Unable to land the Spitfire; any tips?

Watch the bank indicator needle once your wheels are down to keep her straight and avoid the wing tip scrapes. If the runway is clear and your approach was in a straight line before touchdown you can afford to keep your head down watching the indicator while you dance on the rudders to keep the needle central. No need for brakes until you sense that she has slowed enough. By which time you are probably just going to taxi off the runway.

• Like 1

ASUS Maximus X Hero; i7-8700K OC'd @ 5 Ghz; Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Extreme 8GB; 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200Mhz RAM; 500GB Samsung EVO 960 SSD; Warthog HOTAS; Saitek Pro Flight Rudder pedals; HP Reverb VR; Realtus Forcefeel Game Pad running on SimShaker for Aviators software. :thumbup:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speed, Speed Speed, don't even try to touch down above 70 mph, you'll just bounce. Let it fly just above the runway until the speed is good then raise the nose to similar to take off attitude. keep your gunsight on so once on the ground you can line the vertical with a cloud in the distance and dance on the pedals to keep it straight on the runway, once slowed down enough to roll straight then brake. I set my brakes to a button on my throttle rather than my pedals and once nice a straight lots of quick dabs on brake button.

Is this the same stratman59 that couldn't land the bloody thing a few days ago? :joystick:

:smilewink:

• Like 1

I've posted this video link a few times already.

If you observe the "dance" on the rudder during takeoff and landing, you'll probably recognize how great the simulation we have in DCS World is...

And, yet another video in DCS - beach anding ! ( not mine !!! )

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Ron, would you kindly go back and read my post and tell me exactly where I have said 'I cant land the bloody thing' I'll save you the trouble, here is what I actually said.

'After countless hours of takeoff and landing practice, I can occasionally takeoff reasonably tidily and occasionally land without touching a wing down'. Granted, I also say my landings can be a bit messy, probably the same for many of us.

After 'countless hours of practice' what was the harm in passing on what I found helped me out.?

What is it with people on this forum, seems to be full of people who'd pick a fight in an empty room, it's getting like Youtube!

Ron, would you kindly go back and read my post and tell me exactly where I have said 'I cant land the bloody thing' I'll save you the trouble, here is what I actually said.

'After countless hours of takeoff and landing practice, I can occasionally takeoff reasonably tidily and occasionally land without touching a wing down'. Granted, I also say my landings can be a bit messy, probably the same for many of us.

After 'countless hours of practice' what was the harm in passing on what I found helped me out.?

What is it with people on this forum, seems to be full of people who'd pick a fight in an empty room, it's getting like Youtube!

Don't missinterpret Ron - he's a very good-humored guy and I see his "exclamation" on that other post as a joke only.

Then, he's ( just like me ... ) one of those "frustrated" (*) MSFS / P3D users who took years to finally be able to feel in their hands, as close as it is possible in a PC-based sim, the handling of a P51d, Spitfire, Bf 109 .... I believe for those old school simmers ( cough .. cough .. I'm one too ) getting our hands on DCS is unreal... and we can easily get out of our minds :-) ( I am still trying to get the best out of it, and fighting to fly the Spit and the 109 properly ... )

(*) Because unfortunately I couldn't find in MSFS anywhere near the kind of feel DCS prop aircraft give me...

Edited by jcomm
Make sure words aren't wrongly interpreted...

Oh dear. :(

Hey Ron,

I just edited my post, just in case you thought it was intended as a critic to you :-) - quite on the contrary, since it was meant to show stratman59 your post was actually, and as usual, written with humor...

I made clear that "frustrated" applies, in my own case, to the fact that I was for ages waiting for the kind of realism DCS ww2 modules finally brought me...

And... I hope you're the same Ron Attwood from good old AVSIM, just as I am the same "jcomm" there :-) - if this is not the case, then my sincere appologies :-/

Edited by jcomm

James, DCS is fairly realisitic for a sim without force feedback. You can land this bird if you apply real world skills. A bunch of us can and do regular land with wheeling the mains on, checking forward and then allowing the tail wheel to settle. Three pointing is easier but keep her straight by pumping the breaks and dancing on the rudder pedals. Don't look to the side if you are using VR, use your peripheral vision as much as possible.

Also, keep a little power on when landing and your airspeed around 90 knots over the fence.

Practice and practice and you will get it. Hope that helps

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

Landing spitfire:

100% fuel and ammos,weight 7220

Carrier no move no speed:wind 10 kts

Carrier at 15 kts running:wind 10 kts

Will may to see that wheel's brakes are too strong,i wonder if a real spitfire is able to stop so short.

So to "james" the best way to learn something in playing with the kind of module,is to practice first on a difficult way.

And after landing on a regular runway will be easy.Remember that some bugs still again and again and maybe for a while.

So the game is not so bad,even if time to time weird behaviour happens.

more to come

Edited by cromhunt

• 2 weeks later...
I just can't land this thing without dipping a wingtip.

I think the issue is that I need to be going slowly enough that my rear wheel will contact the ground before the front wheels or all three wheels together.

This means the plane needs to have a high AOA and I'm kind of stalling it enough to not come down exactly level, or I get little bit of a bounce which is not quite even and enough to bouce me into an angle and tip a wing.

I'm think part of the issue is that the nose is so big I can't see the horizon to keep myself exactly level (am using the bank indicator in the last seconds) and it takes away my situational awareness.

Anyone have any tips? I've read the taildragger sticky already.

I had wingdips before. I recommend -4 to 0 boost on a 1800 RPM with shallow approach at 90-100 mph with cut throttle two meters from threshold and gentle flare. I'll post a video.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

@jamesp1 (post has disappeared?)

I still have reservations about the ground handling but the one thing I have learned is that the view from the cockpit is very misleading. Do not try to judge the 3 point landing attitude by looking out of the cockpit, flare to an artificial horizon image as in the attached (it's actually sitting on the ground there so it shows the 3-point attitude for landing). That attitude indicator is critical when learning. Also, I find a high approach avoids the risk of coming in too low and slow.

Also practice with a direct headwind, the instant actions don't always give you that. I'm attaching three simple curving approach missions into a headwind down the runway - read the briefs very carefully, they are all the same. Batumi is v1.5, the others v2.0.

Critical points:

1. Keep your height until beginning the turning descent to the runway.

2. Try to be at 90mph at the runway threshold to give you the speed to enter the flare and hold off from as low as possible.

3. Be certain that your wings are level, no yaw drift (too late for trimming, use very fine rudder adjustments if necessary), be sure the attitude indicator picture is correct. Allow speed to bleed off until touchdown which should be at around 65-70mph.

That should put you on a clean touchdown. Then it's a case of staying right on top of the run-on. Use rudders quickly but moderately and only as necessary. When the rudder begins to lose effectiveness support it with mild braking. Stay focused. Try not to overdue the rudders or braking or you will start a strong weave and probably lose it. Runways are long enough, reduce speed slowly.

Remember you are flying a simulator not a spitfire and you probably never will so the precise pilots notes may not do it for you, you have to use what works. Other methods will work too but I now get 100% success if I focus. Also, talk of wheeling on and other ideas are fine if you have had the practice but "first catch your Rabbit". Then you can fine tune and experiment with crosswinds etc..

LandingAttitude.thumb.jpg.6eb16be906fa0d5a498a6f021a187594.jpg

Spitfire MkIX Drem landing at Batumi.miz

SpitfireLFMkIX_Landing_Tangmere.miz

SpitfireLFMkIX_Landing_Laughlin-Nevada.miz

Edited by klem
v2.0 missions briefings edited.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit