A very cheeky request.

Cowboy10uk

Hi guys, I have had a DK2 for a few years now and of course I love the 3D environment and immersion it brings to DCS with only the resolution letting it down.

Now I've heard from many of you how much of a difference the CV1 is to the DK2 in terms of its resolution, however I am understandably nervous of spending £500 on the promise that it's a better experience without testing it myself.

Despite visiting numerous currys / pc worlds / games throughout the country, I'll be damned if I can find one to try out, and I'm sure even if I did find one, I wouldn't be able to test it with DCS which would obviously be the best way.

So as a last resort, I'm wondering if I can throw myself at my fellow flight simmers mercy and ask is there ANYONE living near Staffordshire or even Penzance for the next 3 days with a Rift CV1, who would be willing to allow me to see it working for myself.

I know this is very cheeky, but I can't think of anyother way I might get to try it in DCS. Sadly I'm away on holiday for Cosford, which I'm guessing would have been my other option.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

I can't show you mine, but as a DK1-CV1 user I can relay my experience atleast.

The resolution isn't gamechanging with the CV1, but everything else is better.

Better ergonomics, tracking, less fiddling with setup and stuff since it's supported.

If you play in VR alot then it's worth it every day of the week, it's better in every way IMHO.

Even though the resolution isn't that much better, it's still better.

I've been playing online with other VR user without any major issues, you can't compete with monitor users in A/A, but A/G missions work just fine if you rely on planing and preperation.

I've flown the F5 and L39 mostly online.

I agree with Lob on the differences. Had a DK2 for a couple of weeks, didn't really rate it and was MUCH happier with the CV1.

For me, I didn't think the res was a lot better.

What was better was comfort, a big improvement in screen door and the legibility of finer details.

I'm based in south London, and you'd be welcome to visit if you're in the area.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Bromley area.

If you are close to me anytime soon you would be very welcome to give it a go.

1.5 & 2.1.1 loaded and working.

Regards,

Gary

I5 - 1TB SSHD, 256 SSD - Nvidia 1070 - 16gb ram - CV1

So I have DK2 and CV1, first off, I've recently been having a lot of trouble with (i think) the camera drivers for the DK2 and since ~March have been unable to get positional tracking to function. I fear this is a sign of things to come... However, the CV1 is much more comfortable. This would seem unimportant until you wear a headset for a BF round (~3 hours) and realize you could go for another 3-4 hours. As was previously stated the screen door effect is less noticeable in the CV1... a lot less noticeable. I believe the CV1 also has a slightly larger FOV. Maybe it just feels that way because the screen sit a bit closer to my eyes. I wear glasses and the CV1 is far better designed for the vision impaired! I live in the US, but you can feel free to stop by, lol. Full disclosure I have an old dog that smells like feet 4/5ths of the time...

Sorry Cowboy10uk, East midlands, 2 hours from you but rig is down for at least a month. A long way off, but in October the flight sim show at RAF Cosford museum is on your doorstep. Last year they had both VIVE & Rift rigs setup for us punters to have a go. There was an fsx warbird sim using Rift, A DCS mirage 2000 pit using Rift and an fsx Cessna pit using VIVE and Leap Motion Hands Inside. Big queues to fly them but worth it.

ASUS Maximus X Hero; i7-8700K OC'd @ 5 Ghz; Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Extreme 8GB; 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200Mhz RAM; 500GB Samsung EVO 960 SSD; Warthog HOTAS; Saitek Pro Flight Rudder pedals; HP Reverb VR; Realtus Forcefeel Game Pad running on SimShaker for Aviators software. :thumbup:

Hi guys, I have had a DK2 for a few years now and of course I love the 3D environment and immersion it brings to DCS with only the resolution letting it down.

Now I've heard from many of you how much of a difference the CV1 is to the DK2 in terms of its resolution, however I am understandably nervous of spending £500 on the promise that it's a better experience without testing it myself.

Despite visiting numerous currys / pc worlds / games throughout the country, I'll be damned if I can find one to try out, and I'm sure even if I did find one, I wouldn't be able to test it with DCS which would obviously be the best way.

So as a last resort, I'm wondering if I can throw myself at my fellow flight simmers mercy and ask is there ANYONE living near Staffordshire or even Penzance for the next 3 days with a Rift CV1, who would be willing to allow me to see it working for myself.

I know this is very cheeky, but I can't think of anyother way I might get to try it in DCS. Sadly I'm away on holiday for Cosford, which I'm guessing would have been my other option.

Cowboy10uk

The way I did my preview prior to purchase was by visiting a Microsoft store...they have a specially set-up demo area for both Oculus Rift and Vive. Hopefully you have a store near-by.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, thanks for the offers and advice.

Request is no longer required. With the Rift sale currently on, I really had no reason not to get the full bundle for £398. ( well at least until the wife finds out ;) )

So I get to test it myself now. :D

Happy flying everyone.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh: