2.5 Merge Question

Azazel

Currently I just have the Alpha version of DCS installed and I would like to keep things to one version after my reformatting of my rig last week. My question is if all versions of DCS will go to 2.5 and stay there or will I always have the Alpha? My apologies if I'm asking a question that has been covered.

My Rig: EVGA GTX 1070 x 2 | EVGA x58 SLI classified | i7 X 990 CPU | 24 GB RAM | Windows 10 Home 64 bit| Track IR Pro | CH Fighter Stick | CH Throttle | CH Pro Pedals |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So there has been nothing official from ED on if all three versions of DCS will narrow down to just one yet?

My Rig: EVGA GTX 1070 x 2 | EVGA x58 SLI classified | i7 X 990 CPU | 24 GB RAM | Windows 10 Home 64 bit| Track IR Pro | CH Fighter Stick | CH Throttle | CH Pro Pedals |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So there has been nothing official from ED on if all three versions of DCS will narrow down to just one yet?

I'm pretty sure Wags has publicly stated that DCS will merge to one branch. And the reason for the delay is that Caucuses map in use by 1.5 needs to be updated to be melded into 2.x line.

At that point, there would be one generally available (GA) version, and an opt in beta and/or alpha releases.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I'm pretty sure Wags has publicly stated that DCS will merge to one branch. And the reason for the delay is that Caucuses map in use by 1.5 needs to be updated to be melded into 2.x line.

At that point, there would be one generally available (GA) version, and an opt in beta and/or alpha releases.

Thanks for the clarity. Drink water, face out, 10 to 2.

Edited by Azazel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@hansangb

You can use the DCS updater to switch between all three branches at anytime.

See here for detailed instructions: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

Although possible, it is not recommended to switch between the Open Alpha and the two other branches currently, because of the huge differences between them and the ammount of data that has to be downloaded everytime. But switching between the Stable Release and the Open Beta branch is absolutely no problem atm.

That would still be two and/or three branches and would be the exact same what we have now: A Stable Release branch (what you call GA) and a opt in beta/alpha. But I guess the Alpha will disappear after the merge.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

@hansangb

You can use the DCS updater to switch between all three branches at anytime.

See here for detailed instructions: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

Although possible, it is not recommended to switch between the Open Alpha and the two other branches currently, because of the huge differences between them and the ammount of data that has to be downloaded everytime. But switching between the Stable Release and the Open Beta branch is absolutely no problem atm.

That would still be two and/or three branches ;)

I have room so I have all three. Although mostly, I'm playing the 1.5 beta and 2.x alpha almost exclusively.

IN the future, I would be down to two. GA version (merge of 1 and 2 traing) and probably the alpha.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

The aim is to have a single, stable version of DCS World with access to all three maps. Unless you want to participate in the testing phase of updates, then you will need just one version of DCS World.

The only reason there are 3 branches right now is that the Caucasus map required re-working to be compatible with the updated graphics engine. A work that is in progress. In the meantime, the entire 2.x.x branch is an Alpha release, and the 1.x.x branch is available as 2 versions.

Post merger there will be 2 versions, the release version, and a Beta testing branch. All 3 maps will be available in both versions, so you will need just a single install, as stated.

This has been well publicised by ED, so there is no confusion about the future of DCS World. The complication was the addition of the Normandy map, which was prioritised by ED to fulfil the promises made by a defunct developer. Now that is out, it is full steam ahead getting the 1.x.x branch merged into the new engine.

• 2 weeks later...
They will 100% have the merge, because it will make things way easier for everyone

Fixed that for you: 3rd party developers will rejoice since their bugfixing will be a lot less stressful, and us players who no longer need to run multiple DCS installations :)

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset