Holy stuttering, Batman!

Sandman1330

Hey guys,

Brand new system here (full info in Sig, but based on R5 1600X @ 4Ghz and a 1080Ti).

Normandy, A10C CAS instant action is pretty much unplayable. Frame rate isn't terrible (45ish, sometimes as low as 30), but it stutters - a lot - to the point of unplayability.

My old system was an FX6300 and 1060 3Gb. I used to play at similar frame rates (with less eye candy), but never had this kind of stuttering.

Settings here (PD of 1.5):

hCNnW4M.jpg

MSI Afterburner shot here:

fPWvekd.jpg

As you can see, nothing is really maxed out.

I already tried deleting the shaders folder, it actually made the stuttering worse. I'm going to try restoring the old folder.

Any thoughts?

Also, I feel like with the system I have, I SHOULD be getting much higher frame rates. I know 2.1 is poorly optimized right now, but I shouldn't be having these issues....

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Press the VR preset and adjust slowly up from there.Quite a number of your setting are pushed higher than these.

Maybe push terrain and textues to high.Water too if you think medium is ugly and dark.

Pixel density to 1.5.

Any more and busy missions become unplayable due to low framerate.

ps...tried that mission too and its bordering on unplayable due to the amount of units..who makes these unrealistic missions?????

Edited by aceviper

Well, with such a high end system, I would EXPECT to be able to run high settings.

I've tried VR and up, and the frame rate sticks at 45 - whether I'm on VR preset, or high preset, always stuck at 45 (ASW off) with massive stuttering.

Also, shadows keep popping in and out - very ugly...

Interestingly - I did notice that my CPU 12 is maxed out. That would be one of my virtual cores... I'm going to disable SMT and see what happens.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

You're going to hear this a lot...

2.1.1 is alpha and will be eventually be sorted. Many (myself included) are having similar issues with FPS and memory use on high end systems. Nothing we can do but wait. Sorry, I wish there was a concrete fix.

Yup, it seems like I've been bit by the "alpha" bug. I hope it gets sorted, it's a hard pill to swallow to accept that a $3000 system can't run DCS in any kind of satisfactory manor.

Disabling SMT made no difference to the stuttering. All the work just got pushed onto core #6 and frames remained unchanged. Looks like 2.1 is still CPU limited (changes to graphical settings have little effect, and GPU usage remains low). There must be some kind of optimization problem, as a 4Ghz Ryzen shouldn't struggle with this game...

Edited by VampireNZ
  • Like 1

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unfortunately DCS isn't programmed in a way to utilise all of your (our) computing power. CPU or GPU.

QFT.

Multi-threading would immensely boost the performance.

I simply cannot hit 90fps over Las Vegas in VR (with a top-end PC), but just the other day, after crashing the helo, when the view switches to an external camera looking down, my GPU usage went up to 90+% and my performance stabilized at 90fps.

My theory is the cockpit + flight calculations simply starve the GPU and no matter what hardware you throw at it, it won't hit the required 11ms.

PC HW: i5 3770k@4.6GHz | Asus 1080Ti | 16GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO | MSI MPower Z77 Input: MS FFB2 w/ F-16 FLCS grip | CH Pro Throttle | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive DCS modules: F-14, FW-190, P-51, Bf109, UH1, Mi-8, FC3, CE2

Change Shadows from High to Flat. Alternatively turn off both Shadows and Terrain Object Shadows if needed. Shadows really impact performance currently.

Reduce MSAA to 2x, 0 if you can live with it.

Lower clutter/grass some more.

No matter what you do, you are not going to hit 90 fps over Normandy currently. You might can get it to a smooth 45 fps experience.

2.1 is just early and pretty rough around the edges still. Hopefully some performance optimizations will be forthcoming.

In regards to your massive stuttering, I too run with ASW disabled and as long as mine is maintaining 45 fps or higher it appears pretty smooth to me. If it drops much below the 45 fps that is when I notice mine stuttering.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I find that with the Oculus Nevada I'm getting 40 -45 FPS, reasonable. But Normandy more like 13 - 20 FPS and unplayable at this time. Not sure if anyone else is finding the same?

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Just a bit curious, have you tried to run the game on the Caucasus or Nevada maps ? Is there any improvement over there ?

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

Just a bit curious, have you tried to run the game on the Caucasus or Nevada maps ? Is there any improvement over there ?

I find 1.5.7 "Caucasus" runs much better in VR after last update,2.1 was supposed to get an update today but some last minute bugs prevented this,they're hoping for a Friday update.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I find that with the Oculus Nevada I'm getting 40 -45 FPS, reasonable. But Normandy more like 13 - 20 FPS and unplayable at this time. Not sure if anyone else is finding the same?

Normandy is definitely a performance hog.

What are you system specs? What are your graphic settings in game? Pixel Density?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Nevada and Caucuses are buttery smooth, easy 45FPS, dipping down to 30 at times but with 0 stuttering and fairly high settings.

System specs are in the sig, and settings are high-ish (image in the OP, been tweaking a few things on and off from what's there to no avail).

It seems to be limited to Normandy, and particularly the CAS mission (lots of units). Here's hoping for an improvement with the next update!

Not a lot of people are running Ryzen currently but I sure hope ED will have good use some day of multithreading. This will improve significantly performances as each core will be able to handle different tasks in the sim.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

Not a lot of people are running Ryzen currently but I sure hope ED will have good use some day of multithreading. This will improve significantly performances as each core will be able to handle different tasks in the sim.

Multi-threading will be a huge boost for everyone that plays DCS. I'm surprised it's not a higher priority tbh.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

QFT.

Multi-threading would immensely boost the performance.

I simply cannot hit 90fps over Las Vegas in VR (with a top-end PC), but just the other day, after crashing the helo, when the view switches to an external camera looking down, my GPU usage went up to 90+% and my performance stabilized at 90fps.

My theory is the cockpit + flight calculations simply starve the GPU and no matter what hardware you throw at it, it won't hit the required 11ms.

Fact:

Performance depends on the aircraft cockpit complexity.

Mig 21 full of analog dials can be too much for older processors.

EF 2000 with glass cockpit is much less of a burden.

Just swallow the bitter taste and turn down your settings.

I'm on 4790k/1080Ti and I get 60-70 average, occasionally smooth runs at 90fps and the occasional dips as ever.

The upgrade from 980Ti to 1080Ti allowed slightly higher settings - but not as much as I had hoped. Overall smoother with slightly improved visuals - but still a while to go to 'perfect'

Remember it's DCS! There's been a 1080Ti thread on here talking about just these issues since launch - I think you should not be expecting so much (wishing, perhaps ;) )

I'm sorry, but I can't help but laugh when people complain about their FPS, but don't want to turn down their graphics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't think it's graphics settings for this one. I tried it and got about 38-45 FPS. Using PD 1.8 and VR preset. I may have turned on deferred shading and MSAA set to 2X.

Then I (finally) got around to overclocking. Set the CPU to 5.1 GHz and GPU to 1480 (I think, I can't remember...it was the highest option) and saw mostly 45...but dipping to 38. It was playable, but I could tell it was stuttering a bit. When I fly Vegas or 1.5x beta, it's very very smooth. So clearly DCS has some work cutout. I'm using the latest rev of 2.x Alpha and latest NVidea update.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

The clue is in the Alpha release status of 2.1.1.

Expecting stuff that isn't a reality is a sure fire route to frustration and disappointment, so perhaps that is the core of your issues right now?

It is a fact that Normandy is currently borderline with frame rates, and we can expect improvement over time. In the meantime, wind down your settings, and avoid over complex missions.

Also, read all the stuff that's been posted regarding optimisation of your graphics settings for Normandy. Follow the advice, and you will see huge improvements. Ignore the advice, and you're bound to be disappointed.

Perhaps the best advice for anyone regarding this forum is to first do a search, and then and only then, post your problem if there is no solution available. There are numerous threads regarding Normandy on the forum, and adding more really makes life more difficult for everyone trying to resolve their own problems. Also, I don't know if I have ever seen Batman dishing out good advice - particularly on the ED forum. At least, I have never seen him discussing shark repellent - though I am sure that will change when we get a Pacific theatre map, and sharks become more prevalent - but I digress!

Oh, I get it that one can turn down settings for better frame rates. I played this game on an FX-6300 and 1060 for a long time. The crazy thing is that my frame rates have increased very little for such a large change in hardware. And it's not just the frame rates, it's the stuttering - despite playable frame rates, the stutter is the problem.

I have also done many searches, and seen the many other similar (but not identical) threads. I think it is also important to keep bringing up these issues, because too many software developers these days are too happy to release an alpha version and forget about actually finishing the product. Once they start getting paid for the alpha version, the incentive is gone to finish it and they move onto the next new shiny product - without ever delivering on what was promised (Huey multi-crew, anyone?). It isn't just ED, but they can be bad for this. Everyone agrees there is still a lot of work to be done on Normandy, I want to make sure it actually gets done.

Hmm, I don't have that big of a problem with stuttering. I mean it's not buttery smooth, but playable. I did let DCS rebuild the user\SavedGames folder. Also, someone else in a different thread mentioned that setting "sync cockpit with HOTAS" helped quite a bit. I can't see how that would come into play, but maybe give it a shot?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Interesting, will try that. I have rebuilt saved games with no avail, yet.

I'm certain it comes down to a requirement to better optimize the Normandy map. Nevada and caucuses run similar frame rates, with no stuttering.