which adversaries mingle with the tiger II?

WildBillKelsoe

as above. Today I try fighting two su-25s and they consistently nail my ass with their aphids. Its meant for close engagements but with which aircrafts?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

As far as I know it would be the Mig-21.

The tactic I found that works best against the Mig-21 & Su-17 is to keep my radar off, stay low to the ground, get in behind him, keep the radar off so he's not alerted to my presence, and fire one Aim-9 when I can see him relatively clearly. I then get the second Aim-9 ready in case the first misses. Usually it's a sure hit if I gaged the distance right. ;)

Edited by kelpie

Modules:

Owned:

P-51D, F/A-18C, AJS-37, NTTR, F-5E, M-2000C, Bf 109, Fw 190 D-9, F-86F, Mig-15Bis, A-10C, Combined Arms, Mi-8Mtv2, UH-1H, Black Shark 2, Mig-21Bis, FC3, F-14A/B, Mig-19, Spitfire, JF-17, Persian Gulf

Would Like to See:

Mig-29K, Su-24, Mig-25, J-8II, J-10 , Tornado

Specifications:

Windows 10 64Bit, i7-7700K 4.2Ghz, GTX 1080, 16Gb RAM, T.flight Stick X

Check Chucks Guide for the F-5E - https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2862681&postcount=1

Last section indicates the MiG-21 is the most likely adversary and provides some tactics and YT vid links. Am sure you will find them useful.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

But in all fairness, Mig-21 can and usually does nail me with their R-3R from longer distance.

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

What are you flying against? AI or multiplayer? AI is all seeing all knowing. You will have to use tactics that don't rely on hiding. Try to use the terrain as much as you can.

In multiplayer stealth and you superior missiles are quite effective especially against mig21s that have crappy visibility.

If you know your stuff the f5 can take on most opponents.

Best thing to do against Mig-21 is to lock him up with your radar as soon as you can. That way his RWR is locked up and doesn't show which side you're coming from. Also, drag the Mig-21 into a turn fight as soon as you can, they do not usually fair well in turn fights (although it is possible). Mig-15 can really turn so use the vertical. Su25 is pretty slow, keep fast and attack from high, as mentioned before.

What are you flying against? AI or multiplayer? AI is all seeing all knowing. You will have to use tactics that don't rely on hiding. Try to use the terrain as much as you can.

In multiplayer stealth and you superior missiles are quite effective especially against mig21s that have crappy visibility.

If you know your stuff the f5 can take on most opponents.

Best thing to do against Mig-21 is to lock him up with your radar as soon as you can. That way his RWR is locked up and doesn't show which side you're coming from. Also, drag the Mig-21 into a turn fight as soon as you can, they do not usually fair well in turn fights (although it is possible). Mig-15 can really turn so use the vertical. Su25 is pretty slow, keep fast and attack from high, as mentioned before.

AI.. God I'd be scared to try multiplayer unless I have an expert human wingman..

AI.. God I'd be scared to try multiplayer unless I have an expert human wingman..

This is where you are completely wrong. AI can be a nightmare to fight against since they see/know everything. This is completely unrealistic. Humans tend to make many more mistakes or can be tricked.

Of course that works both ways. A really good mig driver will give you a run for your money.

Mind you, I'm no air combat expert, but here's what I learned flying the MiG-21:

The AI is not all seeing. Its situational awareness is perhaps a little too good but it won't see what it can't see and you can sneak up on it. I did offline GCI intercepts against F-4s and F-5s and they didn't know I was there until my missiles connected. The trick is to not trigger their RWR (the "old" F-5E - not the BST F-5E3 - doesn't even have an RWR so you can paint it with radar with impunity) and to fly against the ground when in front of them, since their radars don't have lookdown capability. Attack from behind and below - they'll be easier to spot against the sky and you'll be harder to spot since they'll have their own aircraft in the way ;). Limit the use of your radar (unless it's the old F-5E you're fighting against). Either turn it on at the last moment or not at all.

The above "tactics" worked in a MiG-21 against American fighters but I don't see why they wouldn't work in reverse.

If you can't sneak up on the enemy, be prepared to dodge those missiles. Get low, break his lock. Beam the missile and launch chaff (you did remember to turn on your chaff launcher, didn't you?). You'll be at a disadvantage initially but the R-3R isn't that hard to fool. Just don't let it surprise you - if you fly into it, sure enough it'll kill you. Try to make it to the merge and regain the initiative.

Was flying low with my radar off and rwr on, found a three ship of Mig-21's. Came from behind and shot two of them down with a aim-9 right up the ass, sadly the third was able to get away with its speed. So fly low and try to visually find your targets and get close to visually ID them. Then give them a Aim-9 up the tailpipe.

I was inverted B)

I made a mission for guns only dogfighting with the F5 and I cant even beat the Fw190, after the merge he's already on my 6 after turning just 270 degrees when I have a 300knt advantage. I'm finding that the Mig21 is a better turn fighter.

I'm abysmal at dogfighting so this needs to be taken with a grain of salt