Female pilots in DCS World

Spudknocker

I, for one, have no problem with women being given the opportunity to try. What I have a big problem with is the idea they should be allowed to pass to assuage the critics or that they have the legitimacy to complain about the standards being unfair if they fail to make the cut. Nobody would take a man seriously if did the same thing in the face of failure; why should women, who are equal to men, be any different?

Lowering standards for 'representation' purposes is a terrible idea. Many people who support 'equality of outcome', instead of equal opportunity, find that the only way to balance the outcomes is to force quotas and lower standards.

this is my sentiment on the matter exactly

I wonder if the two of you would feel the same if only female voices were available in the game.

• Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I love the fact that bunch of man are arguing about woman. xD

Doesn't matter if most woman can or cannot.

There are standards, if a woman meets them.... she is accepted.

I think this should be the end of this discussion.

Are there woman pilots in real life (military), yes. Then, it is possible and fully realistic

• Like 1

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Jumping to conclusions are we.. The two votes who disagreed with the OP must be sexist right?

It couldn't be that they want ED to focus their attention on the actual simulation and content

Funny, though, that this thread is special enough to get a "low rating," while dozens of other suggestion threads have similar numbers of people disagreeing with the suggestion (or disagreeing that it should be high priority), without anyone becoming emotional about it enough to smack the thread with a one-star rating.

Hence my conclusion. : )

Jumping to conclusions are we.. The two votes who disagreed with the OP must be sexist right?

It couldn't be that they want ED to focus their attention on the actual simulation and content, instead of the gender of the low poly avatar who's hands and knees are the only thing visible.

Virtue signal elsewhere

Perhaps you misunderstand, this thread is not about the gender of the pilot model, especially since the helmet and G-suit would pretty much obscure that anyways.

What is being requested are female pilot voices over the radio. There are already many different voices in many different languages and accents depending on the nationality of the pilots involved. And as many people have pointed out that modern and historical air forces have female pilots, it seems reasonable to include those voices in DCS.

And it does seem that pilot voices on the radio are considered important and substantial content: many campaigns explicitly advertise that they include custom voice acting, for example.

I think the request is really simple and straight forward and backed up by facts. Some of the things brought up (even on this page) to argue against it, sound like you are trying to discuss something entirely else. And I think we can all agree that the stuff you guys are trying to make this about, will go into Rule 1.7 territory. :D

• Like 1

Well the original intent of my idea was I know a few women who own, fly and maintain warbirds in real life and love to play DCS and this would make their own enjoyment in the sim go up as well as potentially attract more customers for the sim.

I think the stock non-DLC campaign pilot/atc voice overs need an update and I figured it would be a small addition to add female voice overs to the standard radio commands in the comm menu that you could then pick whether your pilot is male or female in the Logbook menu in the GUI.

I did not think this would become such a decisive topic and figured it would just be a relatively simple way to add some more value to the game for those who are of the female persuasion haha

• Like 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spudknocker DCS World YouTube Channel!!

RTX 2080 Ti - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - DCS on 1TB EVO 970 M.2 SSD - Logitech X56 HOTAS

I wonder if the two of you would feel the same if only female voices were available in the game.

I actually prefer female voices on the radio.. As do many pilots i know IRL.

Personally, I wouldn't mind new voice overs in DCS (including female voices). Though I would not prioritize it on my DCS wishlist.

However, not having enough representation doesn't make the game, or anyone not bothered by the missing female voices, sexist. (referring to echo's comment)

without anyone becoming emotional about it enough to smack the thread with a one-star rating.

Hence my conclusion. : )

Two bad votes after almost 7000 views, and you think there must be some sexism/angry men. Two bad votes and you tell everyone

it may be a good idea to give the thread a high rating, to counter the low ratings given by the "vocal minority" of those anxious that their "male space is being invaded."

You're jumping to conclusions and assuming the worst in people.

Edited by Beamscanner

I think we all need to take a few steps back and stop arguing sexism, etc.

Basically it comes down to this, there is no reason NOT to have the choice (aside from dev time and priority). Hopefully this is something that is added in the future, not only female voices but female pilot models.

gallery-1447867084-captaincambell.JPG

• Like 4

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

However, not having enough representation doesn't make the game, or anyone not bothered by the missing female voices, sexist.

I'm not saying (nor implying) that anyone who isn't bothered by the omission of female pilots in DCS is being sexist. Indeed, I myself am not personally bothered by the lack of female voices; I don't really notice it, since I'm male, and am accustomed to aviation being a male-heavy field (not saying that it should be; just that I've never encountered a female pilot, neither IRL or in the virtual sky).

So, I'm not saying that anyone who isn't bothered by the lack of female voices is sexist. I'm saying that those who feel strongly that female pilots shouldn't be in DCS (and/or in the real fighter cockpit) ... those people are sexist. And I don't think anyone can objectively flip through this thread without noticing some clear cases of that, either stated or forcefully implied.

I've read this biased stuff all over the place. "Women can't do this, women can't do that, they're not strong enough, they lack stamina, they're not aggressive enough, it's scientifically proven and everybody knows it anyway", yada yada yada. Yet when women actually do all these things they're supposedly incapable of, it still doesn't seem to shatter the naysayer's worldviews. Fascinating.

I was hoping not to get dragged into a debate about "women vs men," but whether you like it not, women are different than men. Obviously, there are some women who are stronger than some men, so don't get me wrong when i say "men are generally stronger than women." There are differences between the two genders. It would be quite cool if there were women voices coming from AWACS, since women are generally better at multitasking and could fit that role better than several men, but in a dogfight, women don't quite have the strength that men do.

• Like 1

but in a dogfight, women don't quite have the strength that men do.

But what are you basing this on? First google hit: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3753357

3rd hit:

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a177986.pdf

So what do you mean by not enough strength for a dog fight? It's a weird argument. :) I am confused what physical requirements you see beyond the normal fittness a pilot needs to perform at high G's. I think there are quite enough RL cases, that we don't need to seriously argue this point?

whether you like it not, women are different than men

The differences between men, and the differences between women, are larger than the difference between the average man and the average woman: they are overlapping 'normal distributions'.

Edited by Elysian Angel
  • Like 2
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

• 2 weeks later...

+1 from me, for women’s voices and a sad shake of the head on some of the so callled reasons we shouldn’t including the last one.. best not tell “Guns” she can’t pull g, she’s only now a Canadian fighter instructor with combat tours under her belt.

In our western world you have 1 big requirement when it comes to g forces, 13 seconds unassisted at 7.5g in the fuge if you can survive that then your going to survive the rest do that and your training then your good. And biologically hate to inform people but it’s scientifically and medically proven that women have a higher G force tolerance then us guys.

Even ignoring the growing fast jet community of veteran modern female combat pilots, there are and have been plenary of women who have flown the c130, c7, b51, kc30, kc135, etc that not having the option for them in dcs seems rather silly.

I would also like to see them as awacs and more so if they add a proper GCI voice set for Normandy as it is well documented that many of the WAFs were the voices who guided intercepts.

Plus in the end, it’s simply voices, those who don’t want it once it’s in could always request a option "no female voices" but that’s hardly realistic.

I also know plenary of women who fly real world including those in the military and plenty of female simmers as well, the option for a female voice lets them do what we all do easier, immerse themselves in the pretend world we all go into, were it doesn’t matter if we can survive pulling g for real, or if our bodies have given us a raw deal in life that means we will never get to do what we pretend to do owithin DCS World.

And in the end Eagle Dynamics claim is that DCS World aims to replicate the WORLD and ERAs of combat within a digital environment, that world includes female combat pilots, female transport pilots, female grunts, female marines, female sailors and female civies.

• Like 5

i7 13700k, 64gb DDR5, Warthog HOTAS, HP Reverb G2 VR, win 11, RTX 3070

TGW Dedicated Server Admin, Australian PVE/PVP gameplay. (taskgroupwarrior.info/2020)

+1 to female voices please.

Also, some way to add our own voices. Even if we have to record the voices ourselves, and split them up into individual files to fit an exact structure so we can have some automated tool ED supplies and say "GO" and it makes the sound pack for us. Then it will randomly assign it to pilots, or maybe we can even specify specific nationalities.

I think it would be neat to have a multitude of voices available as mods.

• Like 1

Something I have long wished for.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

• 5 months later...

Sorry for posting in this oldish thread, but is anyone aware of a female Russian ATC mod? I could swear I heard that in a MiG-21Bis video somewhere, but I can't find it... thanks!

Here's the video:

${1}

Edited by Picchio

Hello ED and community! My friend really loves flying in DCS and she was wondering why there aren't options for a female pilot voice over the radio. Is this possible? She knows she's in the minority but we thought it could be cool to have the option to change your pilot's sex and thus his or her voice on the radio. Could be a way to draw more players to the sim!

I see this only now. Great idea! +++ :thumbup:

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

• 3 years later...