Using TM HOTAS and the P-51

AvgWhiteGuy

Background: Been flying the A-10C for some time with the following controllers:

TrackIR5

TM HOTAS Stick & Throttle

TM Cougar MFCD

Saitek ProFlight Cessna Footpedals

Razer Orbweaver keypad

I'm trying out the P-51 and perhaps other WWII planes with Normandy and was wondering whether my TH HOTAS (stick & throttle combo) could be effective in this environment. Don't really know if the throttle is useful.

First of all does someone have a basic binding profile for these so can just experience the flight from runway hot and be able to enjoy the modeling and get a basic grasp of flying it? If Yes, can you tell me where to place these profiles.

Would it be a massive overkill using a TM HOTAS compared to a less complex stick & throttle?

What would be a decent stick & throttle to buy if I decided I wanted to continue down this path of WWII aircraft? I can't imagine another stick & throttle combo model being more expensive so price isn't relative.

I appreciate comments and suggestions,

Thanks in advance

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

I don't think there is any reason for you to buy another stick to enjoy the WW2 aircraft.

The buttons you actually need on the throttle and stick are very few and can easily be bound in a matter of minutes.

All you'll need is the trigger, weapon release, and sight controls.

The axes are also easily bound. The great thing is you can use the left and right throttles for the engine RPM and throttle levers.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

TrackIR5

TM Cougar MFCD

Razer Orbweaver keypad

I'm trying out the P-51 and perhaps other WWII planes with Normandy and was wondering whether my TH HOTAS (stick & throttle combo) could be effective in this environment. Don't really know if the throttle is useful.

First of all does someone have a basic binding profile for these so can just experience the flight from runway hot and be able to enjoy the modeling and get a basic grasp of flying it? If Yes, can you tell me where to place these profiles.

Would it be a massive overkill using a TM HOTAS compared to a less complex stick & throttle?

What would be a decent stick & throttle to buy if I decided I wanted to continue down this path of WWII aircraft? I can't imagine another stick & throttle combo model being more expensive so price isn't relative.

Thanks in advance

For a WW2 joystick you could look at the VKB Gunfighter Pro. Downside: This stick alone is more expensive than the TM Warthog HOTAS.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

HOTAS sets designed for modern machinery have by default more buttons, switches'n stuff than needed for warbirds. You would be in trouble if you were in reversed situation, owning a simple stick and attempting to fly modern machinery with all the abundance of systems :).

As Boris noted above, twin throttle is perfect, because in Allied warbirds you need two analog axes for assigning MAP and RPM controls, plus there's plenty of buttons left there and on the stick for other primary functions.

There are only two things where Warthog is "underkill" for warbirds: 1) it doesn't have enough analog sliders/rotaries, so you will have to assign trims to hat (unlike in real airplane); 2) with infamous stiffness and sticktion issues it's generally a bit meh for warbirds which require much more mechanical fidelity and precision than modern planes (carefully setting up axis curves and saturations should help though, or even better - getting an extension). I didn't mention lack of yaw-twist action, because you've got pedals (good, you gonna need them a lot more than in jets).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

TrackIR5

TM Cougar MFCD

Razer Orbweaver keypad

Thanks in advance

I've been using this combo for some time for both WWII and modern aircraft.

The throttle switches are very useful in WWII for starter sequence, magnetos, cockpit open/close, gear up/down, flaps, rad open/close, oil cooler open/close, bailout, ordnance selection, propeller pitch, fuel flow on/off, fuel tank selection and anything else you want to map.

The stick has some fine tuning capability, sight on/off, sight distance adjust, site type, guns, rockets, bombs (select drop or fire), knee map on/off and many others.

So map to your convenience and imagination. I use the TM Target Script programming. Far more variables in programming.

Cheers

I use a Saitek X56 with the semi frim spring (comparable stiffness to the TM) and never had a problem with the warbirds. In fact you can bind even more stuff to ur stick than what would realistically be there giving you a better advantage. You will probably have to adjust some curves, saturations and dead-zones to get the most effective use out of it.

However, I recently bought a VKB gunfighter pro (20mm extension) and i must say it has changed my life with warbirds and helicopters. I run 0 curves or deadzones and the control felt is that of something amazing. They are on the pricey side but if you ever are in the market to get a lighter stick for some of the older aircraft I could not recommend it more. Im loving it so much ive even began flying modern jets with it as control is unparalleled.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

multiplayer name ''DustOff=3=6''

I found a couple of LUA files for the HOTAS but I'm not sure where to put them, can anyone help me?

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC