VKB or Virpil

Hey guys,

Am finally ready to dro psome more money on my sim rig, starting with a good new stick.

It seems these 2 are best. Which should I buy and why is it better?

(Im leaning towards virpil, cus of the much better grip for modern aircraft (more buttons)

I know the VKB MCG is coming out, but this would add again to the total cost.

VKB has been in the field for a while now, and has mostly very positive feedback.

Virpil has yet to be in the field, at least for the bases/gimbals. While it appears to be a good design, no one actually has one yet to post any feedback. I placed my order and paid for it on April 15th for a June delivery, and still waiting. They have had some delays. Latest word is shipping this week hopefully. We shall see...

I have the VKB Gunfighter with Extension, and have not tried it yet - holding off till I can get the new MCG grip then I will get it all hooked up. I too want all those buttons.

My suggestion: If you can hold off another week or two, and see what folks say about the Virpil offering once they actually have something in hand and using them.

If you can't wait, I would consider VKB but it may have some lead time as well.

Hopefully the new MCG grip will be available to order here in the next couple of months.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The VKB MCG Pro has 2 analog sticks on the joystick, which is very helpful as a slew cursor in multiple aircraft. If you don't want to use them as analog sticks, you can assign one or both as digital hats through the firmware, although they won't have the same clicking feel as a true hat. The MCG Pro also has more buttons than the Virpil. Their gimbal design also allows you to add friction to the joystick to overcome the centering force, giving you the ability to use it as a helicopter cyclic in a pinch.

As for the Virpil, it's available in an all-black color, which I find much more attractive than the gray button version, and there's a table mount available.

I don't know much about the quality of the Virpil stuff, I am sure it is pretty good.

The VKB gunfighter I have is really freaking solid construction and feels great. But it is collecting dust until the MCG pro comes out.

VKB is also working on a throttle but there isn't much detail on that yet. I can't wait to fully replace my X55... the throttle wires are starting to go bad.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

If you have to choose one VKB --> the GunFighter PRO

very good in flight ... I love mine now ; after 10 years with a Cougar FCC

Clevo Sager - i7 6700-K 4.0Ghz OC@4.4Ghz - RAM 32GB DDR4 - VIDEO Nvidia 980 GTX 8Go - XFi SoundBlaster

VR with Oculus Rift - KGB Gunfighter-Pro + Cougar Gaz + Simped + volant T300 + pédalier LeoBodnar

The only thing I have from VKBSim is the Mk IV Rudder Pedals. They are fantastic for me!

Same here :thumbup: I'm waiting for reviews on the Vipril and waiting for a VKB Gunfighter offering with the new grip installed .....there is that Vipril option to mount a Warthog grip and just get the base, it's to bad VKB stopped offering just the base ....Decisions ,Decisions ......might be awhile till' all the dust settles and we see how it all plays out ....Till then my Warthog HOTAS with a 4" extension and VKB pedals will have to do .....and that's not a bad thing. :D

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Virpil is also working on a throttle, but they've said that they're hoping to release info on it by the end of the month, 2 months in a row now :).

Seems to be their modus operandi of late. Hopefully before long we (those that have ordered and been waiting) will have our sticks and all of that will be forgotten.

OP - if you really need something now, you might also search for a VKB Gladiator Pro ( not the regular Gladiator), it has a good metal gimbal system and more buttons. Many are on the base of the stick though.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Alright, Im guessing when the MCG comes out from VKB there will also be a full stick option (like gunfighter pro being sold now)?

I can wait for a month or two, but rather not :D

Its just the stick im looking at for now, I got a good deal on TM Pedals and TWCS throttle and sofar they do the job fine for me.

One more question i would have is, with the VirPil stick, the base seems verry narrow, and the only options for mounting i can find is with the desk clamp stuff, which, (albeit it better probably) I have no interest/room in using. Will the stick be fine for on desk use with the narrow base?

(I cant seem to find a desk plate base on their EU shop( like gunfighter pro/TM Warthog uses)

In a more budget friendly option for just the stick, I can get either TM Warthog (stick only) or CH Fighterstick for both about 150 euros each. Which would be the better choice of these? I prefer a light stick, and also do alot of helo flying.

I hear the TM is heavy stick, and the stiction issues. But am also hearing people dont like the CH stick for helo's since the 2 axis construction they use, can anyone elaborate on this?

No, Virpil base is designed to be mounted, not suited for desktop use.

TM Warthog is a good choice, although VKB or Virpil has much better gimbal system. VKB does for sure, Virpil looks good but again no reports yet.

Warthog is a roll of the dice as far as quality you will get, I have had two in my possession. My original gimbal I bought shortly after release in 2010 is still as smooth as can be. Bought another a few months ago as had a grip button go bad, and it's gimbal is horrible by comparison - sticktion and roughness. So I just took the new grip off of it and put on my original gimbal.

If you want to buy something that is going to last, I suggest either going ahead with the VKB or Virpil. If you want just a desktop stick, go with VKB. You can always add an extension kit to the Gunfighter later , as well as the new MCG Pro grip, should you decide... Monster Tech sales the desk mounts for just this thing as well for the Gunfighter.

Don B

Quick review I did on the VKB Gunfigher Pro - https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=189345

Had it a little while now and it is still as awesome, no issues at all. Rainer from VKB America (rrohde here on the forums) is super fast and helpful with any questions or problems you might have too, best customer service I have ever experienced.

Now eagerly awaiting the MCG Pro grip for it!

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No, Virpil base is designed to be mounted, not suited for desktop use.

TM Warthog is a good choice, although VKB or Virpil has much better gimbal system. VKB does for sure, Virpil looks good but again no reports yet.

Warthog is a roll of the dice as far as quality you will get, I have had two in my possession. My original gimbal I bought shortly after release in 2010 is still as smooth as can be. Bought another a few months ago as had a grip button go bad, and it's gimbal is horrible by comparison - sticktion and roughness. So I just took the new grip off of it and put on my original gimbal.

If you want to buy something that is going to last, I suggest either going ahead with the VKB or Virpil. If you want just a desktop stick, go with VKB. You can always add an extension kit to the Gunfighter later , as well as the new MCG Pro grip, should you decide... Monster Tech sales the desk mounts for just this thing as well for the Gunfighter.

I think Virpil makes desktop mounts for their joystick. But I agree, if you can wait, wait for some real life reviews.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I think Virpil makes desktop mounts for their joystick. But I agree, if you can wait, wait for some real life reviews.

No desk top versions currently. Only the mounting bracket they offer, alternatively one could use/construct their own. The base is designed to be mounted, and the stick length would be somewhat tall for sitting on one's desk.

Don B

OP - if you really need something now, you might also search for a VKB Gladiator Pro ( not the regular Gladiator), it has a good metal gimbal system and more buttons. Many are on the base of the stick though.

Nope. Gladiator PRO has just as many buttons than Gladiator "vanilla" and one axis less - don't have twist.

If OP can't wait ~2+ mounts -nor VirPil or VKB MCG will be readily available before - their option now is TmW Warthog.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Nope. Gladiator PRO has just as many buttons than Gladiator "vanilla" and one axis less - don't have twist.

Ya I was meaning to emphasis the metal gimbal system of the Pro and more buttons that the Gunfighter.

Edited by dburne

Don B

I got hold of a VKB Mamba Mk III which is an older version of the Gunfighter mechanism without the clutches.

I double sprung and put on an extension, the stick initially was too light for me. Then I reduced the saturation a bit to stop me straining the stick at extreme throws, with the "not recommended" double springs.

It's a fantastic piece of hardware, the Hog is good but once you have used this mechanism you will immediately appreciate the precision, the accuracy is amazing.

The downside for me is even with this beautiful piece of hardware I'm still a crap pilot, but that's hardly VKB's fault.

Like others have stated I'd wait until Virpil bases hit the streets I'm sure reviews and comparisons between the products will be soon.

All I can say is that if you go VKB, I'm pretty confident you will not be disappointed.

I got hold of a VKB Mamba Mk III which is an older version of the Gunfighter mechanism without the clutches.

I double sprung and put on an extension, the stick initially was too light for me. Then I reduced the saturation a bit to stop me straining the stick at extreme throws, with the "not recommended" double springs.

It's a fantastic piece of hardware, the Hog is good but once you have used this mechanism you will immediately appreciate the precision, the accuracy is amazing.

The downside for me is even with this beautiful piece of hardware I'm still a crap pilot, but that's hardly VKB's fault.

Like others have stated I'd wait until Virpil bases hit the streets I'm sure reviews and comparisons between the products will be soon.

All I can say is that if you go VKB, I'm pretty confident you will not be disappointed.

I tried the both VKB joystick last week ( as I have already the Gunfighter PRO )

Even if you think that the VKB Mamba is a good joystick

the VKB Gunfighter PRO is far better :thumbup: ... specially , when you are use the new mecanism with the clutch system.

Clevo Sager - i7 6700-K 4.0Ghz OC@4.4Ghz - RAM 32GB DDR4 - VIDEO Nvidia 980 GTX 8Go - XFi SoundBlaster

VR with Oculus Rift - KGB Gunfighter-Pro + Cougar Gaz + Simped + volant T300 + pédalier LeoBodnar

Their gimbal design also allows you to add friction to the joystick to overcome the centering force, giving you the ability to use it as a helicopter cyclic in a pinch.

Hold on..... You mean that you can add a friction to the stick so it will stay in the position where you release from it?

If I understanded that correctly.... WOW!

At least then without FF that is then second best thing I have heard!

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I Think im ordering a VKB gladiator mkII pro today :D. (the clutch system of gunfighter seems nice but it adds alot more money to an already expensive piece of kit ;) )

Will wait till MCG grip comes out (they said around november for EU ) and will order that too.

Thanks for all the replies.

I tried the both VKB joystick last week ( as I have already the Gunfighter PRO )

Even if you think that the VKB Mamba is a good joystick

the VKB Gunfighter PRO is far better :thumbup: ... specially , when you are use the new mecanism with the clutch system.

Just curious, but have you compared the Gunfighter Pro Vs the Fat Black Mamba Mk III?

The Mamba is not the Gladiator.

I don't doubt for a second that the clutches in the Gunfighter Pro will take the stick action to whole new level, with the ability to customize the friction. Therefore overall the Gunfighter will be the better stick.

I just wondered about precision as the Fat Black Mamba Mk III, from what I understand, has an identical all metal mechanism and sensors that is pretty much the same as in the Mamba.

To be clear I am not trying to be argumentative about this I am just asking the question to understand.

Hold on..... You mean that you can add a friction to the stick so it will stay in the position where you release from it?

If I understanded that correctly.... WOW!

At least then without FF that is then second best thing I have heard!

That is correct - and you can set the spring weight and clutch drag independently for each axis.

Also if you want to 'compromise' and swap freely between helo and fixed wing the clutch works in such a way as you can set a little bit around the center, but the springs still return the stick to center if moved further away.

So hovering is a breeze as it is light and can hold minor positions away from ctr, then jump in a jet with no adjustments and you have full return to pretty much ctr also with good weight on the stick at deflection.

Else yes you can tweak up the clutches and the stick will hold position wherever you want.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]