Female pilots in DCS World

Spudknocker

female pilot voices are a different matter from female atc voices, since one of them is actively under player control and the other isn't.

considering the number of men online who enjoy masquerading as women, coupled with the scarcity of women in both actual cockpits and in game, i can only see the results of this option moving us ever further away from a realistic representation of the air combat environment.

Good point.

My rig:I7 4970 3.5 GHZ,GTX 970,16G RAM,MSFFS2

+1 !

Owned modules: P-47 | P-51D | Spitfire MkIX | I-16 | Bf 109 K-4 | Fw190 D-9 | Fw190 A-8 | Yak-52 | MiG-15 | F-86F | C-101 | A-10C | AJS-37 | L-39 | F-5E | M-2000C | MiG-21bis | F-14 | AV-8B Harrier II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | Ka-50 | SA342 | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2.

Maps: Syria, Nevada TTR, Persian Gulf, Normandy 1944, & The Channel.

Hardware: GeForce 1080TI, I7 7700K, 32GB RAM.

https://www.lesirreductibles.com -

+1, shouldn't even be a question.

• Like 1

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

considering the number of men online who enjoy masquerading as women, coupled with the scarcity of women in both actual cockpits and in game, i can only see the results of this option moving us ever further away from a realistic representation of the air combat environment.

Emm... yea, men using women voice would been the tip on the scale of realism, while spamming bogey dope requests is a OK... :D

Come on...

I support the OP's idea ... more options is always a plus...

• Like 1

I don't get your comments at all...

(...)

What are you talking about? If you care to elaborate at all...

Anyway, +1 to the idea. I am not scared of female players or pilots, even those who are masqueraded by a bloke...

• Like 1

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Would be good to be inclusive to all. Face it, if we had much larger userbase (twice as big if equal numbers of men / women played) we'd have a much better game in various ways.

I don't buy this 'it won't be realistic' story I see here. Don't be daft. Its as realistic as actually shooting at an enemy aircraft (because realistically it happens very infrequently in modern times).

• Like 1

yes, dcs is already rife with inaccuracies, no less because players choose to play in manners removed from reality, some because they're ignorant, others because they simply don't care.

that is no excuse to keep moving the goalposts further away in the wrong direction.

when women comprise a significant majority of the air force or the flight sim community, then this feature would be fine and warranted. if you're about to argue that women keep away because they aren't "correctly" represented, then i must point out their interest in aircraft then must be flimsy and superficial.

if you're dying to have your female voice be heard, speak up over teamspeak/discord/etc.

edit: i want to just reiterate my main contention is that this feature will not actually represent the demographic that you hope it will.

Edited by probad
  • Like 1

edit: i want to just reiterate my main contention is that this feature will not actually represent the demographic that you hope it will.

Maybe, but it's overdue to change this asymmetric ratio to a more natural one.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

I appreciate your answer...

(...) when women comprise a significant majority of the air force or the flight sim community, then this feature would be fine and warranted. if you're about to argue that women keep away because they aren't "correctly" represented, then i must point out their interest in aircraft then must be flimsy and superficial.

if you're dying to have your female voice be heard, speak up over teamspeak/discord/etc.

(...)

That is so wrong on so many levels that I won't even bother to comment although I just did...

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Even if everyone does the work for free (which isn't going to happen), the time/effort involved in doing a complete set of pilot voice captures, and integrating them, including adding them to every single mission and campaign, would be a complete waste of resources.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Maybe, but it's overdue to change this asymmetric ratio to a more natural one.

yes, i believe that happens by promoting a genuine interest in aircraft with the female audience, which starts and ends with airplanes, not the female identity.

Edited by probad

I think I see the point that Probad is outlining. If a lack of female voices is what's stopping you from playing the game then you're not really that interested and certainly not worth the developers devoting their time and effort towards your cause.

BUT having said that I'm not opposed to having female voices. I don't see this as an equality or some farcical diversity / inclusiveness policy but instead I see it as an opportunity to add a bit more variation to the game. The same way FSX had female ATC voices, nobody complained and why would they. It felt natural and was.

So on conclusion I'd give a +1 for this. But it certainly shouldn't be a priority issue at this point in time.

Intel i5-8600k | EVGA RTX 3070 | Windows 10 | 32GB RAM @3600 MHz | 500 GB Samsung 850 SSD

when women comprise a significant majority of the air force or the flight sim community, then this feature would be fine and warranted.

This is silly. Even if men were the only sim flyers, female voices would be just as warranted - they exist. What it's worth to any individual is an opinion, but "requiring" the female side of DCS users to grown to some arbitrary amount before being worth doing doesn't make much sense.

if you're about to argue that women keep away because they aren't "correctly" represented, then i must point out their interest in aircraft then must be flimsy and superficial.

Voices aren't going to encourage more female players, yeah, I think the arguments supporting that are more than a little overblown.

This does nothing for single player immersion. It's not an attention grab, it's just a feature request.

I don't care who uses it. More options is better in my opinion.

Even if everyone does the work for free (which isn't going to happen), the time/effort involved in doing a complete set of pilot voice captures, and integrating them, including adding them to every single mission and campaign, would be a complete waste of resources.

I don't see that being done. The core of the request is just to include more pilot voices. ED would just need another set of pre-recorded dialogue. The wingmen already have slightly different voices. And the English #4 wingman from LOMAC had a female voice. It doesn't seem like it's a big deal.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

i have no complaints about the addition of female atc voices, but the option of female pilot voices for interaction with atc is, in my view, a wholly different issue, because the representation becomes abusable by the player, which is not something i want to see, especially with respect to the actual female demographic!

the fact this issue garners more discussion than genuinely interesting questions about aircraft and procedures (ex. the pre-vietnam intercept procedures query) found elsewhere on the forums is deplorable in itself.

Edited by probad
all i see are men in this thread

• ED Team
i have no complaints about the addition of female atc voices, but the option of female pilot voices for interaction with atc is, in my view, a wholly different issue, because the representation becomes abusable by the player, which is not something i want to see, especially with respect to the actual female demographic!

the fact this issue garners more discussion than genuinely interesting questions about aircraft and procedures (ex. the pre-vietnam intercept procedures query) found elsewhere on the forums is deplorable in itself.

The issue here is this is a simple wishlist item, it doesnt require arguments against it really, if you dont support it a simple non reply would probably suffice... no need to get into long debates over female voices.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I think I see the point that Probad is outlining. If a lack of female voices is what's stopping you from playing the game then you're not really that interested and certainly not worth the developers devoting their time and effort towards your cause...

Oh, I don't know. I guess I figure that anything that makes some folks feel more comfortable and welcome within the sim is to the sim's benefit.

I got hooked to this particular line of sims back in the 90's not because I was a diehard military flight sim fanatic but because I was able to fly under the flag of my heritage--Ukraine--the place where both sides of my family (grandparents) were born. Sometimes it's the seemingly small things that make all the difference. And that one woman who sticks simply because there's a voice for her could make all the difference to the sim's future. You never know what talent you might capture with such a simple thing.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Well, just counting the +1 and -1 responses in this thread and extrapolating to the whole community tells me that your general statement is simply false and not based on facts but rather your personal opinion.

The issue here is this is a simple wishlist item, it doesnt require arguments against it really, if you dont support it a simple non reply would probably suffice... no need to get into long debates over female voices.

we should be allowed to voice non-support. there is no vote -- the choice to induct a feature remains the developer's prerogative, but a forum is a medium for exchanges of perspectives, not an echo chamber.

i do not intend to convert anyone, but i feel compelled to make multiple responses to clarify my emphasis as it's being constantly distorted.

Oh, I don't know. I guess I figure that anything that makes some folks feel more comfortable and welcome within the sim is to the sim's benefit.

but the dcs community is already extremely friendly and accommodating to anyone who expresses the common passion towards aircraft. do you imply panther was given a rough time because the ingame voice was not her own?

Well, just counting the +1 and -1 responses in this thread and extrapolating to the whole community tells me that your general statement is simply false and not based on facts but rather your personal opinion.

there is no vote when it comes to facts. it works both ways.

Edited by probad

• ED Team

Why would you care if there was a female voice choice in the sim? It could be set up like another language? Someone could chose the option to have female voice. How would it effect anything you are doing in DCS? I doubt it would draw in anymore female users, but the ones that do get drawn in might feel more included, and that doesnt hurt anything.

we should be allowed to voice non-support. there is no vote -- the choice to induct a feature remains the developer's prerogative, but a forum is a medium for exchanges of perspectives, not an echo chamber.

i do not intend to convert anyone, but i feel compelled to make multiple responses to refocus my emphasis as it's being constantly distorted.

but the forum community is already extremely friendly and accommodating to anyone who expresses the common passion towards aircraft. do you imply panther was given a rough time because the ingame voiceover was not her own?

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Why would you care if there was a female voice choice in the sim? It could be set up like another language? Someone could chose the option to have female voice. How would it effect anything you are doing in DCS? I doubt it would draw in anymore female users, but the ones that do get drawn in might feel more included, and that doesnt hurt anything.

Correct, on that level it does not affect me, nor anyone. Technically, it can go either way -- if I should not be perturbed by a Russian, Chinese, or a woman's voice, then a woman should not be perturbed by a man's voice.

So what basis then do we have to fall back on if it can swing any which way? I personally think if DCS aims to be a simulator guided by the concept of "fidelity" then it should use the real world as a precedent to resolve these quandaries. That is the basis for the "realism" argument, and why I think it's fine for the game to maintain a predominantly male voice scheme for players. For the sake of atmosphere and immersion, this would be the most accurate representation of an airforce experience.

Edited by probad

The fact I was referring to is, that most people think this is a useful addition. Hence, generally stating that it is a waste of time is simply not true. This is a democratic principle (hopefully without getting too political here).

PS: Let me add that I respect your opinions. I'm just arguing about the question "why not?".

Edited by funkyfranky