Should I be excited???

Dav IRL

I don't want ED to waste time or money dumbing down textures or anything else to accommodate VR. I want VR to rise to the level of running something like DCS at quality levels that equal the 2D experience. I never tried the early VR goggles that had two 800x600 displays or even the later much more expensive 1024x768 versions because I knew I couldn't stand playing at that level after experiencing 1600x1200 around the year 2001, not to mention the price! I knew that the current Rift/Vive level still had not reached parity with my needs. I had already tried them on my brother's PC, but the $400 summer sale for the Rift was just too tempting. I also knew my 10 year old son would love it.

Once I got Rift set up with my home pit, I was more impressed than I expected despite already trying it at my brother's. But if I was happy with just flying, I would be flying FSX or X-Plane. I love air-to-air combat and even enjoy ground attack every now and then. Until the hardware can support the resolutions I need at the frame rates I need, VR is absolutely worthless for combat. DCS has enough problems with visibility/contrast of distant aircraft and ground objects without knocking back the resolution 20 years. Despite my love of air combat and the Rift's inability to support it, the feeling of actually being in the cockpit is so amazing that I am spending a lot more time just flying. I hope VR becomes popular and dramatically improves very quickly rather than the snails pace it has been proceeding at for the past 20 years.

So, with regard to the original topic, "Should I be excited?", I would say absolutely unless you are expecting to be able to fly combat missions effectively.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

yes ...

it's for this ... I fly only >WARBIRDS at this time

no more MFD ou HUD !!!

a lot of lovely cockpits ( better than 1000 compare to the UGLY Su-25 !!! )

and Normandy ... when you have found the graphics setup to fit with or computer ; rocks a lot too.

A real plaisure to fly over a such theater.

My too cent .

I will push to modern jet ... only when VR will be on the next stage for resolution ;)

Clevo Sager - i7 6700-K 4.0Ghz OC@4.4Ghz - RAM 32GB DDR4 - VIDEO Nvidia 980 GTX 8Go - XFi SoundBlaster

VR with Oculus Rift - KGB Gunfighter-Pro + Cougar Gaz + Simped + volant T300 + pédalier LeoBodnar

Thanks Pimp, I read that this morning, let me know how are you finding it since the initial wow factor?
After a week, I'm still in love with it. It was about 3 or 4 days when I was able to do certain maneuvers without getting that motion sickness feeling. Now I can fly constantly. I researched the motion sickness before my Rift arrived, so I took everyone's advice. When you start to feel weird just stop and take a long break(couple hours). The feeling goes away and then you can resume play. The first time I really felt weird was my first flight in the Huey. I oscillate a lot in the Huey so that really got me. So I turned it off until it subsided. Then got right back on it. :)

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I don't want ED to waste time or money dumbing down textures or anything else to accommodate VR. I want VR to rise to the level of running something like DCS at quality levels that equal the 2D experience. I never tried the early VR goggles that had two 800x600 displays or even the later much more expensive 1024x768 versions because I knew I couldn't stand playing at that level after experiencing 1600x1200 around the year 2001, not to mention the price! I knew that the current Rift/Vive level still had not reached parity with my needs. I had already tried them on my brother's PC, but the $400 summer sale for the Rift was just too tempting. I also knew my 10 year old son would love it.

Once I got Rift set up with my home pit, I was more impressed than I expected despite already trying it at my brother's. But if I was happy with just flying, I would be flying FSX or X-Plane. I love air-to-air combat and even enjoy ground attack every now and then. Until the hardware can support the resolutions I need at the frame rates I need, VR is absolutely worthless for combat. DCS has enough problems with visibility/contrast of distant aircraft and ground objects without knocking back the resolution 20 years. Despite my love of air combat and the Rift's inability to support it, the feeling of actually being in the cockpit is so amazing that I am spending a lot more time just flying. I hope VR becomes popular and dramatically improves very quickly rather than the snails pace it has been proceeding at for the past 20 years.

So, with regard to the original topic, "Should I be excited?", I would say absolutely unless you are expecting to be able to fly combat missions effectively.

Ive seen videos of people playing in the A10-C in VR and they seem to be able to cope, is it that bad?

Edited by Dav IRL

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

Looking back when Black Shark came out 'standalone' it is really incredible how far DCS has come, unbelievably so. Here are some points after experiencing DCS on the rift:

I will never ever and I mean ever play on a 2d screen again, never. The graphics were way better than what I expected at a pixel rate of 1.6 and settings generally set to high it was a butter smooth experience in Nevada, Normandy had a few hitches. I have DCS & Windows on my SSD drive.

I have most modules but only flew the A10-C & the F15 simply because I was too engrossed to visit the rest of the aircraft, holy shit I can’t wait to try out the Shark.

The cockpit detail is phenomenal, there is no other word, every gauge, every switch literally pops out in all its 3d glory, you can’t ever and I mean ever imagine this until you experience it, there is nothing close.

I can only describe it as if you were sitting in a cinema all to yourself, thats your monitor, and yet everything you see is fully rendered in 3d, the grass the pit, the dials just pop out in a 3d spectrum across your vision.

The head tracking is so awesome that I will never use my TrackIR again, I don’t mean to offend anyone at all but when you go VR you will agree, just think no more re-centring your view after twisting your neck!

Standing in the hanger makes you appreciate the enormous size of the planes in the sim, even rolling down the runway as you glance left and see your wing mans giant A-10C rolling for takeoff, damn. The lighting effects from the sun are way more impressive, the details that you just can’t see in 2d are god damn everywhere. A building goes from being a square box on a 2d screen to a 3 dimensional object.. While I am on the subject it would be great if ED added crowds of civilians for protests and medical facility's etc..

Missile launches look amazing by the way, the smoke streaming from the missile as it jets off in 3d glory on its forsaken path to obliterate the enemy.

You can still use your mouse to click the instruments, its simple, even setting up controls is possible if you know the feel of your keyboard. I can’t believe the performance and smoothness in VR, sold. I thought I would be disappointed in some way and I am the exact opposite, I was expecting a downfall and didn’t get one, I was taken to the future of the video games industry but in my favourite sim, I felt lucky, I felt like money well spent.

I was a 4k graphics snob at the best of times but if your a simmer and love your graphics don’t hesitate, you want be disappointed. Thank God for VR!!

Edited by Dav IRL

You can still use your mouse to click the instruments, its simple, even setting up controls is possible if you know the feel of your keyboard. I can’t believe the performance and smoothness in VR, sold. I thought I would be disappointed in some way and I am the exact opposite, I was expecting a downfall and didn’t get one, I was taken to the future of the video games industry but in my favourite sim, I felt lucky, I felt like money well spent.

I was a 4k graphics snob at the best of times but if your a simmer and love your graphics don’t hesitate, you want be disappointed. Thank God for VR!!

:thumbup:

Welcome to the wonderful world of VR simming!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I see why it's always good to hear first impressions from VR users. I also say Welcome!

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

just a heads up if you haven't already worked it out the VR goggles don't have to attach with the veracity of an alien face hugger.

Careful alignment of the angle of the goggles and height in relationship to the eyeballs can improve resolution and reduce colour fringing of the displayed image. especially top and bottom portions of the image that has high contrast elements. :thumbup:

Also have you had your first crash in VR yet? :D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I am very glad you have taken the red pill :thumbup:

Thank you, I took the red pill yesterday in the Huey and my God, the choppers really are a total different beast altogether, a game changer. I got shot down and have crashed multiple times in the A10-C and the F5-E and it is crazy!!!

The F5 cockpit is just awesome, feels so spacious, the huey feels huge, I leaned out the window and it's just awesome.

Thank you, I took the red pill yesterday in the Huey and my God, the choppers really are a total different beast altogether, a game changer. I got shot down and have crashed multiple times in the A10-C and the F5-E and it is crazy!!!

The F5 cockpit is just awesome, feels so spacious, the huey feels huge, I leaned out the window and it's just awesome.

....but have you ejected yet...that is a real trip.

Or put it on auto pilot and go out to the wing!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I just got these for the Vive and they're a GREAT improvement, slightly bigger FOV but as they are closer to your eyes it makes everything clearer further out to the edges of the lens

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/r.html?C=CR243XOHCVNM&K=A2HI3LXC2RIP0X&R=1R09AWZPODSBX&T=C&U=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2Fdp%2FB01HM4QB0Y%2Fref%3Dpe_1909131_77697121_tnp_email_TE_AMZLdp_1&A=KRLPSLQQKSROKNHSZJEAE8JVY14A&H=SFITA7AABQ1XDZL4ERYSUNTC4FQA&ref_=pe_1909131_77697121_tnp_email_TE_AMZLdp_1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After 4 days of gaming in VR I decided to load up the game on the flat screen, I couldn't bear it, looked so one dimensional, linear and flat, although we could do with higher resolution screens, once you get used to it and with labels there is simply no going back. I am using voice attack which is free for the first twenty commands, I bought it anyway at 10 euros on Steam but can be used separately. I would never game on a 2d screen again, its awful looking. If this is the start can't wait to see where this is going, man its going to be incredible.

After 4 days of gaming in VR I decided to load up the game on the flat screen, I couldn't bear it, looked so one dimensional, linear and flat, although we could do with higher resolution screens, once you get used to it and with labels there is simply no going back. I am using voice attack which is free for the first twenty commands, I bought it anyway at 10 euros on Steam but can be used separately. I would never game on a 2d screen again, its awful looking. If this is the start can't wait to see where this is going, man its going to be incredible.

My experience as well, I tried it on monitor after about 3 months of flying in VR, and it just was not the same - not even close.

I have to get Voice Attack as well, going to have to do that here pretty soon as I keep meaning too. I dread getting it all setup, but am sure it will be so nice once it is.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

My experience as well, I tried it on monitor after about 3 months of flying in VR, and it just was not the same - not even close.

I have to get Voice Attack as well, going to have to do that here pretty soon as I keep meaning too. I dread getting it all setup, but am sure it will be so nice once it is.

me three... I only use my TrackIR now for ArmA3.

I'm also downloading Voice Attack... I'll probably spend the $10 for it.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

+1 for everything including Voice Attack. It's really easy to set up and has some powerful features.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

Voice Attack is a must have, very easy to use. I love doing my cold starts without even reaching my mouse. Starting my A10 or my MI-8 only with voice commands is so fun ! And shouting orders to the side gunners in the Huey in the heat of combat is something you have to experience once :thumbup:

Too bad CA's is a mess. I'd like to have tried out

Driver, Stop

Gunner, Sabot, Tank

"Identified"

"up"

Fire!

"on the way!"

in VoiceAttack. My brother (who was a tanker) would surely appreciate it.

:)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Just got my Rift today. Sure it could be more hi-res but WOW..... just WOW!!! I'm actually "IN" the cockpit! The immersion is soooo good. SA is so much better. When flying with TrackIR I always loose my orientation but now I know exactly where my targets are when turning back for another run. It's truly a gamechanger for flightsims. I just can´t wait for the next gen VR! :)

Just got my Rift today. Sure it could be more hi-res but WOW..... just WOW!!! I'm actually "IN" the cockpit! The immersion is soooo good. SA is so much better. When flying with TrackIR I always loose my orientation but now I know exactly where my targets are when turning back for another run. It's truly a gamechanger for flightsims. I just can´t wait for the next gen VR! :)

Yeah, this is very hard to explain to people w/o VR experience. And you can actually use terrain association to identify where the targets are (in relation to the terrain). Hell, just circling and lining up for landings is so much easier than TIR. Now go near a SAM site and defend against it by flying the plane while keeping an eye on the missile. What's the saying "if you can see the missile, you can defeat the missile"

Welcome to the club.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

+1 for everything including Voice Attack. It's really easy to set up and has some powerful features.

amen buddy, I've got VA rocking now! truly a must with VR! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

:thumbup:

It is great isn't it!

Welcome to the club!!

Don B