Anyone used the Scan 3XS series of PCs

Hi guys, well yesterday my PC decided to eat itself and crash and burn. So I'm currently grounded for the forceable future.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has used the 3XS series of PCs from Scan. If so what are they like, are they worth the money and play well with DCS.

Looking for a new machine that will last a good while, and provide good FPS and VR capabilities.

Currently considering this one.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-carbon-ti-overclocked-intel-i9-7900x-skylake-x-32gb-ddr4-11gb-evga-gtx-1080-ti-sc2-500gb-m2-ssd

Edited by Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

550w PSU for a 7900k overclocked to 4.4 plus a 1080Ti with 200Watt+, I am not too confident that the PSU is adequate. 750 or 800 would be far better sized.

The rest looks ok, I would just NOT buy that combo for many reasons, the price being one of them.

I would pick a PC with a different CPU/Socket and not buy into X299.

AMD Ryzen or Threadripper are likely a good choice too if you look into VR and gaming above 1080p.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Agreed. Too much money for what you are getting.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Erm I used to buy a lot of stuff off scan (from early 2000'a onwards)

But I stopped using them when I had a few issues , their customer service is utter poop to say the least (try googling scan customer service)

I have bought a lot of stuff from OCuk and they are pretty good crowd, their forums are good for advice and there stuff is reasonably priced

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

Yep I used OCuk quite a bit, they are only 45 mins from me, I do tend to find them a tad more expensive than Scan mind you. Tend to use them for convienance more than anything.

I am looking on both sites. After reading a number of reviews on the I9 I'm starting to drift towards a I7 7700, by all accounts the I9 is extremely overpriced and it only improves Frame rates by a very small margin.

Would liked to have waited until next year before building a new machine, to see what stuff comes out this year, but I guess my hand has been forced somewhat.

Can't be without a pc for that long.

I'm hoping I can save the PSU, case and hard discs to save on some money, and even the gpu until the end of the year when I can upgrade to a 1080ti unless anything better turns up.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

What all went bang on your current rig ?

On first inspection it was looking like the motherboard, however after messing around for the last 5 days, it's starting to look like a full hard drives failure. What are the chances of 3 separate drives going at the same time.

Swapped out the OS drive for a new ssd, and I've now gotten windows to finally install afte.r several attempts, had to install 8 first and then upgrade to 10, as 10 wouldn't install as a clean installation.

Mem test is all fine and windows reporting correct memory, GPU appears to be outputting fine, latest nvidia drivers also installed no issue. As did DCS on the new ssd.

Only issue is my 2 backup hard drives are not being seen in windows whatsoever or showing in disk management. Not too sure what happened there, I did disconnect them when I installed windows so only 1 drive was connected, but after reconnecting them to the Sata, they don't seem to be working.

Is it possible to blow 3 separate hard drives at the same time??????

Anyway current situation, is I have a working pc of sorts, will pull the other drives out and test them on an external drive reader I have and see if the machine falls over again when I try to run DCS, as that's what I was doing when it all went wrong.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Which memtest (the version you burn to USB / CD?)

3 Drives blowing would be rare unless your PSU went tits up and put too many volts into them ... are they one the same SATA power cable ?

Do the drives show in the BIOS?

Can you stick your ear against one of the drives to hear if it is spooling up and spinning ?

You could try swapping one of the drives to a known good working SATA port (the one your SSD is in) just temporarily

By all means, enable SMART in Bios and read that output.

HWinfo does also read SMART data, it's a "mandatory" app anyways to "read" the PC internals and data.

No need for guessing, MEASURE & READ it !

edit :

https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

S.M.A.R.T: = self monitoring and reporting tool for drives

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Hi guys, well she's all fixed and up and running again. In the end I replaced each drive and bang she's working.

I attempted to access the drives using a external reader and while they are seen at the start, after about 30 mins, they fall over and crash. So figuring it was the drives after all.

Done a number of flights in DCS with no issues, and on the plus side, the boss has agreed that as parts have started to fail on the pc, then she thinks it's time I start planning and saving for a full build, so I'm not a grumpy bugger. ( her words ) :D :D

Thanks for all the help and advice guys.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If all 3 drives failed , that would worry the hell out of me (PSU could be dodgy or something)

Glad you are back with us buddy

If all 3 drives failed , that would worry the hell out of me (PSU could be dodgy or something)

Glad you are back with us buddy

+1

There's a good chance the drives themselves were not the reason for their failure.

I would definitely check the PSU ( I would actually replace it right away ).

3 drives don't go south at the same time usually, it does happen but it is very very seldom.

Had you raided them ? That, and all same spec and model, may make it more likely to happen.

There's a good chance the drives themselves were not the reason for their failure.

I would definitely check the PSU ( I would actually replace it right away ).

^^^This.

I agree 100%. There is a good chance of that PSU causing further casualties in the very near future.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Ok guys, advice heard and acted on. New PSU ordered and on way. All the drives were on the same Sata cable so I've ordered a new one of those as well.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

!

Are you using this PC for some production activities like video editing , or anything else CPU hungry? If not then by all means that processor does not worth 1000 dollars at all. 10/20 cores is something for production computers and will not give any advantage on gaming world for the next 3 to 5 years for sure.

Instead you should focus on the highest core speed capable processor with overclocking capabilities, like a 7700k for example.

I9 series is a poor response from Intel for the newest AMD Threadripper ... is more like marketing.

If you still have too much money to spent ... well is all your option :) !

Edited by Abburo

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom