My First VR Experience

pimp

I've never experienced VR before, so setting up my new Oculus Rift and running the Dreamdeck demo was my first look into the VR World. That was amazing, and even my wife enjoyed that demo.

So I fired up DCS and after a while I was able to use my mouse. Beforehand, I setup a mission at Henderson Airport where I'm parked on the ramp hot in the Mirage between an A-10C & F-15C. Also, four F-16C's were parked behind me. When the mission loaded and I saw the view from the cockpit for the first time, I seriously could not believe my eyes. I actually tried to touch the switches. They were right there in my face. For the first time I'm witnessing what I've always wondered about flight sims. I was experiencing an actual sense of height sitting in a cockpit. No longer was the ground eye-level. I was sitting 17ft high. I was sitting lower than the Eagle and higher than the Hog. The Eagle was huge in comparison to the M2K & F-16. I was literally blown away. I made a u-turn to taxi pass my first love, the F-16's, and they look so different now.

I finally made it to the runway after admiring the scenery from a different perspective. I hit the afterburner and was rolling and I started to hear different ambient sounds that I've never heard before. Sounded like rocks or something were being kicked up as I sped down the runway. After rotating and as the gear goes up, I fly over the end of the runway and noticed Henderson Airport is elevated. It is like it's on a hill. I'm not sure if that could be seen on a 2D screen, but I've never noticed it before.

The new view when gaining altitude was great. I actually felt that high when changing AOAs. It's amazing how VR tricks your mind into thinking you're part of this 3D world you're looking at. While doing slow maneuvers, I quickly realized how the motion sickness can start. Banking and 180 degree turns in VR makes your feel like your in the jet doing these maneuvers which caused me to lean back in my chair sometimes. Gave me a queasy feeling. After a couple of minutes, I noticed if I close my left eye when maneuvering, it helps with the sick feeling. Or I'll just close both eyes during the maneuvers. For my first time in VR, this was a good solution. However, I want to build a tolerance so I need to limit my tricks.

After flying around downtown Vegas and Nellis, I headed back, because I didn't want to spend too much time in flight on my first time. Approaching Henderson, I noticed the elevated runways again and descended to land. It was a rough landing because I forgot about the sense of height. The ground was farther away now. I taxied off the runway and parked next to my Vipers. Again, enjoying the scenery and depth, I was amazed.

All in all, I can say my first experience in VR was surreal. VR & DCS are a match made in heaven, and I cannot imagine going back to my 3 monitors & TrackIR. TrackIR who?:) I did not want to end the sim, but I have to be smart and not overdo it. I want to thank everyone, especially dburne for recommending the rift. It has definitely rejuvenated my DCS life.

• Like 1

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

All in all, I can say my first experience in VR was surreal. VR & DCS are a match made in heaven, and I cannot imagine going back to my 3 monitors & TrackIR.

It is pretty special isn't it? I've been away from home for a bit but just got back and fired up a quick BlackShark tutorial to get me back in the swing and see what my new Gametrix seat was like.

Now I'm pretty rusty on the Shark and could barely remember any of the settings but was able to take of, hover and then land reasonably well on a building. (Which is something I would have stuggled with, even with hours of practice without VR.)

But I was able to plonk it down on a pretty tight area. All thanks to VR and the natural way you can see things ( just looking to my left, watching the building roof come up ) and of course the fantastic sense of depth you get.

VR and DCS are truly a match made in heaven! :)

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

All in all, I can say my first experience in VR was surreal. VR & DCS are a match made in heaven, and I cannot imagine going back to my 3 monitors & TrackIR. TrackIR who?:) I did not want to end the sim, but I have to be smart and not overdo it. I want to thank everyone, especially dburne for recommending the rift. It has definitely rejuvenated my DCS life.

:thumbup:

It is incredible isn't it?

You are most welcome!

Congrats and have fun with your new Rift!

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

pimp, that's an awesome report! congrats buddy!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Thanks All! I'm so giddy now. I'm enjoying this a lot. I'm starting to weak my settings for more eye-candy. A lot of shimmering going on, and I see why people were complaining about the readability of the instruments text. Is there a way to zoom in VR? Also is there a way to change the A/C in the hangar in the main menu to something else besides the Su-27?

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

Is there a way to zoom in VR?

Indeed there is. In the options, look for the UI Layer (I think). You'll find something for zoom. works great! :megalol:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

the same for me :thumbup:

I left my passion for FalconBMS for 15 years

to jump into NORMANDY and the WarBirds

Every flight ... every days are so great now . A real pleasure . :pilotfly:

• Like 1

Clevo Sager - i7 6700-K 4.0Ghz OC@4.4Ghz - RAM 32GB DDR4 - VIDEO Nvidia 980 GTX 8Go - XFi SoundBlaster

VR with Oculus Rift - KGB Gunfighter-Pro + Cougar Gaz + Simped + volant T300 + pédalier LeoBodnar

I'm surprised BMS still doesn't have VR. I guess that tells you it's hard to get it right. However good a flight sim is, I would never play it w/o VR.

• Like 1

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

However good a flight sim is, I would never play it w/o VR.

Amen Bro... :thumbup:

I see why people were complaining about the readability of the instruments text.

Don't forget to change your pixel density as well that makes a big difference in readability of the instruments.

There is a way to change the aircraft in the hanger. Forgot how to but if you search you should find the explanation, someone has set up files for all the differnet aircraft, apolgies, I can't rememebr who did it.

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Don't forget to change your pixel density as well that makes a big difference in readability of the instruments.

There is a way to change the aircraft in the hanger. Forgot how to but if you search you should find the explanation, someone has set up files for all the differnet aircraft, apolgies, I can't rememebr who did it.

I found the references:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=170379

The Free Flight mission for the Ka-50 with the Normandy map is my current go-to for a quick VR fix. Diving down between the trees, doing some crazy maneuvers, flying low-level above the trees, hovering low above the awesome looking water (set to 'high'), and then landing on the back of one of those parked ships there is total VR bliss. :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

The Free Flight mission for the Ka-50 with the Normandy map is my current go-to for a quick VR fix. Diving down between the trees, doing some crazy maneuvers, flying low-level above the trees, hovering low above the awesome looking water (set to 'high'), and then landing on the back of one of those parked ships there is total VR bliss. :)

:thumbup:

I love that one as well in the KA-50, it is gorgeous in VR!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hi All,

I have some questions about settings.

1. When installing the Nvidia drivers with Oculus Rift, do you need to install the 3D Vision and PhysX stuff, or can you just install the Graphics Driver only?

2. I'm trying to figure out how to fix the shimmering in-game. I've tried MSAA at 4x and even 8x but it still happens. Is there other settings I need to apply to get rid of the shimmering or am I a mouse on a wheel since there's no fix at this time?

3. I don't get Pixel Density. I've read that increasing it makes things blurry which I've noticed since I raised it to 1.7. I'll change it back to 1.5, but does anything lower than 1.5 make things better? Or is it that you have to find the sweet spot and it's normally 1.5?

4. In flight while looking at the ground is not very smooth even at 45fps. Is it a struggle to find the best quality and performance? What should be the settings in Nvidia control panel?

Thanks in advance!!!

Edited by pimp

Hi All,

1. When installing the Nvidia drivers with Oculus Rift, do you need to install the 3D Vision and PhysX stuff, or can you just install the Graphics Driver only?

2. I'm trying to figure out how to fix the shimmering in-game. I've tried MSAA at 4x and even 8x but it still happens. Is there other settings I need to apply to get rid of the shimmering or am I a mouse on a wheel since there's no fix at this time?

3. I don't get Pixel Density. I've read that increasing it makes things blurry which I've noticed since I raised it to 1.7. I'll change it back to 1.5, but does anything lower than 1.5 make things better? Or is it that you have to find the sweet spot and it's normally 1.5?

Thanks in advance!!!

I have found that setting the shadows to high in the left panel...the shimmering is much improved in Nevada.

Hi All,

I always only install the Driver, and PhysX. I never install any of that other stuff.

Not real sure, maybe some AF might help as well. AF is not quite the performance hit as AA is.

I usually run between 1.3 to 1.5. There comes a point where there are diminishing returns. I find an increase in Pixel Density mainly helps in clarity of items close, like instruments. Some folks report that higher Pixel Densities help when running with no AA in game. Personally I do not see that, I can turn AA off in game and raise my PD up higher, and to me I still see the jaggies. I set my MSAA to 2x.

4. In flight while looking at the ground is not very smooth even at 45fps. Is it a struggle to find the best quality and performance? What should be the settings in Nvidia control panel?

None. Those settings in Nvidia Control Panel are not going to affect the image displayed in the Rift. Just make sure you set DCS.exe to run at "Prefer Maximum Performance" to get the most out of your GPU. Leave the rest at application controlled, and make your settings in the game GUI.

Play around with your settings and find a balance that suits your individual preference. What is good for one person may not be so much for another.

Keep in mind DCS 2.1 is still very much early Alpha and rough around the edges, so performance especially over Normandy in VR really suffers.

The bright side is that should just improve with time.

Have fun with that new Rift!!

Edited by dburne

Don B

Thanks DB. I've reinstalled my drivers twice and I'm still getting that crash after exit DCS from a mission you was getting last month. I have shadows on high. I just did a clean & repair. I'll report back.

Also, has anyone noticed that the Oculus Debug Tool changes the ASW back to Auto even though I have it off in the Tray Tool? I don't even use the debug tool but I noticed ASW was Auto when I checked it.

EDIT: After a clean & repair, flew a long mission with no crashing after exiting the mission. I'll keep testing.

EDIT: Another crash on exiting. I've read that the crash occurs when you use the F10 Map. I can confirm that.

Edited by pimp

• 4 weeks later...

I started flying the rift this week and holy crap! What an experience, I just sat in the hog and shook my head in disbelief at how stunning it is! I mean I’ve heard good things but truly wasn’t expecting to be that good! My only problem is I’m suffering quite badly with motion sickness which is crazy because I can handle being chucked around in helos and aircraft with work. I managing about 20-30 mins closing eyes whilst turning has helped, but in the end I’m usually a sweaty mess and needing a lie down, apart from the eye thing anyone else got any good tips for motion sickness?

I started flying the rift this week and holy crap! What an experience, I just sat in the hog and shook my head in disbelief at how stunning it is! I mean I’ve heard good things but truly wasn’t expecting to be that good! My only problem is I’m suffering quite badly with motion sickness which is crazy because I can handle being chucked around in helos and aircraft with work. I managing about 20-30 mins closing eyes whilst turning has helped, but in the end I’m usually a sweaty mess and needing a lie down, apart from the eye thing anyone else got any good tips for motion sickness?

Take it in short intervals at first. First sign of nausea take a long break.

It will get better as you go, I had it for about 2 weeks or so till it eventually went away for the most part.

It is called getting your " VR Legs" lol. I can now fly for pretty much however long I want without it bothering me much,

Hang in there, it will get better!

Don B

It will pass with some time in VR perhaps don't let the session go for so long, take a break get up and do something else for a bit then get back into VR. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Cheers dburne and FragBum; it’s frustrating, as I want to be playing all the time but my body is saying no! Can’t wait till this passes and really kick the arse out of this stunning sim!

I hear you, my first experience with Huey WOW! Then I jumped into the Gazelle and after a short while I had to land or it wasn't going to end well. But after several hours I was able to do all the silly things I can do with the Gazelle. :thumbup:

BTW the way I think your first few crashes are well lets say an experience. :D:D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Ya, you wanna get over VR sickness, do it in the huey, nothing makes you sicker quicker. I dont ever get motion sickness, not on a boat, not on a train, not on a plane, no i wont eat green eggs and ham... sorry got carried away. Anway, the huey tho, man, sometimes, not sure what it is, but sometimes i get the sweats from this thing so i switch to a plane.

• Like 1

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

LOL, Jab I know what you mean :megalol: I have a Lil fan that sits next to my pit just for those flights..:thumbup::pilotfly::joystick: Welcome to club.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol: