Radar issues and other frustrating issues with M2K

Dagger71

I am trying to understand how the radar works and why I cannot spot su27 at BVR.

Doesn't this radar have a limit of 120nm???

I cannot even attempt to play with this plane outside of single player, as anything better than mig21/F4 doesn't appear on my radar and I am engaged from extreme distances while I am blind

my training consisted of videos like

and currently using Chuck's guide for reference.

I haven't attempted the campaign as I cannot even complete the " Through the inferno" single mission on normal difficulty.

My radar setup is

Using B Scan set to 2 Radar lines at 30 degree Scan.

I've approached from almost NOE altitude, I've approach from higher and I've approached from same alt, and see them on my RWR at my 12 o'clock. I have the antenna raised or lowered as needed, and nothing. I then start a climb or dive towards the contacts until I am seeing their labels and nothing on radar.

Also I believe there is still a bug where a contact disappears from radar (regardless of modes), so when firing one of only 2 530s, loosing contact, missile is useless, then you must go defensive which happens in 1/4 to 1/3 encounters.

It has made for some extremely frustrating sessions, not to mention the low speed drag issues.

How do any of you fly the M2K against Su27s? Are you constantly loosing radar contacts? Are you entering an encounter and your radar screen is completely blank from 60+nm right to overshoot?

What I have heard is that people have problems by losing locks. But while back ago when I fly the M2K (just got the INS as update) it was like I wouldn't have lost any contact ever when I didn't lock to them. But once locking to them, I started to lose them regardless did they maneuver or not and no matter on what altitude or attitude to them I was flying.

It took a lot from the aircraft when its combat capabilities were "odd lucky shots" -kind a feeling.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Su-27 is a big threat but you can kill it if you know what you are doing :).

Please post a track or a video highlighting the issues that you are having because I have no problems detecting aircrafts at ~35nm.

Same with the lost contacts, sometimes you will loose track of an ennemi without it being a bug so provide a track or a video.

BTW, the video you are linking is very old (1 year+), things must have changed from then.

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

Hey,

Try to go through the radar training mission first - I think most of the things like ranges etc are explained there. Then go for the air to air one.

As for the campaign it is built as a semi - training one so I would recommend trying it after flying the training missions. So before you get to real threats you should be confident enough to tackle them.

Cheers,

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

I tried your radar setting (2 bars, +/- 30°, B scope) on Caucasus Vs AI Su 27.

FL300 flying M0.95.

Su 27 same altitude, on burner around M1.2. Fully loaded for BVR.

AI setting to shoot at max range and "excellent" level.

RDI first detection range: 48Nm

Without using ECM, Flanker lock and shoot at 26Nm.

For a more aggressive approach, I turn "music" on, push to M1.2 and shoot at 20Nm then cranck nose down. Su 27 fire back at 16Nm. I expand chaffs and a few seconds later I reverse the turn for more safety.

The R-27ER misses and the Flanker is dead.

AI Su 27 is no match if you play well.

Fitting the Su 27 with ECM, the Flanker turns it on if I lock STT and still break my lock at 20Nm, I shoot at 18Nm...same result.

So IMHO yes, detection range is a bit low Vs such a large target than Flanker. But you're far from blind and defenseless...

On the other hand, with a +/- 60° (120°) and 4 bars radar scan, the detection range is pretty much the same.

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Flying the Su 27 Vs AI M-2000C first detection is 52Nm (5Nm advantage).

I'm unable to gain a solid lock before being shot at 22Nm (Mirage's ECM breaks the STT lock).

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

I do think there is a bug with the M2000 radar, it's performance seems to be very variable with the exact same scenario.

I set up a couple of missions so i could repeat the exact same parameters in terms of enemy aircraft, altitutdes, approach vectors etc. And sometimes the RDI behaves as you would expect it to, detecting out to 60km ish. But at other times it absolutely refuses to detect until 30-33km.

It's the fact that it always seems to occur at this 30-33km* (* based on inaccuracy of measuring distance with ruler in f10) that seems like it's an intermittent bug, and there is a hardcoded detection zone at 30km (ish) where probability of detection = 1, and outside this zone sometimes the radar flat out doesn't work.

Edited by Dugong

Look down and aspect angle will decrease detection range. And this is normal.

But discussing detection range without aspect angle, relative altitude and jammer use (from the target) won't allow us to determine if there is a bug or not.

Mirage fanatic !

Look down and aspect angle will decrease detection range. And this is normal.

But discussing detection range without aspect angle, relative altitude and jammer use (from the target) won't allow us to determine if there is a bug or not.

I'm saying it can happen at ALL altitudes, relative altitudes and angles, but im testing without jammers. The only constant is the detection range is ALWAYS 30km.

I'm saying it can happen at ALL altitudes, relative altitudes and angles, but im testing without jammers. The only constant is the detection range is ALWAYS 30km.

Are you sure you are talking about km and not nm ? Is your radar in HFR mode ?

If you want some help you should provide us a track where you show the problems you are experiencing.

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

Flying 25000ft, M0.9

target Su 25 head on, flying 300ft/ AGL, M0.5

Detection range 33-34Nm.

That's interesting, Su-27 and Su-25 should have almost the same RCS (Guess), so the look down shorted the detection range by about 1/3rd, that's quite a lot.

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

i learned a lot with this series of video. "Defensive Notching" seem to be the most efficient with the M2000-C

The guy is proficient in what he does, but some of his tactics are built on firing Fox 3 in "mad dog", so he doesn't support his missile after the shot.

Beware you can't use that with Fox 1 fighter.

You would rather try to make your enemy to shoot far away, then shoot and defeat his missile while supporting yours.

In returns a Fox 3 shooter may do what you see in these video: wait for your shot, fire back a Fox 3 to put you under pressure.

So the question is can you defeat the Fox 3 coming at you while supporting your Fox 1 in flight ?

If you can, you can pressure him and eventually win.

If you can't, you're dead or at least recommit will be really hard.

Mirage fanatic !