Are these specs any good for 4K and VR at good framerates?

Hi guys, as you know my pc decided to kill itself, I'm still attempting to get it going again, however if all fails, I'm crrently looking at the specs below for the new build.

Do you guys think this is the right specs for 4K simming and Oculus Rift use which will hopefully play everything on high settings for next few years. Or should I be considering other specs. I9 and the new motherboards are still a tad too expensive at mo given the improvements they currently bring.

2x 3TB Seagate ST3000DM008 BarraCuda, 3.5" HDD, SATA III - 6Gb/s, 7200rpm, 64MB Cache, 9.5ms, NCQ, OEM - Standard gaming drives for music / films / downloads / steam etc,

SanDisk Ultra II SSD 960 GB SATA III 2.5 inch Internal SSD up to 550 MB/s Read and up to 500 MB/s Write - Flight sim drive,

500GB Samsung 960 Evo, V-NAND, M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen 3.0 x4, 3200MB/s Read, 1800MB/s Write, 330K/330K IOPS - Operating system drive only,

Intel Core i7 7700K oc to 4.8 ghz,

Asus Maximus IX Hero,

32GB DDR4,

Corsair H100i V2

Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GDDR5X VR Ready Graphics Card, 3584 Core, 1569MHz GPU, 1683MHz Boost

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

You can hardly make a PC any faster than that so the answer is yes. That'll do, but, this being DCS, in any mission that contains more than a couple of dozen AI units, it too will be running below 60 (4k) / 45 (VR) fps and variably so, just like most other PCs today.

I would say just build it and don't even think about the performance until v2.5 comes out. Both 1.5.7 and 2.1.1 are worse, performance wise, than any of the recent previous versions.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

No config today is capable of running DCS 2.1.1. at 4K or VR with high settings and high frame rate, though obviously "acceptable" level of eyecandy and fps are very subjective matter. That being said, you're aiming at a friggin' powerhouse machine, so with some compromise settings plus hopefully some game optimizations in next couple of months, you should be getting "not bad" performance.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

That would be a very nice rig.

Just be aware as others mentioned, don't plan on high settings in DCS especially 2.1 in VR at this time.

If I were building one at this time, that would certainly be similar to what I would shoot for.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'd watercool that CPU. Mine runs a little warm at only 4.5.

The cooler he lists is a AIO-Watercoolset by Corsair, all good ;)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

If you don't have budget limit, I would recommend to replace the SSD for the flightsim storage with the fastest Samsung Nvme 960 Pro 1TB: it can help avoid stuttering.

MainMenulogo.png.6e3b585a30c5c1ba684bc2d91f3e37f0.png

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz

ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, HP Reverb Pro

If you don't have budget limit, I would recommend to replace the SSD for the flightsim storage with the fastest Samsung Nvme 960 Pro 1TB: it can help avoid stuttering.

It won't, the stuttering in DCS does not come from HDD lagging. A regular SSD is more than enough.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Cheers guys, I'll head for this build now. Luckily this morning I've managed to resserect the old pc, well sort off anyway. Things still are not great with it, but it will give me a few months leeway to get the money together for this. Would keep the boss happier rather than getting out on credit.

Thanks for the advice. At least I know I'm on the right track. Been a long time since I last looked at components

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

You probably shoud not OC your i7 7700K as this model is having a lot of temperature spikes problems. The fact is that Intel had to issue a statement to inform its customers that overclocking this model will void the garanty.

"[intel] do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called “de-lidding”)."

Source

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

You probably shoud not OC your i7 7700K as this model is having a lot of temperature spikes problems. The fact is that Intel had to issue a statement to inform its customers that overclocking this model will void the garanty.

"[intel] do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called “de-lidding”)."

Source

Mmmm that's interesting, it's a pre overclocked bundle that comes with a 3yr garentee. Will need to speak to Scan and find out how they would deal with this, Thankyou for the heads up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]