Win 10 up-date!

I had resisted updating to win 10 from 7 64bit for some time.

Figured "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

After reading many posts here about how much it was liked, I investigated further.

It would appear the benefits of up-dating any many.

Not the least of which, win 7 has no more support.

So, I have gone ahead and "bit the bullet!"

After setting things up the way I want and using it for awhile I am VERY HAPPY!

This seems to run better on my machine than 7!

More spiffy!

So anyone "on the fence" about up-dating, I can Highly recommend it!

You have 20 days to revert if you do not like it.

Or you can reinstall 7 from scratch.

Get it here FREE! :)

You must use assistive technologies........

If you use assistive technologies, you can upgrade to Windows 10 at no cost. Microsoft continues its efforts to improve the Windows 10 experience for people who use these technologies.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/windows10upgrade

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

I think "Sometimes" Microsoft Windows in general gets an unfair bad rep after the disaster the was Vista. I was a XP hold out when Windows 8.1 was rolling out and had no intention of switching until I was forced to for driver support. I have to say allot of issues people have with Windows I do not have and the few minor annoyance can be quickly Googled for help. Windows 10 feels like a culmination of everything they did right with 7 and 8 and I am very happy with it. Is it perfictt? no far from it but hey...at least it aint Vista!

Windows 10 Pro 64, I5 4690k @4.6GHz with CAPTIAN 240EX AOI, Samsung 850 EVO ,G Skill Ripjaws 16G RAM, Nvidia GTX 970 STRIX, MSI Z97 GAMING 5, WD Blue 1TB HDD, Seasonic M12 II EVO psu, Track IR 5, Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S

Having used every version of Windows, except Vista, since 3.0, I find Win10 to be quite acceptable. There is always something to complain about but the same can be said about almost anything.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I started with Windows 3, and have used every version since - yes even including Vista... I know I know.

I really loved Windows XP, also really loved Windows 7.

Windows 8 was not too bad though a big change in GUI.

I am really liking Windows 10, certainly seems to be very robust. Not real crazy about the update process now, but things change I guess. Still all in all I have had 0 issues with it and my games run great on it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I use Windows only as a means to run the games and software applications that I need or enjoy ... so, if my Windows is not giving me any problems, why should I update to a newer version?

Thats why I wont upgrade my Windows until there is a compulsory need to do so ... I dont know if my older hardware would all be compatible with windows 10, I dont know if my older games and applications would be compatible, I dont know if Windows 10 would be slower than my current Windows ... why should I risk to spend time and effort fixing these kind of issues?

So, while I enjoy updating DCS and dont regret having installed DCS 2.1 while it still isnt fully worked out ... cant say the same about Windows and will keep my current one for a long time yet.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Because running Windows Server isn't optimal for gaming. There are a lot of overhead on a server that you simply don't need. Of course if you need a Win server and gaming is a side job, than I totally get it. But keep in mind that unsupported OS means no security updates which leads to security lapses that can bite you.

If anyone has VR, Win10 is mandatory to use features like Async Space Warp. So there are compelling reasons to upgrade.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Sorry guys...I'm on the other end of Windows 10. Cannot stand the limits that Microsoft has imposed on the control that users have over the software. The fact that you cannot get their snooping spyware out of the program without it effecting the the performance of it is just ridiculous. Cortana can take a flying leap. I have never been a conspiracy theory kind of guy. I've always found those people to be just off the deep end. But Microsoft has gone so far into the big brother realm that it's friggin scary. My big issue is that I could care less if they share all of my info, browsing habits, or even social media conversation (of which there are very few) with any government. It's not the governments that scare me. By and large they're too inept to do much harm. But Microsoft shares it with the most dangerous entities on earth........media and ad agencies. And they absolutely do not give you that choice as the user of their product. You may think that they do but they don't.

So far as I am concerned, as soon as this rig gets out of date, Microsoft is a thing of the past for me. It's Apple from here on in. Easier to keep nogoodnicks out of my computer.

I know that I won't be able to run DCS any more but it's a small price to pay to be rid of Microsoft.

Sorry guys...I'm on the other end of Windows 10. Cannot stand the limits that Microsoft has imposed on the control that users have over the software. The fact that you cannot get their snooping spyware out of the program without it effecting the the performance of it is just ridiculous. Cortana can take a flying leap. I have never been a conspiracy theory kind of guy. I've always found those people to be just off the deep end. But Microsoft has gone so far into the big brother realm that it's friggin scary. My big issue is that I could care less if they share all of my info, browsing habits, or even social media conversation (of which there are very few) with any government. It's not the governments that scare me. By and large they're too inept to do much harm. But Microsoft shares it with the most dangerous entities on earth........media and ad agencies. And they absolutely do not give you that choice as the user of their product. You may think that they do but they don't.

So far as I am concerned, as soon as this rig gets out of date, Microsoft is a thing of the past for me. It's Apple from here on in. Easier to keep nogoodnicks out of my computer.

I know that I won't be able to run DCS any more but it's a small price to pay to be rid of Microsoft.

Which all points to the fact that using a vpn while online is the only way to protect yourself.

YMMV

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

People like to bash Vista... it wasn't as large of a disaster Windows ME was...

anyway, Win10 is very good OS, however you need to remember that it's also the biggest spyware to date, so bare in mind you need to turn off pretty much every telemetry option possible if you like to gain some of your privacy back.

anyway, Win10 is very good OS, however you need to remember that it's also the biggest spyware to date, so bare in mind you need to turn off pretty much every telemetry option possible if you like to gain some of your privacy back.

We should post how this is done for everyone to see!

A "How to" post perhaps?

Any volunteers?

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

You can think "I have nothing to hide from M$" and OK that all of yours is shared between M$ and all their "Trusted (but unknown) third-parties" - it's up to you and your privacy meaning.

But consider the chance that any other update can turn your PC in to brick.

If you OK to let M$ to decide what hardware and software you will use at any moment of time - OK, go for it, praise MS and up-date.

Until it sleeps.

Всех убью, один останусь!

If you OK to let M$ to decide what hardware and software you will use at any moment of time - OK, go for it, praise MS and up-date.

Until it sleeps.

I think some folks have been worried about that for quite some time now.

I can still run my hardware and software of preference, without any issue.

Perhaps that day will come, I don't know. But for now I don't have much concern about it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I think some folks have been worried about that for quite some time now.

I can still run my hardware and software of preference, without any issue.

Perhaps that day will come, I don't know. But for now I don't have much concern about it.

The Day - is the actual key-point.

I'm personally unable to allow MS to decide if I'm ready to lost my 6-year development project or simpit with 10-years history. Keeping aside inevitable updates with inevitable reboots in the middle of rendering as example.

Your computer is now not yours and you are the product. This is the main concern, not all that funky crap like ugly Metro, useless-windows-store, embarrassing run menu, non-working-game-mode, you-pay-for-all-crossplatform-support, +3FPS-DX12, spying and other marketing bull$hit.

No offense, but the difference in our priorities is obvious. ;)

P.S. I'm happy that you happy with your PC. Really. I can go away from this topic, just let me know. ^)

Всех убью, один останусь!

I've been on Win 10 for more than a year, however I got quickly bored by the dull looking interface especially tabs and weird blurry fonts.I know the looks have to change but not to worse.

I understand as os it's more sophisticated than the 7 but until It's not absolutely necessary I'm staying with seven.

Intel i5-9600k - Asus TUF Z390 - 32GB DDR4 corsair - Gigabyte RTX 2070 - Seasonic 620W - SSD Crucial, HDD Seagate

Absolutely.

Quoted from the linked article.

Rather than relying on some tool to change the settings for you, learn what Windows 10’s privacy settings do and change them yourself.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I think "Sometimes" Microsoft Windows in general gets an unfair bad rep after the disaster the was Vista. Is it perfictt? no far from it but hey...at least it aint Vista!

I don't get why people hated Vista so much... I had it and it ran fine for me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can't understand how most people agree to this stuff.

Many don't and just turn it off. Not an issue.

Because running Windows Server isn't optimal for gaming. There are a lot of overhead on a server that you simply don't need.

I agree partially ... but my point wasnt the specific version of Windows that you use

... my point was that what's really meaningful are our games and Apps, Windows is so secondary that I wont risk my current stability for an uncertain upgrade that I dont really need. I'd rather invest my time and efforts on DCS and my other Apps.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Many don't and just turn it off. Not an issue.

I completely disagree. I had no idea when I loaded 10 from 8 that there would be a ton of software that cannot be turned of or worked around.

If you think that you are turning off Cortana when you hit that "Off" box you are most very sadly mistaken. It still keeps sending all of your info to Microsoft whether it is on or off. I called Microsoft support to ask them how to completely shut it down and they were very uncooperative. They actually asked me why I want it turn it completely off. In the end, they would not share any info on how to shut Cortana down with me. So I got a guru to show me. When I did get it completely disabled, there was a lot of stuff that I had to give up. Since I do not care about much of the things it shut down along with Cortana I was able to live with it.

However......some time later Microsoft caught on to what people were doing and with every update, they would go in and undo what I did to shut it down. And then they just made it so you couldn't use that method without major issues any more. It's ridiculous!!!

Again....Apple from here on in. Microsoft has just turned my stomach upside down with this business. And again.....I don't care about the government. I'm not doing anything that I want to hide from them, and they're not all that competent anyway. But the world of cyber marketing is terrifying and probably the most evil bunch of crooks ever to walk the earth.......they replaced Lawyers in my book.

• Like 1

Sure, there are things in W10 we all dont like and (try to) turn them off etc..

The thing is, unless another 25% of all users move to Mac or Linux things in Redmond won't change much I am afraid.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Still on Windows 8.1 x64 here and i have no plans to goto W10 in the near future (but ONLY if a game forces me to use DX12 which thankfully hasn't happened yet)

THIS... me too. I'll stick with what's working until DX12, or something else drives me to Win10. Such a CV2 in 2018/2019... ;):megalol:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I respect your stance on privacy issues. But on the highlighted part, Apple goes to GREAT lengths to hide control in the name of "ease of use" So make sure you do your homework.

If you're familiar with Unix, you can drop to shell and be quite comfortable. But of course, there's some irony there.

But giving up DCS, that's being committed to the cause!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1