours of work into the gimbal of. Warthog throttle is the best throttle on the market so far IMO, but that doesn't mean it is without flaws.

For helicopters the conversation changes significantly, but it's worth mentioning that the Gunfighter has a dry clutch setup in it that makes it more helicopter appropriate than any other non-heli specific stick. FFB2 however is a really good option for some or most DCS helis. The Force Trim works great in the Huey!

I will be happy to go into more detail on any of the above if you would like, just ask!

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

The differential of VKB's - their metal (steel/aluminum - not "door knob metal" like in famous joystick) "Next Gen" gimbal: ;)

Gunfigther-Gimbal-2.png

Nothing beats BRD floor-mounted sticks for DCS. Running BRD-N with Warthog and BRD KG13 grips and plan to order VirPil's T-50 grip soon! Best value for money too!

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

I haven't been following the development of these new high end flight sticks very much.

Why are the VPC and the planned VKB grips so similar?

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

• 4 weeks later...

I have the VKB with my Warthog grip on top, and it is very nice.

If your wallet is unlimited, there are even more expensive options out there, like:

For helicopters, for example:

https://pro-flight-trainer-com.myshopify.com/collections/control-full-sets/products/pro-flight-trainer-puma

This gives some other fancy schmancy controllers:

http://www.aerotronicsllc.com/f18throttle.htm

I'm sure there are all sorts, up to $6k 747 cockpit panels I have seen. But back to reality, if you're willing to buy something really good for gaming in general, and especially for sims, then the brands mentioned above are the best and most accessible. The Thrustmasters aren't terrible, but they aren't as smooth as the VKB (and presumably Virgils/Baur) even with lots of polish and lube.