Oculus Rift Summer sale

Koriel

The Rift has landed, along with the touch controllers.

:D

Can't get on PC for a few days, but Thursday is a Rift day.

:thumbup:

Looking forward to hearing your initial impressions.

Take your time, go ahead and get everything set up, and go through all of the Touch tutorial. It will be well worth it in the end.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very tempted to jump on this deal. I'm still running an i7-920 system, which I've oc'd to 4ghz - its currently running at 3.7 though. I've got a 970 in my rig with 12gb's of mem., but I don't have an SSD - a single 7200rpm hd - and i'm lacking usb 3.0 inputs. I suppose I can pop in a ssd and install dcs on it and throw in a usb 3.0 pci-e controller for the ports. Just not sure if those upgrades are worth it at this point or are functionally feasible.

I may just buy it and just keep it in it's box, collecting dust until I take the plunge and make the long overdue new system build. At the moment i'm torn over which platform to take the plunge with and which platform will yield the most longevity: 1151, 2066, AM4.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

I'm very tempted to jump on this deal. I'm still running an i7-920 system, which I've oc'd to 4ghz - its currently running at 3.7 though. I've got a 970 in my rig with 12gb's of mem., but I don't have an SSD - a single 7200rpm hd - and i'm lacking usb 3.0 inputs. I suppose I can pop in a ssd and install dcs on it and throw in a usb 3.0 pci-e controller for the ports. Just not sure if those upgrades are worth it at this point or are functionally feasible.

I may just buy it and just keep it in it's box, collecting dust until I take the plunge and make the long overdue new system build. At the moment i'm torn over which platform to take the plunge with and which platform will yield the most longevity: 1151, 2066, AM4.

Depends if you plan on doing those upgrades soon. If not, wait until you do then buy one. Letting it sit there in a box is kind of pointless if you can't enjoy it the way you want.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Well technically I think with the exception of the lack of USB 3 ports, your system would meet min requirements. You would just need to add the USB3 powered PCIe card. I use the Innatek , which is recommended by Oculus, and it works great for me.

Now whether the performance you get with your rig in VR would be worth it to you might be another thing.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I just bit the bullet, too.

Knowing my luck, they'll announce a much improved Rift 2 in a couple of weeks. ;)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Knowing my luck, they'll announce a much improved Rift 2 in a couple of weeks. ;)

Nah we've got until 2019 before they release another according to some articles I read on Reddit.

• Like 1

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

... Rift 2 in a couple of weeks. ;)

Cool, and thank you. :P

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Congrats man, you will love it!

I think you are safe, talk of next gen has been around early 2019.

• Like 1

Don B

Thanks guys. Very excited to be part of the VR gang soon. :D

• Like 1

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Thanks guys. Very excited to be part of the VR gang soon. :D

You'll never go back! congrats! :thumbup:

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Sold my CV1 before due to some burnout/depression issues I couldnt help myself now, at this price just had to have it again! Really missing the Huey. Its just not the same in 2d. Getting a 1080 TI for the same price that i payed for my 1080 that i returned too so thats a bonus.

Really cant wait!

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

I Also was pushed off the fence by the latest price drop, I got everything home and setup last night but couldnt get DCS to work, I got into the main menu but cannot interact with the options, although they highlight blue when I mouse over, I cannot actually click on them, I tried various controllers and the mouse but nothing worked. Im sure im doing something wrong and did not spend much time trying to fix it last night as there was too much else to see (if DCS feels as good as Elite, Ill be very happy!)

Has anyone else overcome this problem already?

I Also was pushed off the fence by the latest price drop, I got everything home and setup last night but couldnt get DCS to work, I got into the main menu but cannot interact with the options, although they highlight blue when I mouse over, I cannot actually click on them, I tried various controllers and the mouse but nothing worked. Im sure im doing something wrong and did not spend much time trying to fix it last night as there was too much else to see (if DCS feels as good as Elite, Ill be very happy!)

Has anyone else overcome this problem already?

Gotta be in true full screen.

Press ALT+Enter after DCS loads.

Don B

Thank you!

Most welcome.

That one had me pulling my hair out after first getting my Rift as well.

Don B

Trying to prepare myself here. Those that have one, is it possible to glance down and see your keyboard? Do you take it off each time to answer radio calls, contact tower, departure, etc?

The only switches I have kind of memorized on the throttle area are the apu, radar, eac, autopilot.

How does one handle these while you are in 3-d? I hear about a voice program but does that require modification of the application?

Trying to prepare myself here. Those that have one, is it possible to glance down and see your keyboard? Do you take it off each time to answer radio calls, contact tower, departure, etc?

There is a small gap below the nose, one can glance down at the keyboard.

However I find, trying to reach out and press a key whilst doing so to be rather difficult and cumbersome.

Best is to have a good HOTAS with most needed commands assigned to buttons, and from what I understand Voice Attack is a great program for wingman commands and ATC.

I have not tried Voice Attack yet but plan on doing so here very soon.

I have the Warthog setup and have gotten my button assignments where for the most part I never need to reach out for the keyboard.

Don B

There is a small gap below the nose, one can glance down at the keyboard.

However I find, trying to reach out and press a key whilst doing so to be rather difficult and cumbersome.

Best is to have a good HOTAS with most needed commands assigned to buttons, and from what I understand Voice Attack is a great program for wingman commands and ATC.

I have not tried Voice Attack yet but plan on doing so here very soon.

I have the Warthog setup and have gotten my button assignments where for the most part I never need to reach out for the keyboard.

Mind sharing your warthog setup? I'm using the tm warthog as well. I have the left throttle button assigned to landing gear up/down. Although sometimes I gotta press it twice for the gear to engage. I think I need to check off sync controls in the misc options section.

I had the pinky lever on the stick assigned to wheel brake but since I have pedals now, I don't use that anymore. I think everything else is assigned to something.

I don't mind using my mouse because I moved my keyboard up and just have it in between the throttle and stick at my desk.

The headset is coming next week and the controllers the week after. Just trying to have everything ready so I can spend the most time getting acquainted to VR and tweaking for best settings/visuals. Hopefully I don't need motion sickness medicine lol. I've flown a real plane before and never got sick but who knows.

Mind sharing your warthog setup? I'm using the tm warthog as well. I have the left throttle button assigned to landing gear up/down. Although sometimes I gotta press it twice for the gear to engage. I think I need to check off sync controls in the misc options section.

Well that might be somewhat difficult as I have all my controls assigned in the game GUI and of course module specific. I do try and keep them fairly common across the button commands.

Probably main thing is I use my paddle on the joystick as a modifier, to increase the number of button assignments. I have my gear toggle on my Hat4R button , as I typically do in all my flight sims.

Don B

Well that might be somewhat difficult as I have all my controls assigned in the game GUI and of course module specific. I do try and keep them fairly common across the button commands.

Probably main thing is I use my paddle on the joystick as a modifier, to increase the number of button assignments. I have my gear toggle on my Hat4R button , as I typically do in all my flight sims.

Oh I was referring to what button you would use to trigger voice commands. I'll manage with the nose slit to use my keyboard when necessary. I think I'll have to spend some time and set up voice attack commands for the radios.

It would be cool if it let you open the radios with China hat forward/aft and then while you are in VR use mouse to click in the F1, f2 options just like you can click switches in the cockpit.

Since China hat already open my radio list commands I'll just glance down at the keyboard and select something quickly until I figure something else out.

Oh I was referring to what button you would use to trigger voice commands. I'll manage with the nose slit to use my keyboard when necessary. I think I'll have to spend some time and set up voice attack commands for the radios.

I don't have voice commands set up yet, have been planning on getting Voice Attack for some time now - think I need to go ahead and do so , as I am sure it would be very helpful for me.

I will probably use the press button on the slew control for that and see how that works for me.

Don B

Who knew touch typing would be an essential skill for flight simming? ;)

Once my fingers find the keys with raised indents (f,j,5 on the numpad) I'm able to use the keyboard without looking. Very handy when using the OR!

I don't have voice commands set up yet, have been planning on getting Voice Attack for some time now - think I need to go ahead and do so , as I am sure it would be very helpful for me.

I will probably use the press button on the slew control for that and see how that works for me.

VoiceAttack is the key that unlocks everything in VR.

Since you can map any Hotas button and keyboard stroke to Voice Attack you can simply activate a voice command by creating a voice command for that as well. ie: You can create the commands that match the buttons or keystrokes you use to toggle between talking to others and giving commands to control your cockpit.Although I have yet to do a profile for DCS yet, I would not want to play Elite Dangerous without it. Another neat thing about using VA is that , for example, if you say had 2 different flightsims and one used the L and another the G key for landing gear Your command "landing gear down" can be the same in both by it to that games keystroke or button in it's profile. You then don't need to remember the differences and in creating your own commands they are easier to remember. All those differences between how one sim or another accesses a given system are now irrelevant. They can all share the same command without having to remap all your controls. Voice Attack is pretty much a must in many VR situations that would normally require a lot of keyboard input and it is a steal at the price.

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

I guess this would not work if you have to respond to a prompt where you wouldn't know what the answer was until you got to that radio menu.

For example on some training missions if you are told to use one radio to respond with an option, each option being a different answer, I suppose you could just map the voice commands to where all you have to do is press the voice activation button and then say the option like F1, F3, Etc rather than the actual answer.