Sound Upgrade?

I'm currently running a 5 year old SB PCI512 soundcard on some Altec 2.1 speakers w/sub. Sometimes I run into problems running LO with basic acceleration, but running it with no acceleration makes other weird things happen all the time, like super-loud engine sounds when a wingie or other A/C is close, or super loud engine sounds in my cockpit if I switch to another A/C's external view etc...

My question is: Is this just LO having messed up sound or can I solve this by upgrading to a newer sound card? I'm looking at an OEM audigy 4SE. And is it worth it to buy 5.1 speakers? Does lockon use any positional sounds?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Go for Audigy X-Fi Extreme Music edition it costs in Canada around $140 but performance of this card is soooo much better than previous versions of Audigy sound cards...i have also audigy 2ZS and its not even close to XFi... XFi gives good software too u have 3 position: Entertainment, audicreation mode and game mode now whatever you use beside lock on (music ripping sons wtwr..) u can do it and with quality..

In lock on i had same problem like you with sounds and disabling hrdwr acc in DX mu sounds would like "LOCK" and stay that way allways no matter what and true with loud engines had same..

With Xfi no problems i didnt even bother to disable i just let it run as it is and depends what kind of speakers you have or headphones it can be very nice expirience!!

i Have Zalmans 5.1 Headphones and they work very well with this sound card..

PS. If you go to buy a NEW card get FXi u wont regret..

Zalmans 5.1 Headphones and they work very well with this sound card..

PS. If you go to buy a NEW card get FXi u wont regret..

I have same headphones together with SB Live 5.1. Both work together like a charm. I'm looking forward to get that X-FI card.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Logitech X-530 from Newegg Rugg.

First thing I played was the Virtual Thunderbirds movie. Nice mix of different music, and roaring jets...lol The sound is light years ahead of what I had. Lockon sounds great, my anomalies are gone, and I couldn't be happier! :thumbup:

Now my monitor is showing signs of death...sigh...it never ends...:doh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]