TrackIR and Opentrack/Delanclip/PS Eye

After a year of using Opentrack/Delanclip/PS Eye, I thought I would check out TrackIR out of curiosity.

So, I bought one with the Vector Clip and decided to try it out with the Delanclp as well, as others have said it is superior to the plastic TrackIR Pro Clip.

So, after spending most of yesteday setting up curves etc. to just as I like them, I can honestly say, that I see no benefit of the TrackIR system compared to Opentrack.

Opentrack has the same curve adjustments are the 6 DOF, and the PS Eye camera driver has the same - if not better - filter options for optimum conditions.

When both systems were working, I could see no benefit in spending £150 on TrackIR. No difference between them at all, except for maybe a slightly smoother experience in TrackIR. Both performed well.

HOWEVER......

Where my computer is located, there is a window behind me, and, even with the curtains drawn, if there was any sunshine, the Vector Clip just would not work correctly at all. TrackIR was seeing loads of light points even with the filter set to max as well as the LED brightness.

Even using the Delanclip in TrackIR with sunshine proved to be problematic. Too many light points detected to make it usable.

The Delanclip/Opentrack/PS Eye combo does not have that issue. Only light seen was the 3 LEDs on the clip. I should point out that the IR filter has been removed from the camera.

So, this test rather surprised me, and my TrackIR will be going on eBay in a day or so!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks for reporting your comparison, perhaps I should give OpenTrack another try (I'm using the Delan clip + PS3eye + FaceTrackNoIR), but I'm a bit lazy and the tought of spending too much time setting up curves is a bit of a downer to me ... even more so since my current setup works just fine.

I used to also have troible with sunlight, but fixed it by rearranging the furniture on my studio, so that now the sun doesnt create reflections on the clip's field of view. :)

Anyway, thanks a lot for sharing your experience.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Rudel, does your PS Eye have the IR filter removed?

I'm using Opentrack 2.3.7 and I have attached my profile for you to try. I use the same one for all aircraft in DCS, and it works well for me. Might be a good starting point anyway to save you some time.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I've been using Opentrack for quite some time now with PS3 eye and homemade 3 point clip. Never used TrackIR so I can't compare, but Opentrack does the job, and does it well. It can be a bit tricky getting it set-up, but it is rock-solid for me. Plus it is still being developed and updated. You can go to the OT wiki at https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/wiki for additional info on configuration and use.

Yes, I had been wondering for a while if the purchase would be worth it. I was a little surprised that things turned out as they did, but on the other hand, I have had nothing but good performance from the Opentrack/Delanclip/PS Eye combo, so why should I have been!

Glad I satisfied my curiosity though!

I'm using Opentrack 2.3.7 and I have attached my profile for you to try. I use the same one for all aircraft in DCS, and it works well for me. Might be a good starting point anyway to save you some time.

How do I test this out? I am using opentrack with delan clip and ps3 eye.

thanks

8600K|64 GB 3200|4090|m.2

http://www.blacksharkden.com/

Come join us!

Do you mean how do you test that the IR filter has been removed? If so, then I'm guessing you didn't do it yourself like I did! Did you buy it from Delan when you bought the clip? If you did, then their PS Eye cameras already have the filter removed.

Yes ... I purchased it already modified, from Delan. It's a good webcam, I'm running it at almost 120 Hz at 320 x 240 ... tried higher resolutions at 60-75 Hz, but found that the tracking was smoother at my current setting.

Thanks a lot for sharing ... I will give it a try on next weekend, just to see if I'm missing much by using FaceTrackNoIR :)

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

well, here in argentina its about 388 US DOLLARS to get a trackir.

So i made one for 10 dollar and a ruler from my work. just broke the ruler in 2 parts. and a pen.

bought 3 leds/wires and some tape (all of this costed me less than 10 dollars.).

made one for a friend too.

9oleVe2.jpg

i got a logitech c170 camera for 25usd and im very happy with all of this.

I7 7700k - Msi Z270 Gaming+

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

2x Samsung 850EVO 250/500 - 1x HDD 1TB

SAITEK-MAD CATZ CYBORG FLY 5 STICK

WIN 10

It can be a bit tricky getting it set-up, but it is rock-solid for me..

This is what you don't have to deal with in the case of TIR.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

This is what you don't have to deal with in the case of TIR.

Really don’t know what you mean. TrackIR was exactly the same to set up in terms of time etc. with curves as Opentrack. No easier at all.

Thanks a lot for sharing ... I will give it a try on next weekend, just to see if I'm missing much by using FaceTrackNoIR :)

FacetrackNIR just seems clunky and outdated compared to Opentrack in my opinion. And, Opentrack is still being updated and developed.

Really don’t know what you mean.

Just as Len62 said, 'it can be a bit tricky to get it setup'. TIR is literally plug-n-play. The default curves are acceptable for most people.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Just as Len62 said, 'it can be a bit tricky to get it setup'. TIR is literally plug-n-play. The default curves are acceptable for most people.

It is no way plug-n-play!

If you want to accept default curves, then Opentrack is also plug-n-play, but really, neither system works well with default curves, and tweaking them is exactly the same in both.

No difference in setup time at all.

I'm using Opentrack with a Delanclip & a PS3 Eye (with IR Filter) for 4 weeks now and it works great. Setting up the Curves in Opentrack took a few hours, but that's it. No performance issues or anything.

And for just a bit over 50€ (S&H incl.) it's a treat, compared to TrackIR, which would have cost me far more. Delanclip looks really durable to me.

My advice; if you're looking for some Tracker system and are hold off by the price for TrackIR, go get one of the cheaper competitors and try out Opentrack.

Edited by Canadus
Typos

Ryzen 5800XD - 32GB RAM - Sapphire RX 7900 XTX - VKB Stuff + MFG Crosswind Pedals

Homebase: Southwest Germany 🇩🇪

I'm using Opentrack with a Delanclip & a PS3 Eye (with IR Filter) for 4 weeks now and it works great. Setting up the Curves in Opentrack took a few hours, but that's it. No performance issues or anything.

And for just a bit over 50€ (S&H incl.) it's a treat, compared to TrackIR, which would have cost me far more. Delanclip looks really durable to me.

My advice; if you're looking for some Tracker system and are hold off by the price for TrackIR, go get one of the cheaper competitors and try out Opentrack.

mine was cheaper, got the ps3eye for 8€ and 3d printed my clip :P, the leds were about 1€

mine was cheaper, got the ps3eye for 8€ and 3d printed my clip :P, the leds were about 1€

How much did your 3d printer cost?

well, here in argentina its about 388 US DOLLARS to get a trackir.

So i made one for 10 dollar and a ruler from my work. just broke the ruler in 2 parts. and a pen.

bought 3 leds/wires and some tape (all of this costed me less than 10 dollars.).

made one for a friend too.

9oleVe2.jpg

i got a logitech c170 camera for 25usd and im very happy with all of this.

btw this are just white leds, and the logitech c170 camera software has an option to reduce compensation or something like that that makes the whole cmaera black but only catchs the white leds :)

so i use it even on day time and with windows in my back. if theres a very strong light behind me, i even reduce the bright and increase contrast and somestuff that it got in the software to fix it.

the white leds doesnt hit my screen couse its a "cap" model, so it goes attached in the top of my headset.

I7 7700k - Msi Z270 Gaming+

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

2x Samsung 850EVO 250/500 - 1x HDD 1TB

SAITEK-MAD CATZ CYBORG FLY 5 STICK

WIN 10

I'm using Opentrack 2.3.7 and I have attached my profile for you to try. I use the same one for all aircraft in DCS, and it works well for me.

Hi,

I finally tried OpenTrack and I must admit that it indeed works very well, I liked the stability of the image when you keep the head immobile, which is better than FaceTrack's

However, I couldnt get the binded keys to work for controlling the headtracking, in particular the key for centering the view and the key for stopping and starting the tracking (which I use when I activate snapviews).

On your config file you have binded the Num 5 key for centering, but it doesnt work ... ¿it happens to you too?

Best regards.

The keys all work fine for me. In fact, now I have centering set to the slew nipple push button on my TM Warthog throttle. Works nicely!

The keys all work fine for me. In fact, now I have centering set to the slew nipple push button on my TM Warthog throttle. Works nicely!

OK, I will recheck tomorrow, perhaps its due to not having uninstalled Facetrack prior to installing OpenTrack. Best regards.