How to fly?

nikita_nomad

Hi guys,

Im tottally new to DCS and to flight sims in general. But I really want to learn it, so does anyone can suggest me some pdf/youtube/or any other tutorials on how to fly in dcs? And I dont mean specific aircraft operation, for them there are manuals,as I know. But my interest is in general flight rules, terminology, routines, how to read and use airport charts that are provided etc. Or should I learn from fsx/xplane and apply that to DCS? :book:

Any advice will be appreciated,

Best regards,

N

If you want to start with the textbook version of "how to fly" then start with the FAA's Airplane Flying Handbook:

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/

Early chapters cover the physics of flight, most common airplane systems, and navigation.

All symbols on the FAA's charts are documented here:

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/aero_guide/

Things like nav beacon symbols are standardized across all mapping agencies to my knowledge.

For FAA charts themselves, the data is free online, start with a site like skyvector.com. the NTTR terrain is a faithful modeling of the area near Las Vegas, and the FAA's charts are certainly usable there.

--gos

Edited by gospadin

I believe that its best to first learn to fly one aircraft, and only after you know how to fly it well (take off, navigate and landing) ... afterwards you can start to study flight rules and airport charts. It's like learning to drive: first you drive, and much later you learn the traffic regulations.

As first plane, I suggest the free DCS planes: either the Su-25T or the TF-51. On youTube there are several good tutorials .. for the Su-25T one of the best is this:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I believe that its best to first learn to fly one aircraft, and only after you know how to fly it well (take off, navigate and landing) ... afterwards you can start to study flight rules and airport charts.

I agree.

Those texts I link explain things like how an airplane turns. The knowledge is useful for all pilots, even virtual ones.

I've not been online for some time, but there are usually aerobatic servers that are open to everyone and have all aircraft. You can join one of them and talk to other pilots (new and old) and get direct help from other players. Something to try.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Hey nikitatattoo, if you're looking at taking a dip in the pool for the first time soon, I'd recommend the A-10C or the L-39C/ZA for your first DCS module. Both of these aircraft are absolutely great and handle quite well, giving you an awesome opportunity to experiment with your newfound knowledge of flight.

I've used the DCS L-39 to teach a few friends of mine about some of the basics of flight before. It's a hoot!

And of course, the free TF-51 is a surprisingly good aircraft to learn and practice these things in as well. It can be hard to deal with torque though in high performance prop planes as a new aviator. However, I'm a firm believer of jumping off the deep end and learning the hard things straight away!

Edited by Kippy

FAA documents are excellent to get professional knowledge...

Suggested documentation is indeed very good for real life to know-how, however, you mentioned you want to learn how to fly in DCS so I beg to differ here.

I would skip default (free) A/C or aircraft and focus on one of the Professional Flight Model types.

Have a look at this table and pick one with the PFM flight dynamics.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/505/

As you want to learn to fly in DCS, PFM is what you want and getting F-15C or Su-27 will help in terms of focusing on just that plus some simplified systems (including weapons) modeling that will be easy to learn for starters.

Once you feel like you can handle flight you may then move to the full fidelity which includes PFM and advanced systems modeling, such as - for example, A-10C for which there is tons of documentation, tutorials and even training campaigns.

F-15C and Su-27 are currently really cheap modules and by far more superior to freebies available with DCS download.

Paid modules also include some training missions as well or you may want to utilize Mission Editor and create a very simple mission for practicing various performance objectives.

Welcome to the community and to the DCS World!

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I am more than happy to provide personal lessons. I'm very understanding and happy to help. PM me & Join my private server

I personally recommend the a10c full sim module.

1)It's a very easy to fly plane and slower; take-off and landing requires less runway which helps when u are learning.

2)It's a full sim (study) plane but you can use cheats at first and it will act just like a FREE SIMPLE plane. As you learn more, remove the cheats.

3)You can do many types of ground attacks when you get to that stage and some minor air/air practice

4)Back to point #2, as you learn to fly, learn the real switches! (not required for as long as you wish)

Would love to help teach simple flight/navigation on any plane of course.. although I will stick with my recommendation/opinion (we all have them)

PM me here if you want or find me on steam (BadStar)

*If you do decide to take me up on my offer, im more than happy to help you set-up your controls.

*I believe I can teach you more(faster)as your wingman, than you can just reading. Reading is great and required but not as fun!!

Note: If you are interested in a Joystick (which is almost not optional in flight sims) but you don't have the money to afford. I highly highly recommend this stick. It is CHEAP and VERY GOOD for the price!! Then upgrade in the future.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879337003&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-PC+Gaming+Accessories+%28Joystick+-+Game+Pad+-+etc.%29-_-N82E16879337003&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItdn5pNnc1QIV27XACh1WDwK0EAYYByABEgKU5_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by SharkBaztard

Wow, thanks for all the input guys, I'm really happy to see such active and friendly community. I will consider all you have brought to my knowledge. I actually own a su27. I will have a closer look on what complete module to have a10c or l39, both are very tempting. Thanks for the offer sharkbaztard, but I would be a terrible wingman right now. Too much going on in real life, so I can't plan any stable online. I will learn at my own pace. Cheers!

I would skip default (free) A/C or aircraft and focus on one of the Professional Flight Model types.

I understand that the free TF-51 has a PFM ... true, it isnt armed, but as a trainer does fine and allows to try DCS without spending money.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Maybe it has, I don't know as only P-51D is listed.

Anyway, spending money on DCS is good for the sake of all of us as devs need to make a living out of it. I am strong believer that quality goes with price...

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Why I make a good pilot instructor for beginners;

*Not an advanced DCS pilot and will never expect the same

*I stick with easy terminology (partially due to not being advanced)

*I run a 95man crew mon-fri (sometimes 24hrs) - I also have a busy life.

*The newer you are too flying, the happier I am (no joke)

*Not looking to make you an expert - someone else can do that

After we set up controls and make it out to the runway, you take off down the runway under my instruction..don't pull up in time and end up in a fiery ball of flames 5ft from the ocean (Batumi airport), Don't worry! Luckily the DCS gods are good and our after life seems to come quick and we are right back where we started!

I really do enjoy flight basics the most. If you can barely get off the runway, I am in simulation heaven. If you wreck 10x, I am happy bc I know I get to continue teaching the basics!! (weird, maybe)

My favorite is touch and go practice, so fun trying to touch down a few times and having to abort but finally getting it right!

If I look over and you are in close formation with me, I will quickly realize I need someone else to teach, lol.

*I may have possibly been the cause of a mid-air collision with a student.. haha.. point being; it's all good!

To be honest, only 1 out of 5 show up on a "scheduled" training session.. sometimes I am one of those because yea, life is mean and gets in the way.

I'm laid back, to heck with schedules.. just "try and try, until we meet up and fly".. that's my extent of rhymes.

Just PM me one day if you wish to pursue it... trust me, much easier/faster to learn with someone walking you through it.

---------------------------------------

I would like to double down on my beginner/1st module opinion: A-10C

*Can be played in "game mode"

*Switch to simulation as you feel more confident

*Can be fully started with a single key press

*Can be fully started like a real a10c (when you are ready)

*Very easy to fly

*Requires very little run-way

*Western style radio's/navigation systems (easier to set-up and use)

Good luck!

Edited by SharkBaztard

Hi nikitatattoo,

If you want to really learn pure stick and rudder flight first and have some fun doing Circuits in Visual flight rules (VFR)

Then I would just recommend the Free TF-51, if you have the controls for a taildragger type aircraft?

There's a great 3 part essay about taildraggers at the top of the Spitfire section. You can checkout part one here.

What PC controls do you own nikitatattoo? You will need some rudder pedals for the taildragger type aircraft, to make them much easier to handle and keep full control. If you only have a simple joystick, than the other jets like the DCS: L-39 Albatros, are much less demanding on having a good control setup.

The A10 doesn't need a real top of the line accurate controls, it does need a lot of buttons tho, once you get into the weapon and navigation systems. Here are some control setup ideas with a basic joystick, it's how I got started. Don't let all those commands scare you off, you only need the basics to get going. Without a HOTAS control setup for the A10, you will need many modifiers to have enough buttons.

2xOqz_qZp5A

You get to see why you will need the rudder pedals in this video below, lots of feet work flying taildraggers.

I would not play DCS in game mode, you will learn bad habits. If you were to learn how to fly normally in real life, there is no game mode in any real aircraft when your learning, only easier type of aircraft to fly, if you conquer the Taildragger, you will be able to fly anything. Like I said before, DCS is a very accurate simulation, so you need a decent control setup to make the taildraggers real enjoyable.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Im definetly not interested in a game mode, so thats not a problem. however a10 does intemidate a bit, I was actually leaning toward l39 to be honest. I have a logitech extreme 3d pro flight stick,it as a rudder axis, and also just ordered twcs throttle. SharkBaztard ill keep your offer in mind definetly :)

By the way, David OC, thanks for a great link to vatsim, lots of info there

Edited by nikitatattoo

I do recommend rudder pedals at some point to get more immersion into your simming, also I highly recommend Track IR at some point or cheaper alternative.

_AO0F5sLdVM

https://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/

http://www.delanengineering.com/shop/

http://www.free-track.net/english/

http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/home/default.htm

If you are hands on, you can build

and just download the software.

The best rudder pedals for the money would be http://mfg.simundza.com/products expensive, you do get what you paid for tho when it comes to rudder pedals.

Here's a link that may scare you with a boat load more info

http://www.code7700.com/normals.htm

Code 7700 slogan (the learning never stops!) ;)

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Don't be intimidated by the a10c. The beauty of the plane is that it can be as easy and hard as you decide to make it.

Even on simulation mode you can hit a single engine start-up key..and then transition into learning switches and such later.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The L39 is simple to fly, sure.. but I think we are talking about two very different worlds of aircraft in regards to instruments and navigation. If you want something that translated to other similar western style fighter, like the f/a/18 hornet or the huey etc etc.. get the a10c.

If you are interested in the other type of instruments(what I call eastern, possibly ignorant of me) then go with the l39.

Please look into and consider what types of future craft u may wish to fly. that should be a big decision on your first learning craft or you will be learning how to operate 2 diff types of instruments/nav aids, which is a handful to do sometimes.

Note: As an example. I know how to use the nav instruments in the a10c and I know how to tune all the radio's and read the airport information. It was a good bit to learn but I am comfy with it now. I bought the huey/other western aircraft and most of it is the same, so I don't really need to learn much more in regards to dials/fm/am radios and such.. same thing with most aircraft that have this similar set-up (someone chime in with a specific name please lol)

anyway, I bought the trainer plane not realizing its use of the eastern/russian type nav/radio and I was unable to tune anything. It was back at ground zero in radio/nav aids bc they are both very diff.

Edited by SharkBaztard