My hide-away VR cockpit.

maverickturner

Gt9eFPr.jpg?1

The Idea

My wife and I recently moved into a medium size apartment which obviously doesn't support home cockpit builds very well. So before moving, I needed to design a compact cockpit that was functional, moveable and respectively looked like a piece of furniture (as per wife's request). After 3 months of design, input from previous builds, and a year's worth of building, this is the final result. See the whole presentation here!

Please note I am in no way a carpenter nor have I ever taken on such a large woodworking project. My tools were cheap and there are certainly noticeable imperfections. Tips and advice are always welcome.

Specs

• 54”L x 24”W x 26"H; Can comfortably support a 6’6” occupant
  • Weight: 120lbs
  • Cost: $400-500 for build; excludes TM Warthog and main monitor

Features

• Scratch resistant Alkyd enamel paint
  • Laminate paneling in recesses
  • Adjustable MFD display
  • Drink holder
  • Custom paint scheme for grab / no hold areas.
  • TM Warthog w/ custom 7” extension
  • Locking swing-out monitor for 2D cockpit experience.

Future Ideas

• MAVERICK flight helmet and O2 mask with custom Oculus HMD mount
  • Red/white cockpit light for night use
  • Rumble seat speaker system
  • Improved locking mechanism for swing monitor
  • Adjustable joystick position via sliding track lock system
  • Improved lid locking mechanisms for added support

BXfQBlS.jpg?1

FFvsqiv.jpg?1

Lf9KEhm.jpg?1

rmucVRR.gif

cANzLgR.gif

9B8dgVM.gif

iXSkyYs.jpg?1

• Like 2

Wow, really nice and smartly hidden setup..

At first I thought the bottle and plants are glued to the top as some sort of fake decoys :)

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Great design! Speaking as a professional designer and maker, this is immaculately conceived and executed. Really brilliant.

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

Wow, that's really impressive, both design and execution, but especially the various touches all over the place.

Perhaps you're in the wrong line of work :)

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Genius! thanks for sharing. I really like this setup. Could work for a tiny home too. :-)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Genius! thanks for sharing.
Seconded!

Very impressive!

Now see what you have done! :mad:

I want one! :D

Want to go into business? :music_whistling:

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

What a fantastic concept and well executed project! I'm highly impressed! REP inbound sir!

EVGA GTX1080TISC2 Black Hybrid Cooler, Asus Strix X399, Water cooled ThreadRipper 1920X, Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz,NVME Samsung 250/500GB SSDs, Corsair Air 740 case, Acer Predator 34' Gsync curved display + 3x Alienware 23inch 120hz monitors. TM HOTAS, RAZER - Tiamat,Blackwidow, Mamba, Tartarus and Oculus Rift CV1/DK2 + TrackIR5, MFG crosswinds

Oh and a very understanding wife.

The things we have to do for women! :D

Seriously impressive, man. I couldn't even come up with that if I were a carpenter!

Hat off to you, sir!

Mud

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

Wow, that is clever thinking!:thumbup:

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Wow, that has to be the most clever home pit I've seen so far!

Actually it's more cunning then I first thought, it means MT could have more than one VPit in the apartment, just saying.

Awesome work MT. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.