New map idea: open water

Mr_sukebe

Another reason why there should be terrain mods allowed. Any decent modder could knock this out of the park. Worried about map sales? Attach the mod kit to a map so you have to purchase the map to have it modded. Similar to how modders have made the f18 flyable with the flaming cliffs avionics. Imagine an NTTR modded to include a rough coast line with Southern California water. Would probably double map sales.

Use dll or other release material has not allowed to use on MODs.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=178996

Terrain MODs has not allowed by missing SDK.

Use dll or other release material has not allowed to use on MODs.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=178996

Terrain MODs has not allowed by missing SDK.

there are plenty of user files on the dcs website that add flyable planes. most i have seen are exterior mods but the cockpit and flight model is the exact same as su 25 or f-15. im not sure im following what youre saying. Do these violate terms of service?

there are plenty of user files on the dcs website that add flyable planes. most i have seen are exterior mods but the cockpit and flight model is the exact same as su 25 or f-15. im not sure im following what youre saying. Do these violate terms of service?

Actually, yes if you integrate them on you MODs. Not sure if the "assign" by LUA a external ED / 3rd party can be a violation of terms of service.

Furthermore, No User Modifications are Permitted to Re-Distribute Any Eagle Dynamics owned I.P.

These Include:

-Protected/UnProtected DLLs and Associated LUA Code

-Cockpit EDM Files

-External Model EDM Files

Actually, yes if you integrate them on you MODs. Not sure if the "assign" by LUA a external ED / 3rd party can be a violation of terms of service.

I think you're wrong here, chief. The mods don't distribute any release files. They just MOD your already purchased flaming cliffs dlls. If you don't own the f-15, the f-18 mod wouldn't work. And some of these mods have been available for years on the DCS website. Surely they would do something if people were using their own domain to pirate software.

• Like 1

Can you imagine how hectic this map would be online? 20+ ppl online all jockeying to take off or land from one airfield...of which 3/4 of the pilots can barely land the WW2 aircraft on land alone much less an aircraft carrier...and the TKs will go through the roof! Ill just barely mention the lack of any aircraft that has an arrestor hook modeled for aircraft -for any era-. Granted it would get people trained up in a big hurry, but I also see it becoming boring after a while.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

• 2 weeks later...

Okey, what are we going to do to get this???? this post didnt got too far...

THIS really needs to happen. its just water. lol

• Like 1

I7 7700k - Msi Z270 Gaming+

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

2x Samsung 850EVO 250/500 - 1x HDD 1TB

SAITEK-MAD CATZ CYBORG FLY 5 STICK

WIN 10

To be fair, the current default DCS map has a lot of water. The detailed land portion of the map is on the small side, but if you include the entire Black Sea it's a fair sized map. One issue would be having the airfields all clustered to one side, but this is fixable with user created airfields. We have this already for WWII dirt fields, now we just need an extension to full size airbases. It would completely transform the Caucasus map along with the 2.5 overhaul.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Here's an idea, how about something like SF2 NA map? Essentially open ocean in all directions but had Iceland as well. For me it would be good to have a Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising situation. There was a former US Naval Air Station based at Keflavík as well as an NRTF at Grindavík

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Waterworld .

A Generic Land Map wouldnt hurt either.... and it has been done w/ success before.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I'm conscious that we have carrier's already, more on the way, and 3 new carrier borne aircraft that we're about to get (Harrier, F14 and F18). Additionally, we have several helis.

So how about a map with nothing but water?

I can't help but think that the technology for the weather exists, so wouldn't it be virtually free to do?

Sure, might be nice to have some islands, but if we keep it ultra simple, then it should require virtually no effort at all. Would certainly be a nice freebie to include with any of the new aircraft.

Linked to the simplicity of the map, I would expect the graphics requirements to be pretty low (no buildings, trees etc). So could it also be pretty damn big, e.g. 500*500km, thus allowing some genuine cat and mouse between fleets.

I swear I this occurred to me a lot. They could spend time on getting waves to be all "wavy" and realistically. That could also lead to updating water in existing maps. I thought have an area with a small clutter of islands with maybe an empty runway and nothing else, to simulate what the chinese are doing.

In order to successfully "play" DCS, you need:

1. A Supercomputer

2. The budget of the US department of defense

I also like the idea of generic maps being made available... the idea of a land or naval map not necessarily rooted in geographic accuracy would actually really open up mission making possibilities for all eras quite a bit.

Its really a silly thing that can't be ignored... creating missions in real world locales kind of breaks immersion in an odd way because it violates my innate sense of history. Generic naval maps with atolls or land maps would actually shed those shackles in a weird way.

• Like 1

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

I'd like a mostly-water map too. Lots of real-world areas that could be used.

Note also this would require some cleanup/rework of existing navigation code (to find your own boat) since some of the TACAN modes are hard-coded to certain use cases which isn't accurate in real life.

• 6 months later...
Wasn't Leatherneck/Heatblur already working on this at one point? It's still in the list of stuff to be included with the F-14. And from one of the Q&A's with Cobra

Im going to throw out a random guess.

North Atlantic map. Cold and very oceany with an ICeland being the only land mass, without much on it.

A hypothetical Cold war scenario, that could have happened.

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/russias-crazy-plan-win-world-war-iii-invade-iceland-19143

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Im going to throw out a random guess.

North Atlantic map. Cold and very oceany with an ICeland being the only land mass, without much on it.

A hypothetical Cold war scenario, that could have happened.

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/russias-crazy-plan-win-world-war-iii-invade-iceland-19143

Maybe, but with a single land mass, you're limiting the map to carrier-only aircraft.

You ideally want a large body of water that also has land on both sides, and possibly in the middle as well.

Iceland could work, but then you'd also want Norway / Denmark / Northern UK as well.

Maybe, but with a single land mass, you're limiting the map to carrier-only aircraft.

You ideally want a large body of water that also has land on both sides, and possibly in the middle as well.

Iceland could work, but then you'd also want Norway / Denmark / Northern UK as well.

Not necessarily, I know we're not supposed to talk about or make comparison to other software but SF2 NA did it brilliantly - open ocean + Iceland, normally scenarios were against surface action groups using ship-borne aircraft, but also you could easily have scenarios with short-range CAS within Iceland itself (say BLUFOR on the west, REDFOR on the east) or have ship borne aircraft vs land-based aircraft - it's not necessarily restricted solely to ship borne aircraft.

Here's a proposal I have for a North Atlantic map, just by doing my best at drawing a rectangle in Google Earth.

QBaJglf.png

The map measures up at roughly 1,740x840km, the polygon I've drawn in GE is roughly 1,450,000km^2, of which ~104,500km^2 is landmass - roughly a third of the NTTR map. It includes Iceland, the Faroe Islands and the Shetland Islands, it also includes Fair Isles. It just falls short of the Orkney islands and so is entirely bordered by water.

Iceland has 32 airports dotted around it, most of which are solely public or are private, but in DCS we have a sandbox so can do what we like. Only Keflavík really has military presence in the aircraft sense (NASKEF). There are other military installations on Iceland (such as NRTF Grindavik) but not much, I believe there are plans for a military airbase somewhere on Iceland by the US.

The Faroe islands are Danish territory 470km to the southwest of Iceland. It has 1 airport (Vágar Airport) and as far as I can tell doesn't have a military presence, but that's not to say we can't as mission designers add military installations semi-prepared airbases or unprepared ones. (Vágar Airport was initially a WWII development, so it has at least abandoned military heritage).

The Shetland Islands have 8 airports with paved runways, of which realistically only Sumburgh and Scatsa are potential candidates for what we have currently.

Sumburgh (formally RAF Sumburgh during WWII) currently has 2 runways, one is 1.5km long, the other 1.426km long - which is just about long enough for some of the aircraft we currently have in DCS, but it will be a bit tricky.

Scatsa (again a WWII development, formerly RAF Scatsa) has a single 1.36km runway - we're pushing it a bit here.

Both Sumburgh and Scatsa are slightly larger than the 'X' airfield near Kobuleti on the current Caucasus map, just for a sense of scale.

The rest of the airfields, are essentially just a short single runway and not much else, some don't even have a parking area at all. All the airfields are public/privately owned. There is a military presence to the North (RRH Saxa Vold) which could serve as a strategic location, but isn't an airbase, just an ex (but due to be reactivated) remote radar head.

Most of the terrain in the Shetlands is relatively flat and barren - perfect for potential sites for constructing FOBs and semi-prepared airbases. Maybe in the future we could effectively build airbases in the mission editor with static objects (such as runways, aprons, hangars, towers, NAVAIDs, lights etc) providing we get the assets for them.

The other alternative is to extend quite a bit further south (~280km) to include the most northerly UK airbase - RAF (formely RNAS) Lossiemouth, which is ~270km from the southern tip of the Shetland islands. Lossiemouth has adjacent to it RAF Milltown - now closed, used as a transmitting site for the RAF VOLMET and STCICS. Adding this region adds 20,000km^2 but cuts up the Outer Hebrides, and the northern portion of Inner Hebrides, something I think is undesirable (I like having areas as complete as possible).

The problem here is that the landscape is much more complex, the Shetland Islands are fairly flat and barren, the only complicated bits are the cliffs; the Faroe islands are more hilly but otherwise relatively featureless (but still looks great IMO - perfect for a quasi-Falklands bomb alley scenario) and Iceland more complex and featureful, but still mostly barren. The north of Scotland however has pretty complex terrain, both along the coasts and further in land as well as complex archipelagos and features more populated areas. If it could be done, getting as much area as possible that would be great, but for me something like Iceland, the Faroe Islands and the Shetlands seems perfect and more doable in a (hopefully) much shorter time frame.

For a predominantly naval map, it would be great to see underwater, with a sea bed - which the current 2.5 Caucasus map has got darn near nailed (apart from we can't go there - yet), I think Normandy has it to (but I don't own it). But one thing I'd like to eliminate that's present in Normandy is land borders where there should be ocean. The map I propose is entirely bordered by Ocean, so preferably/hopefully no land borders and instead endless water and underwater land.

This map has ample area for multiple surface action groups/battlegroups, is near perfect for amphibious operations whilst also supporting logistics and long-range bombing. Obviously it's more catered for naval operations (both above and below the waves) but land based aircraft and land based conflict still doable (you could kind of envision a Falklands style campaign). Yes larger aircraft aren't so great because the only airport with large runways is Keflavík, the rest are only suited to aircraft that can do short-field operations - though we could still operate Hercules aircraft including KC-130, we just need to be careful with aircraft and how heavily we load them, but then all the more reason to have airfield arresting cables that we can place as we desire (even if it's not strictly their intended purpose).

Just on the side whilst I don't mind flat-earth projection for now, I wonder if this map, if it were to be considered could use spherical projection? Not really that important, just an idea.

Blimey, death by words much, but any thoughts on this?

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Not necessarily, I know we're not supposed to talk about or make comparison to other software but SF2 NA did it brilliantly - open ocean + Iceland, normally scenarios were against surface action groups using ship-borne aircraft, but also you could easily have scenarios with short-range CAS within Iceland itself (say BLUFOR on the west, REDFOR on the east) or have ship borne aircraft vs land-based aircraft - it's not necessarily restricted solely to ship borne aircraft.

Here's a proposal I have for a North Atlantic map, just by doing my best at drawing a rectangle in Google Earth.

QBaJglf.png

The map measures up at roughly 1,740x840km, the polygon I've drawn in GE is roughly 1,450,000km^2, of which ~104,500km^2 is landmass - roughly a third of the NTTR map. It includes Iceland, the Faroe Islands and the Shetland Islands, it also includes Fair Isles. It just falls short of the Orkney islands and so is entirely bordered by water.

Iceland has 32 airports dotted around it, most of which are solely public or are private, but in DCS we have a sandbox so can do what we like. Only Keflavík really has military presence in the aircraft sense (NASKEF). There are other military installations on Iceland (such as NRTF Grindavik) but not much, I believe there are plans for a military airbase somewhere on Iceland by the US.

The Faroe islands are Danish territory 470km to the southwest of Iceland. It has 1 airport (Vágar Airport) and as far as I can tell doesn't have a military presence, but that's not to say we can't as mission designers add military installations semi-prepared airbases or unprepared ones. (Vágar Airport was initially a WWII development, so it has at least abandoned military heritage).

The Shetland Islands have 8 airports with paved runways, of which realistically only Sumburgh and Scatsa are potential candidates for what we have currently.

Sumburgh (formally RAF Sumburgh during WWII) currently has 2 runways, one is 1.5km long, the other 1.426km long - which is just about long enough for some of the aircraft we currently have in DCS, but it will be a bit tricky.

Scatsa (again a WWII development, formerly RAF Scatsa) has a single 1.36km runway - we're pushing it a bit here.

Both Sumburgh and Scatsa are slightly larger than the 'X' airfield near Kobuleti on the current Caucasus map, just for a sense of scale.

The rest of the airfields, are essentially just a short single runway and not much else, some don't even have a parking area at all. All the airfields are public/privately owned. There is a military presence to the North (RRH Saxa Vold) which could serve as a strategic location, but isn't an airbase, just an ex (but due to be reactivated) remote radar head.

Most of the terrain in the Shetlands is relatively flat and barren - perfect for potential sites for constructing FOBs and semi-prepared airbases. Maybe in the future we could effectively build airbases in the mission editor with static objects (such as runways, aprons, hangars, towers, NAVAIDs, lights etc) providing we get the assets for them.

The other alternative is to extend quite a bit further south (~280km) to include the most northerly UK airbase - RAF (formely RNAS) Lossiemouth, which is ~270km from the southern tip of the Shetland islands. Lossiemouth has adjacent to it RAF Milltown - now closed, used as a transmitting site for the RAF VOLMET and STCICS. Adding this region adds 20,000km^2 but cuts up the Outer Hebrides, and the northern portion of Inner Hebrides, something I think is undesirable (I like having areas as complete as possible).

The problem here is that the landscape is much more complex, the Shetland Islands are fairly flat and barren, the Faroe islands are more hilly but otherwise relatively featureless (but still looks great IMO) and Iceland more complex and featureful. The north of Scotland has pretty complex terrain, as well as complex archipelagos and is much more populated. If it could be done, getting as much area as possible that would be great, but to me something like Iceland, the Faroe Islands and the Shetlands seems more doable in a (hopefully) much shorter time frame.

For a predominantly naval map, it would be great to see underwater, with a sea bed - which the current 2.5 Caucasus map has, I think Normandy has it to. But one thing I'd like to eliminate that's present in Normandy is land borders where there should be ocean. The map I propose is entirely bordered by Ocean, so preferably/hopefully no land borders and instead endless water and underwater land.

Just on the side whilst I don't mind flat-earth projection for now, I wonder if this map, if it were to be considered could use spherical projection? Not really that important, just an idea.

Blimey, death by words much, but any thoughts on this?

Sound like a great idea :thumbup:

Even more expansive than the SF2 NA map.

Edited by Kev2go
  • Like 1

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Not really. Iceland HAs airfields.

USSR can have already captured airfields on the other side of island to allow for land based fighters.

ANd have nato have 1 airfield, the Keflavik INt airport requisitioned for Land fighter use.

While this would Be carrier focused. IE F14's providing air cover and first gain air supriority, the main job would be for Attackers like the A7 and/ or A6 to Support US naval Ships in attacking Naval Fleet. Either way, if one isn't going to be afraid of anachronistic planes for "balance", Russia does have KUzenstov Carrier plus Su33 air superiority naval fighter, so they aren't forced to just Land based aircraft.

It would be upt to the mission to how they set it up. One land mass wouldn't be limiting and like lunatic offered it could be made even larger to include more sea and some very small islands.

I wouldn't use the excuse that if we introduced North Atlantic map with Iceland the community would suddenly want and be able to force all those other locations like UK, Denmark or Norway into it. By that logic why bother make any maps after Caucasus for DCS ? That reasoning doesn't make sense.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Azovi Sea map with 21 airfields? Primorsko-Akhtarsk, Yeysk, Aksay, Oktyabrskiy, Taganrog-North, Taganrog-South, Mariupol, Bergyanszk, Tokmark, Melitopol, Genichesk + Dzhankoy, Krasnogvardejskoe, Kerch, Kirovskoe, Anapa, Novorossysk Gelendzhik, Krymsk, Krasnodar-Center, Krasnodar-Pashkovsky

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

The Sea of Azov is a pretty small region - not exactly suitable for large naval operations. Plus we practically already have it, minus the other airfields with the Caucasus map.

System:

Sure, but only 3 of them are paved I think, all in the western half.

Akureyri vs Keflavik?

I dont know which airfields were Paved IN the cold war, but today looking from google maps seems the majority of them are.

Even then i dont see a problem for Redforces as many planes including the Mig29 and Su27s have more rugged landing gear compared to many American AF aircraft.. They were designed to be take off from poor quality landing strips or From Roadways converted into strips. They can handle taking off from a unpaved Strip.

IF "balance" is a concern, that Soviets cant put up any Naval avation assets up in the air ( this would apply to any other sea based map) its up to the Mission Designer to still decide whether or not to throw in the Kuzentov carrier, to deploy Su33's from, even if it is anachronistic for the cold war period.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro