Female pilots in DCS World

Spudknocker

Wow definitely some interesting responses to this post. Like others have said there are many many women in military aviation and having their voices represented would simply add to the immersion as well as help my female friends enjoy DCS world more thoroughly.

My one friend she currently owns and operates an F8F Bearcat and P-51D Mustang and gets pushback for being a woman and a pilot in real life so I guess its to be expected in the sim environment as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spudknocker DCS World YouTube Channel!!

RTX 2080 Ti - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - DCS on 1TB EVO 970 M.2 SSD - Logitech X56 HOTAS

+1

Female voices are actually preferred for radio comms as they have a higher pitch so transmit better, clearer, and are easier to understand. Male voices are generally lower and monotone, so don't transmit as clearly.

In my experience it was always far easier to hear and understand female voice comms on aircraft radios.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow definitely some interesting responses to this post. Like others have said there are many many women in military aviation and having their voices represented would simply add to the immersion as well as help my female friends enjoy DCS world more thoroughly.

My one friend she currently owns and operates an F8F Bearcat and P-51D Mustang and gets pushback for being a woman and a pilot in real life so I guess its to be expected in the sim environment as well.

WHAT THE!! WHERE? HOW??? What!?!????

WHO in their right mind would give pushback over that if that might be their only opportunity to ever fly a mustang or bearcat!?!?

C-can i has ride?!?! :)

GeForce GTX 970, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8 GB ram, Win 10, 1080p

WHAT THE!! WHERE? HOW??? What!?!????

WHO in their right mind would give pushback over that if that might be their only opportunity to ever fly a mustang or bearcat!?!?

C-can i has ride?!?! :)

Harriet Hall was one of the USAF's first female flight surgeons, and she wrote a book about her experiences a few years ago titled Women Aren't Supposed to Fly (which is what the guy at ATC told her when she turned in her flight log after her first solo flight). She wrote about an experience that a female civilian flight instructor had one day when she called the tower to request a weather report. The first few responses she got back were variations of "it's a beautiful day, gorgeous, don't worry about it" or "why don't you have your husband call us back", until she finally had to yell at them that she was planning on taking off from a specific hangar in a specific plane on a specific runway, and they had better give her a goddamned weather report.

https://www.amazon.com/Women-Arent-Supposed-Harriet-Hall-ebook/dp/B007THLSPI/ref=sr_1_1_twi_kin_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1502972207&sr=8-1&keywords=Harriet+Hall+women+aren%27t+supposed+to+fly

I agree, options and inclusion of all potential pilots, gamers, etc. is a very good thing.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

• ED Team

If you wish to post please be respectful, if you are unsure please review our forum rules before posting.

Link in my signature below

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

And for what it is worth in this wish list topic, I would welcome a female voice for wingman or ATC

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

A while ago I completed the Operation Piercing Fury campaign and one of my wingmen through all of that campaign was a woman and I thought it was pretty cool actually and it added a little diversity, made it interesting. A female air traffic controller? Bring it on, mixes it up and anyway I like a womans voice.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• Like 1

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

I guess I should clarify my earlier post.

1. I don't see any defensible reason for there to not be female voices for pilots and other 'characters' in the sim. Probad's reasoning is emotional and without a logical position.

2. I do feel that whenever a new voice-over project is undertaken that female voice could be used to enhance the variety of interaction with those characters.

3. I do not agree that current voice overs should be replaced merely to insert a female voice. This is because there is to much other work to be done, even for voice actors (i.e. ATC).

4. Stating that female voice-overs would attract more female players is just plain silly. Those that want to fly will fly regardless of the gender of voice-overs.

• Like 2

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

In terms of attracting people to DCS...

I agree that it's the depth and difficulty and realism that gets people to stay, but sometimes it can be little things that get people interested, or that keep them around long enough to get into the sim and far enough along the learning curve.

This applies to individual modules, too. I remember when the F-5 was in development, there were a lot of posts from people who were excited about it because they lived in countries where the F-5 had been in service, for some of those countries it was one of the first modern fighter jets that they had acquired. When the module was first released, there was a massive thread where people were requesting and posting skins with the liveries of the various countries where it had served.

Obviously, the meticulous attention to detail, the challenge of using its older navigation system, the level of skill required to drop bombs at the specific pitch and altitude and speed to hit the target in the absence of CCIP guidance, these are all major reasons why people are attracted to the F-5 module. But for a lot of people, the simple thrill of "we flew this in my country too!" was a big draw that got them to fly the module in the first place to introduce them to all of those other features.

So I wouldn't discount the idea that having female pilot voices in the other planes in your formation might be one of those small things that makes a big difference, especially given that so many other simulators don't do that. Maybe the novelty of hearing someone who sounds like them over the radio, even if it's an AI in another plane, is the sort of refreshing thing that gets someone to stick around longer and get to know the simulator and appreciate all of those other features.

• Like 2

Harriet Hall was one of the USAF's first female flight surgeons, and she wrote a book about her experiences a few years ago titled Women Aren't Supposed to Fly (which is what the guy at ATC told her when she turned in her flight log after her first solo flight). She wrote about an experience that a female civilian flight instructor had one day when she called the tower to request a weather report. The first few responses she got back were variations of "it's a beautiful day, gorgeous, don't worry about it" or "why don't you have your husband call us back", until she finally had to yell at them that she was planning on taking off from a specific hangar in a specific plane on a specific runway, and they had better give her a goddamned weather report.

https://www.amazon.com/Women-Arent-Supposed-Harriet-Hall-ebook/dp/B007THLSPI/ref=sr_1_1_twi_kin_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1502972207&sr=8-1&keywords=Harriet+Hall+women+aren%27t+supposed+to+fly

That is retarded.... wow

Spud, that's so awesome that you actually know someone who owns a mustang!!

GeForce GTX 970, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8 GB ram, Win 10, 1080p

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jeanne Labrosse was the first female aviator in 1788.

Aide de Acosta undertook first female powered flight in 1903

Lydia Litvyak & Yekaterina Budanova both Soviet Fighter Aces, both females in WW II.

Sabiha Gökçen first female Jet Fighter Pilot, in the world. She served with the Turkish Airforce from 1936 - 1964. This Girl was tearing up the sky before my father was born.

Females have been involved in aviation since the beginning. To me this is pretty straight forward. Are there female pilots... Yes. Are there female fighter pilots? Yes. Have they been involved in military aviation since WW II? Yes.

Should DCS give them a voice? Yes.

+1

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

"Jonno"

Flying DCS since Black Shark 1.

+1000

I need to add,

My wife IS a Marine!

She served at Camp Lejeune for two years.

You notice I said IS!

Once a Marine, Always a Marine!

Her bumper sticker.........

"If it absolutely, Positively, Must be Destroyed Overnight! US Marine Corp"

Edited by Hawkeye60

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

I'm married and have a female supervisor in my civilian job and in the Guard. No thanks! This is what would happen if my "wingman" is a lady...I take off, she takes off...communications menu...Flight...RTB! I continue on alone...:) I have enough female voices in my life without having them in my games as well.

Edited by mytai01
  • Like 2

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

Maybe it would be good to have a poll to see how many of different types fly DCS ?

You fly DCS World and you identify as

1. Male

2. Female

3. Transgender

4. Apache attack helicopter

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

I was fortunate to have a female DCS user make voice overs for me in my "Steel Winter" series of missions. Kimi "Sockmonkey" Hahn played the parts of a C-130 pilot and a drone pilot in 3 of the 6 missions. With today's woman taking an increased part in civil and military aviation, I think it added realism and immersion to the missions, breaking the monotony of all male voices.

I would welcome the option of selecting a mix of male and female voices in DCS, for both ATC and pilots.

• Like 1

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

I truly believe we don't have female voices yet simply because that bridge hasn't been crossed yet in the grand scheme of DCS's development. There's actually a surprising amount of female military pilots, even in fighter roles, so it's a perfectly reasonable wish-list item, but also a minor detail in the big picture.

Even the male voice-overs (outside of some campaigns) in game right now aren't exactly up to par, so I wouldn't be surprised if this along with many other voice improvements will coincide with the eventual ATC revamp.

You can take one look around the forums and understand there's a lot of things more pressing on these developers plate.

PULL UP! PULL UP! OVER G! OVER G!....... OK Betty!:joystick:

Honestly, some of these comments sound like they made in the 1800's, you just have to swap the words 'women' and 'Coloured'.

Seems like there's a section of posters holding the position that :

"I know I have to grudgingly allow that women are real people, but their presence when they are not doing something for me makes me uncomfortable, and I just wish they'd know their place and stick to their traditional roles...

or

I know they make up 51% of the population, but I don't want to have to see them or hear them while I'm relaxing."

Really ?

What are you scared of ?

• Like 2

Cheers.