Waypoint Type: Turning Point and Lead Turns

Kyridious

Good Morning,

I believe I have encountered another problem with AI routing. I can't make aircraft perform lead turns between waypoints when dynamically assigning a route. Lead turns between waypoints is the default behavior for "Turning Point" waypoints added within the mission editor.

To review, there are two types of (navigation) waypoint actions:

Turning Point - AC performs lead turn toward the next waypoint. (Note: AC is not guaranteed to fly over the waypoint)

Fly Over Point - AC flies directly over waypoint before initiating the turn to the next waypoint.

To test this, create a simple static mission in the ME:

- Add single AC

- Create 4 waypoints (ideally with 2x 90 degree turns)

- Confirm waypoints are of type "Turning Point"

- Run the mission and observe that the AC makes lead turns (instead of flying directly over the waypoints) (I added smoke at each Waypoint for clarity)

Next, modify the mission above:

- Tick late activation

Using LUA (Moose):

- Spawn AC

- Get original route

- Re-task route to the AC

ie:

spawnGroup = SPAWN:New( "RedPlane1" ):InitLimit( 50,50 )

myGroup = spawnGroup:Spawn()

-- Delay execution to allow controller to be created by sim

myRoute = myGroup:GetTaskRoute()

myGroup = myGroup:Route(myRoute)

The spawned plane is assigned an identical route to that of the template. However, the AC no longer makes lead turns. Instead, it treats all the wayspoints as Fly Over Points. Am I missing something? I fear DCS does some offline computations to schedule lead turns, something that is not done at run time...

There are more problems with dcs than this. Try to route a plane for landing at an airbase. Does not work. All these things are dcs issues which are already for ages in the system.

[TABLE][sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]|

[/TABLE]

*nod* Have you seen a list of "known limitations" floating around?

There is a bug list internally for ED. This is the core list.

Only insiders know what is in it, others can guess.

Although there's a couple of public lists floating in various threads.

Only a fraction of the raised issues get reported to ED.

[/TABLE]

Replicated the issue. It appears there is a behavior difference between a route assigned to a group as part of coalition.addGroup() and one assigned via controller after the group is spawned. If the route is embedded directly into the group spawning function then the group will follow the route perfectly. If you get the route data from an existing group and assign it (or even reassigning it) then the fly over behavior is changed.

This is likely related to the landing at airbase bug because it is roughly the same behavior. In my test the groups assigned the route as part of spawn flew back to the airbase as AI normally should. The group assigned the route with a controller flew to the WP for the airbase at near ground level. Upon reaching the WP it acted as if the route just ended and only then entered the landing behavior.

*nod* Have you seen a list of "known limitations" floating around?

Best to check the bug forum section. Ideally use the 1.5 open beta and 2.0 open alpha sections since those have sub categories and its harder for stuff to fall through the cracks. Unless someone explicitly states otherwise, it is best not to assume an issue is reported. It doesn't hurt to ask, especially if it is related to AI.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

This is likely related to the landing at airbase bug because it is roughly the same behavior.

I agree. Has this behaviour already been reported?

[/TABLE]

The landing at airbase bug is reported, this new one hasn't been yet. Going to test a few things first before filling the full report.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum