manual Prop pitch doesn't work

I'm new to DCS and can only get the old 109K off the ground 10% of the time. I have no pedals so the torque is tough to fight.

I found out how to put Governor into manual and eventually found the button on the throttle BUT no matter what I do, clicking away, the pitch doesn't change. The dial functions in flight automatically (those rare times I can take off).

Any advice as I really need to reduce torque on take off (probably landing too)

Hi there, and welcome to DCS!

Where should I start.. First of all, you definitely need some rudder pedals for these WWII crates. Second, did you thoroughly read the manual? If not, go to page 48 https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxqYWNlc3N0dWZmfGd4OjNhM2FkMTEzNDU5NzE3NjA

After that, we're here to answer further questions. Cheers!

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

Juts for the record, the same pdf manual can be found in "Doc" folder of the Messershmitt (applies to all DCS modules and their respective manuals).

Also, @ amazingme, page 48 won't help him, because it doesn't explain why the switch on the throttle doesn't work for him.

@OP - If the "dial functions automatically", that can only mean you didn't actually switch the prop governor to manual mode. Make sure the governor switch is flipped properly - easy to tell already on the ground - if the pitch gauge reacts to the throttle button (also with distinctive noise) - it's in manual allright, if it doesn't react - it's still in auto.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I'm new to DCS and can only get the old 109K off the ground 10% of the time. I have no pedals so the torque is tough to fight.

(probably landing too)

Switch to ON take off assistance, it will solve your problem with take off and landing. But not help with propeler torque during flight.

And, try to get pedals or joystick with twist asap, it is essential for propeler driven planes.

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

Thanks for the quick replies.

I'd love pedals but budget limitations after just buying the 109K, Normandy and Assets pack :(. Maybe one day. I have a logitech extreme 3d pro with twist rudder but it's still tricky and I often swerve off the runway and/or the wings tip.

Re the Governor, I flick it forward, press the electric switch on the throttle but nothing - the Luftschraube dial stays resolutely at 12:30

I've even switched the governor to the rear and tried - no movement on the guage. Is there a keyboard option? I can't see one in the settings.

Do you use "game flight mode" or "game avionics mode" instead of full simulation ones? That's the only thing I can think of, which might cause such a bug.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Hi,

I have game and avionics not checked and flight model is 109K real. Still having serious issues taking off, even with take off assistance and auto rudder, I tend seem to lift off and then swerve over to left/ drop wing severely and stall. 1 in 10 take offs over the grass if I'm lucky.

Edited by Captain Gordon

Hi,

I have game and avionics not checked and flight model is 109K real. Still having serious issues taking off, even with take off assistance and auto rudder, I tend seem to lift off and then swerve over to left/ drop wing severely and stall. 1 in 10 take offs over the grass if I'm lucky.

Trim her nose down and make sure you have enough speed when rotating, and don't pull too much when rotating.

Mmmm, I normally do but in the last few attempts this evening after sorting take off assistance and auto rudder I have forgotten to trim the nose (1 or 2?) DOH! I definitely have over-rotated, the climb is too strong and the wing drops and down I go - usually upside down.

FWIW, my tips for 109 take off are:

- trim down to about 1.

- full right rudder

- pull right on stick and a bit forward

- gradually increase speed and feel the time to slowly release the rudder and stick as the aircraft reacts

- gain enough speed and don't try to pull up too quickly

- immediately after take off lfit landing gear

- reduce throttle to cruise in order to reduce torque and the need to pull stick to the right.

Don't know if it will help you, but it works for me!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Just a reminder - 109 has a tailwheel lock, which is not enough in itself to keep the straight track on the ground, but still helps a ton during takeoffs and landings. I'm fairly sure it's in "off" position by default (in cold start missions), so make sure to turn it on before takeoff roll (position easy to memorize - when handle looks like inverted "L" - then it's "L for Locked").

No idea about your problems with governor switch, though. Yes, front position is manual, aft is auto. Don't know if is it's a single toggle command in the options, or two separate ones ('cause I flip it using mouse anyway). Then the pitch switch on the throttle has two positions for + and - adjustments. That one can be assigned to two keys/buttons for sure. OK, one more thing - the mechanism requires V100 circuit breaker in, but since this breaker also controls ignition system, I'd hazard a guess you would notice if it was popped off, wouldn't you? :D.

P.S. - unlike in the good old Il-2 series of sims, the auto mode in here is good enough never to bother with manual anyway, so If I were you, if would rather concentrate more on just taking the damn crate off the ground in the first place ;).

Edited by Art-J

One thing I don't like about auto pitch is if you wind up the engine holding the brakes the pitch clock unwinds all the way to 8:30. The amount of brake-hold RPM you can have before the auto pitch decides you're in ultra cruise isn't much.

If you're having problems getting manual prop pitch to work in the 109, here's what you need to do:

1) Turn ignition switch on.

(Note: Battery switch should also be on be default but if you've accidentally turned it off, it will prevent use of manual prop pitch).

2) Check prop pitch manual / automatic switch is in the forward position

(forward = manual / aft = automatic)

3) Adjust prop pitch using "Engine RPM Decrease" / "Engine RPM increase" assigned buttons

(default = page down / page up keys)

I've attached some images to help. Have fun.

1383824345_(1)109ignswitch.thumb.jpg.a56cb606df45de7c4c4173f6e5ea0f40.jpg

2062812743_(2)109pitch.thumb.jpg.f80b6bdbfe959ada5a24af28e0957023.jpg

336559563_(3)RMPcont.thumb.jpg.5037e23f151f283ce1a5d22b52e06a10.jpg

Edited by Bounder

My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).

Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5.
My DCS Youtube Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/No64Bounder

Thanks a bundle! to all, I can't list the helpers here.

Found the RPM inc/Dec and now working! (of course must remember in all the hectic stuff just after takeoff that the switch needs to be put back on auto:music_whistling:)

I appreciate that's only one small thing but it helps and I am focussing on getting the crate up. I am now up to 50% success rate.

• Still too high an AOA and lifts off too early - must push the stick back forward earlier.

• The full Rt rudder really helps
  • Need to practice the stick positions
  • Much better runway tracking now
  • The wings seem to stay mostly level with the stick

Going to try and get some practice today - I'll keep a full team of mechanics and scrap merchants busy. I'll report progress later. I know the next issue will be landing but there seem to be a good number of threads and youtube videos.

Certainly the best flight sim for me and I've tried a few - back to when all we got was the upper half of the screen blue, the lower green and a grid of dots and a few rectangles or pyramids on the ground to represent trees, buildings and hills to give us a 'sense' of movement. DCS 2 is great - can't wait to see those B-17s up close. Meanwhile back to my research :book:

For a smooth take off I use 1.3 ATA @2200-2300rpm and trimmed it to 1.2, then when I get to ~110kph I slowly push the stick forward keeping the ball centered. It will get into the air on its own. Try this approach and let us know how it went. But, with that twist rudder, you deserve a medal if you can take off on a regular basis. Good luck!

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

I've had a few bad goes today. Rough before the smooth I think. Trying too hard maybe.

At first still too much stick back, nose lifting too much, lifting off the ground too early and stalling.

I learnt a lot from view f4 as to what the tail was doing. I don't actually use the control ball etc, maybe I should...

I am hitting 1.4 ata, so will trim that back.

I'm certainly getting straighter on the runway and have hardly dragged a wing, I'm getting use to the rudder more and must let it take off by itself!

take offs 60% success and feeling that will rise tomorrow. I even landed 4 times and crashed twice. Only one landing was damage free, but the others I walked away - from very bouncy ones.:D

That's.. normal at the beginning, so don't worry too much. You do have to pull the stick all the way to keep its tail on the ground (some drivers lock the tail wheel some other don't) until you reach ~100kph, then gently push the stick forward and wait for the plane to take off on its own. A ffb stick would also help feeling the stick forces..

Edited by amazingme

Specs:

Settings:

With all the help here I'm getting better. Oddly I can land 95% of the time now without damage - I seem to come in at very low ata but it's the only way I can keep the kph down. On the 2 instances out of 11-12 I hit the trees just short of the runway! Otherwise I often end up on the grass but stay on my legs. I even took off, landed and took off again!

Take offs are up at 80% with no wing damage, still very wobbly just after take-off- very tetchy this 109K.

Thanks again all

Not at 100% guaranteed but wait till I get some pedals...

I learnt a lot from view f4 as to what the tail was doing. I don't actually use the control ball etc, maybe I should...

You definitely need to use the ball if you want to consistently take off without damaging your airplane. As soon as you see needle starting to swing in either direction, apply opposite rudder - the sooner you do, the smaller the deflection it will take to keep it centered and easier it will be to keep the plane straight. 109 is more 'settled' on take offs compared to 190 or Spit.

• 2 months later...

It's the first day I really tried, a few times I could actually get off the ground but it's getting frustrating. I dont know how I need to practice because the aircraft becomes airborne at 100 km/h or so and then stalls. If I knew how to keep it on the runway a little more it would be easy.

If you're having problems getting manual prop pitch to work in the 109, here's what you need to do:

1) Turn ignition switch on.

(Note: Battery switch should also be on be default but if you've accidentally turned it off, it will prevent use of manual prop pitch).

2) Check prop pitch manual / automatic switch is in the forward position

(forward = manual / aft = automatic)

3) Adjust prop pitch using "Engine RPM Decrease" / "Engine RPM increase" assigned buttons

(default = page down / page up keys)

I've attached some images to help. Have fun.

Thanks a lot !! .. if you knew how long I have looked for this "Page Up Page Down" - everyone kept telling to take manual control of the propellor but no one said how.

^ Keep in mind it will want to pitch up after liftoff anyway, auto-prop or not, so the prop is not really where your problem is.

The plane just has a positive pitching moment in gear down flaps up config so you have to trim nose heavy plus keep the stick pushed a little all the time until you retract the gear.

I actually get the plane airborne now 50% of the time.

My problems were a lot about wrongly assigned controls* the "takeoff assistance" making everything worse. There was way to much input on my side and if I only do the slightest corrections, it gets a bit better. (*things like the analog wheel brake axis working completely differently than I thought)