WIP: F/A-18C Throttle Quadrant

jrsteensen

So...Huey...kinda lost interest in. Getting back into F/A-18C pit with the impending release.

My goal for this pit is to be able to build the entire pit with a X-Carve 1000mm and a Prusa i3 MK2S 3D printer and hand tools. One minor deviation from this is my throttle quadrant, which will be able to mostly be done by hand with a drill press, grinder, and sander. (Unless I can tweak my X-Carve to mill the .125 THK plate required.)

The entire pit with models and drawings will eventually be released under a CC license.

So far this throttle quadrant will function identically to the real throttle with solenoid driven Flight IDLE and AB detents, and provisions for attaching steppers/servos/linear drivers for auto-throttle, as well as exactly realistic locations for each throttle position.

The only intentional deviation so far is friction will be set by the nuts on either throttle arm. Friction lever will be used as an axis. (I've gotten waaaaay too used to having zoom under my fingers.)

The only thing I don't have so far is enough data on the throttle grips to replicate them well. If anyone else does, I'd really, really appreciate it.

Edited by jrsteensen
Typos

Nice! I can't wait to see it becoming real

Sent from my SM-A500M using Tapatalk

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

• 1 year later...
I might have misinterpreted the pic but it looks like in that model you require the finger lifts to get past the AB gate?

Both gates (Ground IDLE and AB) have a solenoid driven detent. There is also a hard lift for the AB gate. This is based off of real throttle parts, so those gates are copied from the real thing.

Edited by jrsteensen

Accurate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

WIP: F/A-18C Throttle Quadrant

Interesting. That rail is mic-ed out from the real throttle parts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Which one?

Anyway, AB detent is a push through. Idle a finger lift necessity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

• 2 weeks later...

Gents,

I got the chance to look at this a little closer. What appears to be a hard lift after the AB detent is just a relief for the finger lifts. They are a little thicker in that area than the original because they are printed vs milled.

Gents,

I got the chance to look at this a little closer. What appears to be a hard lift after the AB detent is just a relief for the finger lifts. They are a little thicker in that area than the original because they are printed vs milled.

Sounds good :thumbup:

Howd you go with the throttle grip? Did the blueprint posted on hornet pits help out at all?

Sounds good

Howd you go with the throttle grip? Did the blueprint posted on hornet pits help out at all?

It is a valuable asset, even though quite a few key dims were missing. We did secure a real inboard grip, so between the two we should be able to extrapolate the outboard grip pretty well.