Afterburner Detent

mytai01

Please add an afterburner detent in the controller setup.

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

+1 for that!

Like the adjustable one that used to be in Falcon 4.0 (well, I assume its still there lol).

Would work nicely with the 'Velcro mod' on the TM TWCS Throttle.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Indeed

Would work nicely with the 'Velcro mod' on the TM TWCS Throttle.

Sounds interesting, could you go in more detail?

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Indeed

Sounds interesting, could you go in more detail?

Basically you just get hold on some 'pile' adhesive velcro, cut some strips and stick them on the inner surfaces of the slot for the handle. The strip width determines the resistance.

Currently you need to position them so they 'align' with when the Ab activates in your aircraft of choice. The problem is this changes depending on aircraft, but is still pretty close.

If you have the friction quite loose (I do and it works nicely), then you can 'feel' the increased resistance just before AB, and the whole AB range is stiffer in movement so easier to set individual Ab stages.

Hopefully this pic link works..

http://i.imgur.com/dgcc9IN.jpg?fb

Being able to manually align the actual AB stage perfectly with your Vlecro would be very handy!

• Like 1

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's kind of funny that Thrustmaster and ED worked together on A-10C and the Warthog Controllers without even considering afterburner aircraft and how they needed to coordinate on having a method in the controller setup to match the hardware detent on the controller to software detent in game. BTW, Thrustmaster is putting out an F/A-18 stick for the Warthog and that aircraft has an afterburner. Do you think they are going to program in the controller AB detent now? Probably not!

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

The expected action is to physically remove the Warthog throttle detent part. If you want to use the A-10C with the detent part still installed then simply adjust the axis tuning such that being at the detent partial axis position results in 100% axis output.

Basically you just get hold on some 'pile' adhesive velcro, cut some strips and stick them on the inner surfaces of the slot for the handle. The strip width determines the resistance.

Currently you need to position them so they 'align' with when the Ab activates in your aircraft of choice. The problem is this changes depending on aircraft, but is still pretty close.

If you have the friction quite loose (I do and it works nicely), then you can 'feel' the increased resistance just before AB, and the whole AB range is stiffer in movement so easier to set individual Ab stages.

Hopefully this pic link works..

http://i.imgur.com/dgcc9IN.jpg?fb

Being able to manually align the actual AB stage perfectly with your Vlecro would be very handy!

Thx. Gonna give that a shot over the weekend, see how that feels.

Tired of flipping the detent piece around all the time, when jumping around in different modules.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Thx. Gonna give that a shot over the weekend, see how that feels.

Tired of flipping the detent piece around all the time, when jumping around in different modules.

Nice - yeah am not sure how it would go with the WH Throttle as never tried it when I had mine, I never had the AB detent piece turned over/enabled either.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 months later...

Just a heads-up:

It's really pretty easy to get the throttle timed with the afterburner detent of the Warthog throttle by making custom curves for the throttle axis. I do it for all of my afterburning aircraft and it works great.

Basically fly in a mission, put the throttle up to the afterburner stop, go into the control settings, axis setting for the throttle, set to "slider," set custom curve, wiggle the throttle at that afore-mentioned max dry thrust position so that the "dot" is set to where it activates, then adjust the left-most curves downward until the afterburner only activates after the throttle passes the afterburner stop, but never before. Then adjust the rest of the curve until the line is as close to straight as possible. Done!

A specific afterburner setting would be nice, but the above method really isn't that hard, and IIRC it's pretty close to the same for all aircraft.

Edited by Aries144
  • Like 1

+1

Mig21 has a trick for that by that electric switch for AB but it would be nice to have better implementation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

• 1 year later...

I specifically mean a "Falcon 4" style of setting in the game.

I use this,

https://www.shapeways.com/product/3MJPNE2SV/warthog-throttle-part-afterburner-detent?productConfiguration=63799442&etId=189194470&utm_source=automated-contact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=order-shipped&utm_content=2

and then use a curve to line the physical throttle up to the detent...

y4m79kOC0W6go6-HyjboCwrk2drrcWt3HYz2xoWbVaxSNQqj4TNLI-LvsjhN3cjk3wtoUMBwg2CXzRcDii-wrSTTPKsFCu-A1NupUESH6CvmpN7i6mHHrqKKlwypLPQsYN0ikxm1W1yO-gia6h79oVDFxZlH0r-uCvMsJ0dsTQb3Oi3oyYQfXvn7MkUmnebkHU9?width=640&height=651&cropmode=none

the black dot is at the point of the physical detent .

The saturation means I dont have to deal with the large chunk of dead space in the throttle for the f18but I can still get idle throttles on the ground

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I specifically mean a "Falcon 4" style of setting in the game.

Essentially you're asking for a joystick curve which is two lines which join at a hard angle. That seems incompatible with the current methods which all seem to be Fourier or gamma smooth functions. But with programming it can be done. I'm sure programmer likes smooth curve functions though.

Perhaps a simple improvement would be to color the axis region in tuning to show you where certain features of the output range even are.

Essentially you're asking for a joystick curve which is two lines which join at a hard angle. That seems incompatible with the current methods which all seem to be Fourier or gamma smooth functions. But with programming it can be done. I'm sure programmer likes smooth curve functions though.

Perhaps a simple improvement would be to color the axis region in tuning to show you where certain features of the output range even are.

No Falcon does not split the axis in two straight lines, it mearly changes the value at wich the afterburner engages. Lets say for sake ex. that default DCS is 80% but for your hardware specifically you need to change it to be at 85%. This could pherhaps be put in each module special options.

It's a configurable value change, that's all we are asking. DCS or each module (not sure how it actually works) have to have set a value percentage of your axis at wich you go from MIL to AB, all we want is that value to be able to be set by the user.

+1 I concur. Please add a set afterburner detent function

DCS Modules Owned:A-10C, FC3, Yak-52, F/A-18C, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-5E, M-2000C, L-39, Hawk T.1A, C-101EB/CC, MiG-15bis, MiG-21bis, BF-109K4, FW-190D9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, KA-50, F-86, DCS:CA, WWII assets, F-14A/A+/B

DCS Terrains Owned: All

PLEASE MAKE UH-60L and AH-64D!!! :pilotfly:

Yeah, that's splitting the axis into two lines. The output is fixed to lever position. By moving the AB point you're changing the ratio of input to output (line slope) before and after that point.

This.

It works quite well by setting curves, but you end up with slightly curved output.

Yeah, that's splitting the axis into two lines. The output is fixed to lever position. By moving the AB point you're changing the ratio of input to output (line slope) before and after that point.

Yes you will change the ratio of input in the AB region, but you are not spliti8ng the axis into two lines, because spliting the axis into two lines works at the level of taking input data from your joystick and scaling it. this is a diferent aproach to a similar (albeit easier to control) Result.

• 4 years later...

+1 Already should be done.

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits