DCS 1.5.6.5199 Mission Editor Save Corruption Bug

This is a bug I've seen before, although I don't remember if I made a report about it previously.

At times when you save a mission, the airbase icons will disappear from the [Caucuses] map in the mission editor. Once this happens, you won't be able to select them as a place to spawn or land aircraft.

Reloading the mission does not fix the issue. The mission file will be permanently damaged. To fix the mission you need to unzip the .miz file, open the mission file, and then copy and paste the trigger list, coalition list, weather, etc into a new mission file and then rezip into a .miz.

I managed to repair the mission that broke in this case (see attachment). The mission broke originally after I tried to save with the triggers window open. I think this is what caused the problem.

I've saved the original broken mission as it was upon breaking and also saved the fixed mission with Notepad++ edited mission file component. They are labeled by folders. If you know how to fix this, it's an annoying but not fatal bug. However if you're not familiar with this problem, it will destroy missions that you've spent hours on.

DCS_1.5.6.5199_Bug.zip

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

If it helps, it happened again with the same mission (I've made updates). This time the trigger menu did not trigger it. Immediately before the bug hit I made an edit to the briefing. I made sure to close the briefing window.

New version is attached.

F-5E MiG Hunt.miz

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Ever since this bug occured i always reload the mission after running it from the ME and i haven't had issues with missions at all. Not using triggers that much except to load scripts but it may still work for you as well.

A couple of months ago i created some simple mission and didn't reload it after running it from the ME, after about 20 saves it got corrupted so yeah.. it's a bug alright.

-

If man were meant to fly he'd be filled with helium.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I didn't think it had to do with running the mission, but in all instances I think the bug occurred after I did a test run.

One last update on this since I seem to have pushed the mission into a unique position. It now will 100% of the time cause the airbase disappearance bug to happen upon saving, at least on my machine. I've tried direct saving, saving as new, loading another mission and then reloading this mission, none of it works.

Coug4r's suggestion of reloading the missions also doesn't seem to stop it at this point. I've even restarted DCS and it still occurs on save.

F-5E MiG Hunt save2b.miz

Delete the group that has the "DictKey_WptName" next to each of its waypoints. You are going to have to remake it manually since copy and paste keeps the messed up data.

Basically whenever you see dictKey_whatever on the UI it means something screwed up when saving the mission and there is a decent chance it could have been corrupted. It was odd because there were no mission editor errors in the dcs.log that I'd expect when saving a mission. It was some other error I had never seen, nor know what created it.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Thanks Grimes. I actually just noticed that that was there. I don't think that it was present in older saves, I'll have to check later.

It might have resulted from me not correctly repairing the mission. The very first time I tried to edit the files, I forgot to place the dictionary folder into the .miz and every group name/task/etc was replaced by dictkey...

Thankfully, I never saved the mission in that state and went back to fix it correctly (to my knowledge). Maybe I missed one of the groups somehow, though.

EDIT

It looks like deleting the group and creating a new copy (from scratch, not copy paste) doesn't keep the airbases from vanishing.

The problem group is also in old versions so I probably didn't copy something correctly. I might have to start over with this mission.

Edited by Exorcet

Could you post a DCS.log after it occurs? I'm curious if it had the same error that I was seeing.

Here is a log file. I just opened DCS, loaded the mission, saved as a new mission, and got the error.

dcs.zip

Log showed basically the same thing as mine. Specifically all of these lines:

00090.880 ERROR   LUA-GUI_MAP: Map already has user object having id[10002]!

Its most likely those units that caused it because getting rid of them removes the errors on my PC. If it doesn't work for you then there is no obvious problem from the logs. I guess try a version I saved on my PC and see if it helps.

F-5E MiG Hunt save_savedOnAnotherPC.miz

That did work, although for one reason or another a random Red aircraft wound up at a blue airbase. That's a lot less of a problem though so I don't mind. Thanks Grimes.