Spitfire Mk.IXc RAF Default skin

Reflected

This is superb,the colours are top notch.the markings are absolutely the correct size,but that's not all,up close,the subtle weathering is first class.

These new skins make the DCS Spitfire come alive,it now looks like a real Spitfire should.......Greg your work is outstanding Sir !

From one very happy DCS Spifire pilot.

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

Nice one Reflected. Thanks a lot.

Would i suggest one more thing?

Could you make the same default skin but with invasion strips?

Thanks again.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Many thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it. It's good to hear some positive or constructive feedback after working on something like this.

Next week I'll have a lot more free time, I'll do 2 more versions. One with invasion stripes and one post D-day. Could you please help me out with the post D-day one? What kind of stripes should it have and where?

Generally an order was issued to delete the invasion stripes from upper surfaces in mid July '44. There are variations as the order was intepreted differently by varying units.

442 Sqn 2nd TAF - it would have under wing stripes at this stage, note that the under fuselage stripes seem to have been cut-off in a line with the demarcation between the underside/upper camoflage colours:

y2k-sp1.jpg

Others seem to have the cut off aligned with the horizontal panel line just below the serial number:

061289099cd3fdecaeee2395c59e8d52.jpg

And others any where inbetween.

The edict from group HQ dictated that the stripes be 18" wide on single engined aircraft and there were specific distances from wing roundels and the tail fin for these to start - however, again, units interpreted these very broadly and we see a great deal of variation. The sky rear fuselage band is sometimes completely obscured by the first white stripe from the tail, other times only partially.

10 Group ADGB massively mis-interpreted the instructions and placed stripes of a far thinner thickness on wings and fuselage; this is what we see currently as stock supplied invasion striped Spitfire skin in DCS

In late August the stripes below the wings were deleted but kept on the underside of the fuselage and finally, in November of '44 all stripes were ordered removed.

Edited by DD_Fenrir

Found this to clarify the what was ordered:

Distinctive Markings - single-engine aircraft

Upper and under surfaces of wings: Single-engine aircraft were to carry distinctive markings on the upper and under surfaces of the wings in the form of five black and white stripes each 18 inches wide. The stripes were to be parallel to the longitudinal axis of the aircraft and were to be arranged in order from the centre of the aircraft outwards thus: white, black, white, black, white. These stripes were to end six inches inboard of the national markings.

Fuselage: The fuselage was to be painted with five parallel black and white stripes, again, each being 18 inches wide, which were to run completely around the fuselage. The outside edge of the rearmost white band was to be 18 inches from the leading edge of the tailplane.

Hi Reflected,

As a Spitfire fanatic, I can say that I have really, really loved your work on the new default skin.

I am actually going to rework your files to replace the in game default.

They are far, far above the in game default!

Well done mate, well done!

FC3, UH-1, P-51D, Mi-8, A-10C, F-86F, FW 190D9, KA-50, Gazelle, Mig 21, M-2000C, F-5E, Spitfire IX, A/V-8B, F/A-18C, F-14, FW 190A8, F-16C, P-47D

NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Virpil: Warbrd, Alpha-R, Mongoose CM-2 throttle, Warbrd rudder

Here's my two pennies worth Greg......Hope this helps,here's the two main versions of the invasion stripes that were applied to the Spitfire,the first being the full invasion stripe,and the second,being the post invasion stripe.

RXsF.jpg

RXsH.jpg

Edited by Basco1

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

Here's a great photo of a the real 132 Squadron FF-Y NH493 Spitfire of the above profile picture,with the post invasion stripes.

Note the invasion stripes are only applied under wing and half way up the fuselarge.Whereas most of the full invasion stripe versions carried the stripes on over the wing and right over the fuselarge.

However as pointed out there were exceptions,one of Johnny Johnson's 'JE-J MK392' of June '44 depicted in the top profile above,only had the invasion stripes on the underneath of his wing,but had the full stripes over the fuselarge,see second pic.

The third pic,depicts the full invasion stripes applied,here as a modellers reference.

The last pic shows the full Invasion stripes applied,and shows the aircraft head on.

So the conclusion of all this would be,and if it's at all possible Greg,is to have the three versions created please,that would be great IMO.

RXQ9.jpg

RX1J.jpg

RX1m.jpg

RX1A.jpg

Edited by Basco1

My 'field applied' Spitfire invasion stripes are available on my website if you would like to use them. They replicate the invasion stripes roughly applied in the field with rough edges and visible brush strokes there. Both Full and half invasion stripes in here too:

http://virtual-horsemen.com/cmdownloads/spitfire-mk-ixc-invasion-stripes-for-skinners/

Stripes.png

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

My 'field applied' Spitfire invasion stripes are available on my website if you would like to use them. They replicate the invasion stripes roughly applied in the field with rough edges and visible brush strokes there. Both Full and half invasion stripes in here too:

[/img]

Thanks for this Rock ! I can see you've been taking brush stroke lessons from Rembrandt ! :thumbup:

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

Thanks for this Rock ! I can see you've been taking brush stroke lessons from Rembrandt ! :thumbup:

Haha, no problem bud :) When these stripes were applied in the field, they were painted with literally anything the ground crew could find, so they were pretty damn rough! Not like the modern, precise stripes we see on mist restorations

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

So looking forward to seeing your versions buddy.

Here they come!

The fuselage stripes seem off relative to the roundel. It's because if I move the roundels aft to their proper place, they will look off relative to the ID letters which are hard coded. So this is a compromise.

I also added a very, very subtle brush stroke effect.

Screen_170722_151203.jpg

Screen_170722_151736.jpg

Screen_170722_151303.jpg

• Like 1

Good stuff, well done Ref !

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

Outstanding Sir !

• 1 year later...