Oculus Rift cv1 color banding

VirusAM

I, i have the rift from some weeks, and at night i am experiencing a annoying issue (it is keeping me from flying some night missions in enemy within campaign) i have a huge color banding both in dcs 1.5 and 2.1.1 (and also il2 bos if that matters) during day i am not noticing it (maybe because there are more colors). I tried also to lower the gamma settings in DCS 2.1.1 but all i have is a very dark game but the issue is still there also if less.

I have done searches and it seems that many players have this issue and for example in Elite Dangerous (that i don't have) has been fixed by the developers that added a dither setting in the graphics options (link here https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/316478-FEEDBACK-2-2-03-Update-4-New-VR-feature-Enabled-dithering-for-VR-to-reduce-banding/?page=1)

I have also read about a monitor game...that is linking a monitor to the hdmi output where the rift is...tried also that but all i have after that is a black rift screen and i need to reboot in order to see it again.

So my question is...could someone please take note at the pictures (dcs and il2bos) that i am uploading here and tell me if it is my rift broken, my pc not good (a vr ready notebook from msi), or it is normal and maybe ED can help us adding the dithering options also in DCS?

Thanks in advance to everyone for the attention and the help

a026eba9d9b516ad94b44be82b5cb695.jpg456a8d4cf80adb1a29d328fb7f1514de.jpg

eb8c25b1bd2e70b5f8effaeea70070dc.jpg

77cb0661035f10e58f2c26eebf61bc19.jpg

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Welcome to VR: generation 1.

The good news is that your hardware is fine. The bad news is that you can't do much about it other than the things you've already mentioned.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Oculus Rift cv1 color banding

First of all, thanks for the reply...glad that my hardware is ok, then to me it seems strange that after more then a year since the rift and the vive are out still there is no a solution...i mean it seems that Elite Dangerous developers were quite fast to solve it adding dither...i am not a game developer but it is so difficult to do that?If it is true that a lot of people are having these issues then it should be a top priority considering that also Wags has a Rift from what i know...

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

Try setting your gamma in game to 1.2 or 1.3 for nighttime.

Thankfully you can change it while on the fly.

With this setting the ground does not glow as much and banding in the sky is reduced.

You will need your night vision if you have it.

It seems more realistic this way but improvements are needed from ED to use VR at night.

Edited by aceviper

Color banding also happens on normal monitors. As far as I know it's a limitation of the color bit depth of the sim engine.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

Elite Dangerous had this issue and solved it with a color dithering post process, it worked really well.

It can be seen here. CluPaMK.png

I think I wrote this up as a bug already but will go back and check.

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

Try setting your gamma in game to 1.2 or 1.3 for nighttime.

Thankfully you can change it while on the fly.

With this setting the ground does not glow as much and banding in the sky is reduced.

You will need your night vision if you have it.

It seems more realistic this way but improvements are needed from ED to use VR at night.

I tried moving the gamma option...but if too low i cannot see at and i still have some banding...if too high some things are solved (for example ad dawn/dusk it improves) but other are worsened..also i mostly fly caucasus trying to finish enemy within campaign but i am stuck at probably the last mission which is at night and it is unplayable for this reason and 1.5 still don't have gamma slider.

So probably the only way should be for developers to help us

The banding shows on normal screens too and as mentioned it is because the gradual change in hue is done with a naive algorithm instead of using the dithering algorithm. Its not because of VR, it is DCS's engine.

The banding shows on normal screens too and as mentioned it is because the gradual change in hue is done with a naive algorithm instead of using the dithering algorithm. Its not because of VR, it is DCS's engine.

Nevertheless, it is a software problem that can be solved by any developper as demonstrated by Jabbers and others users flying on other sims.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

Nevertheless, it is a software problem that can be solved by any developper as demonstrated by Jabbers and others users flying on other sims.

Yes and i hope that some devs read here and try to fix....is there a way to report as bug?

Then the strangeness for me is that after more then a year of Cv1 Vr on this forum there are only a few complaint about this issue and nowhere saw some dev acknowledge. It seems still more strange to me when i see that wags in person use a rift for flying...

i read also all the thread in Elite Dangerous forum, after huge complains by the community about the banding issue the devs acknowledged it and fixed it in a metter of time...ok ED is a space sim and there is all at dark but night flight is an important part of combat flight simming experience as well.

On reddit i saw also a link to a tweet from a oculus developer telling something about developer to use 12:12 instead 8:8 for bit colors..i can't find it anymore sorry and cannot explain better

The good news is that a lot of people took advantage of the Rift Summer Sale. Perhaps their feedbacks (and I really hope they'll leave some) will entice the devs to fully commit to VR.

Virtual Reality is becoming the best way to run sims, while there are improvement with the current gen, the next gen is clearly showing promise and should be indispensable for sim nuts. Better take the plunge now than later.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

Reports like this have been being made since Rift and Vive were released..over a year ago. I have made a couple threads on this and posted screenshots and also pointed out that a lack of dithering is at play here and that night time VR usage is just terrible for reasons not just due to the lack of dithering but how lights/stars are rendered in game as well as somehow a mauve color tint that occurs at night in a bunch of textures(hell, all the screens OP posted have the same mauve tint as the predominant color in them which alters the textures for almost everything at night..why is that? Why freakin does DCS saturate it's graphics with MAUVE/PINK at night? How about AT LEAST solving this issue devs?), not to mention the glowing terrain which still exists. So far not a thing done to address nor even stated that it is going to/will be/might be addressed. The gamma slider option was heralded as a fix for the issues but it does not address the issues at all and I knew it would not even prior to it's release due to the nature of the issues. Gamma changes are not the fix. It was useful to work around the overly bright daytime flying of course.

Maybe one day we will see some of the issues addressed but I quit hoping at this point and for DCS in VR, it is a day time sim only.

For decent night flying in VR you have to look elsewhere. It does exist.

Edited by Torso

For decent night flying in VR you have to look elsewhere. It does exist.

What sim?

Anyway i like your posting and would like that some dev or someone from the ED team would answer us on this