F-14 as a pilot: A change in the total control we are used to in the F-15

Ghostrider142

I read a ton of Vietnam aviation books and I always see the front seaters refered to "nose gunners" instead of pilots. I thought that was pretty funny.

~Rob

Ward Carroll uses that term quite often in his Punk's War series. Of course, as an ex RIO, he should be very familiar with that communities banter.

<Salute>

Punk

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm pretty sure there is almost 0 chance of Jester being "overpowered" in MP or being somehow unrealistic.

When it comes right down to it; it will be pretty much worse in every way to a modestly competent human RIO.

It won't be bad, but it's still an AI. You still need to direct what you want it to do (in some respects) - and for its' automated functions, they will still never be as good as a human who can make much more dynamic and complex assertions.

• Like 1

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

how will jester be integrated into the f-14 -- will it be part of the aircraft default state? ex. if there's no human occupying the slot, then will it automatically revert to jester control (always forcing a complete crew), or will the seat just be empty unless jester was set for the position in the editor?

Edited by probad

how will jester be integrated into the f-14 -- will it be part of the aircraft default state? ex. if there's no human occupying the slot, then will it automatically revert to jester control (always forcing a complete crew), or will the seat just be empty unless jester was set for the position in the editor?

1+

Also, how will we interact with it? Will there be a special comm menu page, or some other way?

DCS: MiG-23

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Make it happen, and take my money! :D

That is the point of the real RIO in the real aircraft. The pilot offloads work to someone else to concentrate on flying. If you want a simulation, you want the pilot to be offloading the work.

It ain't the workload that is worrying by some, it is the nice discussions between them and RIO they are missing:

Hopefully Jester has a nice female voice as option! :smilewink:

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Is an AI pilot foreseen as well for the module?

Not planned except for maybe some basic attitude hold right now.

It will be part of the aircraft in its' default state. If a human leaves, JESTER takes over; if a player joins, JESTER is passive.

JESTER flips switches and changes settings just like a human player; so whatever JESTER has set before the player either switches into the RIO seat or joins on a human pilot is what you'll have to work with.

For the crazies who prefer no JESTER whatsoever, I'm sure we'll have an option to inhibit any and all JESTER activity and reports.

1+

Also, how will we interact with it? Will there be a special comm menu page, or some other way?

Radial menu with sub options. Individual commands are seperately mappable; so you will be able to hotkey whichever commands you will use most often.

• Like 1

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Not planned except for maybe some basic attitude hold right now.

It will be part of the aircraft in its' default state. If a human leaves, JESTER takes over; if a player joins, JESTER is passive.

JESTER flips switches and changes settings just like a human player; so whatever JESTER has set before the player either switches into the RIO seat or joins on a human pilot is what you'll have to work with.

For the crazies who prefer no JESTER whatsoever, I'm sure we'll have an option to inhibit any and all JESTER activity and reports.

Radial menu with sub options. Individual commands are seperately mappable; so you will be able to hotkey whichever commands you will use most often.

I realise its asking a lot but will we have a set of operating procedures that Jester works to so that we know when he will plan on locking a target and maybe even which target he is going to lock too. In that way we will know by when we will need to select a delayed lock and also what the standard sort plan is so I know when I need to tell him which target to sort to.

I fly exclusively in VR so I am thinking I may have to get voice attack or something similar.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

I realise its asking a lot but will we have a set of operating procedures that Jester works to so that we know when he will plan on locking a target and maybe even which target he is going to lock too. In that way we will know by when we will need to select a delayed lock and also what the standard sort plan is so I know when I need to tell him which target to sort to.

I fly exclusively in VR so I am thinking I may have to get voice attack or something similar.

+1

Also, Voice Attack is awesome for VR Windy, I would highly recommend it! Very powerful software and is much more than just simple voice activated commands. There is a trial version to test it out first too.

Aside from game-related commands - simple things like starting DCS and then jumping in your rig with your Rift on, only to forget to switch to Rift sound output instead of speakers - "Set sound to the Rift". I do that all the time! :doh:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

he's required to randomly say : "Do some of that pilot .......<expletive>" every now and then, otherwise it's a fail.

PG-13 Rating wont hinder module sales.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Question is will we be saying

"Jester do some of that Rio shit"

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

I've recently been listening to the audiobook version of the 'Topgun Days' book by Bio and I actually am looking forward to learning and playing as RIO just as much as being a pilot. I think my friends and I will adopt a 'take turns' approach to which seat we fly in.

i7-4770K @3.50GHz; EVGA 1070 8GB Superclocked; 16GB Ram; MSI Z97 Gaming; two Samsung 500GB SSD's in RAID; TrackIR; 32" 2560x1440 Samsung