Anti air defence - Infinite ammo for it - how to ?

Johnny_Rico

Hi Folks,

I want to create some AA units (SAM and AAA) but I dont want them to run out of ammo , any easy wat of doing this ?

AA / SAMs are based at an airfield

Thanks in advance for any help

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

Thanks for your reply

Any idea how close ?

Do you know how long does it take to re-arm ?

Different weapon systems have different timers. You'll need to be specific.

^

Thanks for your reply

Any idea how close ?

Do you know how long does it take to re-arm ?

For SAMs like the Linebacker a few seconds or so, Stinger/Igla also.

SAMs like the SA-10 can take multiple minutes if not a few hours.

Thanks for the replies guys

I use Shilka's , Vulcans , Linebackers, Tunguskas and Hawk

Distance from truck needs to be closer than ? number of metres ?

trying to find correct trucks in editor right now

If they are at an airfield and the field is already owned by the coalition then they will rearm automatically. Also applies to farps and warehouse objects. Its 2km radius for airbases and 200m for everything else. In terms of Russian trucks that can rearm, its pretty much any truck. They have a lot more than US does.

Here is a table I made after the new rearm logic was implemented.

Rearm types:

1: Rearms whole magazine in one go, regardless of the number of ammo used. This is typical of AAA

2: Rearms one weapon at a time, thus the rearm time scales with the amount of ammo needed to rearm

3: Rearms in sets of weapons. For example the SA-15 (TOR) has 2 packs of 4 missiles that it rearms in.

You should notice that the larger sam sites have a "max ammo" value that matches the number of "tubes" or launchers associated with it. Smaller sams, usually IR, typically have a "reserve" where they store more missiles than they have launch tubes. So best to think of those missiles as being in storage. When these missiles are used the "reload" process is fairly short. However the total rearm time takes this storage into account.

[TABLE]Sam Site Re-arm Type Re-arm per Rearm Time Max Ammo Min Rearm Time Max Rearm Time

SA-3 3 2 360 4

SA-6 2 1 600 3 1800

SA-8 2 1 300 6 1800

SA-9 2 1 338 4 1352

SA-10 2 1 1800 4 7200

SA-11 2 1 240 4 960

SA-13 2 1 250 8 2000 Has Reserve

SA-15 3 4 650 8

SA-18 2 1 43 4 172

SA-19 2 1 134 8 1072

SA-19 Guns 1 2935 1936

Patriot 2 1 1800 4 7200

Hawk 3 3 120 3 120

Avenger 2 1 40 16 640 Has Reserve

Roland 2 1 70 8 560 Has Reserve

Stinger 0

Chaparrel 2 1 8 0 Has Reserve

Linebacker 2 1 23 10 230 Has Reserve[/TABLE]

Notes: I don't know why the Hawk can rearm so quickly. Seems a little OP to me.

If AI are near a warehouse to rearm, then they will rearm. The only way you can interrupt it is to us Combined Arms and the force interrupt rearm command. AI shouldn't decide to rearm if potential targets are nearby, but they might.

• Like 1

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Thanks grimes , thats great they are right on airfields so should re-arm automatically

Thanks for publishing that table

• 6 months later...

Setting the map option UNLIMITED WEAPONS doesn't seem to affect ground units like SAM Patriot.

This option should also bypass the timers then too if it bypasses the requirement of facilities, some kind of a default low timer. I'm trying to do some testing.

EDIT: Oh a warehouse too ... I was using only transport truck. https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=182623

Is there any idea if the rearming thing would ever be deeply simulated do people want this, is it worth it ?

It should be CPU hungry, but that you would need actually rearm vehicle and transporter to drive to warehouse and back, same for fuel, or drive from airport to nearby location, in large scales you would see whole convoys of tankers and transporters.

But need the necessary units first, vehicle transporters too, the slower reload vehicle put on another truck trailer for example.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Grimes, is this info on the wiki?

No. Its from a spreadsheet I made when testing out the changed rearming behavior. It basically just contains sams and a few artillery types.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

• 3 years later...
On 8/6/2017 at 1:38 AM, Grimes said:

If they are at an airfield and the field is already owned by the coalition then they will rearm automatically. Also applies to farps and warehouse objects. Its 2km radius for airbases and 200m for everything else. In terms of Russian trucks that can rearm, its pretty much any truck. They have a lot more than US does.

Here is a table I made after the new rearm logic was implemented.

Rearm types:

1: Rearms whole magazine in one go, regardless of the number of ammo used. This is typical of AAA

2: Rearms one weapon at a time, thus the rearm time scales with the amount of ammo needed to rearm

3: Rearms in sets of weapons. For example the SA-15 (TOR) has 2 packs of 4 missiles that it rearms in.

You should notice that the larger sam sites have a "max ammo" value that matches the number of "tubes" or launchers associated with it. Smaller sams, usually IR, typically have a "reserve" where they store more missiles than they have launch tubes. So best to think of those missiles as being in storage. When these missiles are used the "reload" process is fairly short. However the total rearm time takes this storage into account.

[TABLE]Sam Site Re-arm Type Re-arm per Rearm Time Max Ammo Min Rearm Time Max Rearm Time

SA-3 3 2 360 4

SA-6 2 1 600 3 1800

SA-8 2 1 300 6 1800

SA-9 2 1 338 4 1352

SA-10 2 1 1800 4 7200

SA-11 2 1 240 4 960

SA-13 2 1 250 8 2000 Has Reserve

SA-15 3 4 650 8

SA-18 2 1 43 4 172

SA-19 2 1 134 8 1072

SA-19 Guns 1 2935 1936

Patriot 2 1 1800 4 7200

Hawk 3 3 120 3 120

Avenger 2 1 40 16 640 Has Reserve

Roland 2 1 70 8 560 Has Reserve

Stinger 0

Chaparrel 2 1 8 0 Has Reserve

Linebacker 2 1 23 10 230 Has Reserve[/TABLE]

Notes: I don't know why the Hawk can rearm so quickly. Seems a little OP to me.

If AI are near a warehouse to rearm, then they will rearm. The only way you can interrupt it is to us Combined Arms and the force interrupt rearm command. AI shouldn't decide to rearm if potential targets are nearby, but they might.

I just found this more than 4 years old post on the topic of SAM rearm logic and time. I am very interested in that subject at the moment, and have a few additional questions:

1) Does anyone know if what @Grimesexplained here above is still up to date ? (maybe @Grimes ? 🙂)

2) DCS manual states (p316): "Upon exhausting all their ammunition, ground units, such as air defense systems, missile defense systems, self-propelled guns, infantry fighting vehicles and tanks, may all have their ammunition stores be replenished using supply vehicles." After some testing, it doesn't look like "Upon exhausting all their ammunition" is correct. For example, I made a test with one SA-11 launcher (4 missiles), made it fire 2 of its missiles (so, 2 were left), waited for some time and could watch it replenish to 3 then 4.

So, is it "Upon exhausting all their ammunition" or "As soon as they are no longer at ammo max" ? 

3) Is there any way (through scripting) to know WHEN a launcher is starting its rearm process ?

Thx