Will Persian Gulf Map include Abu Dhabi ?

SnowTiger

I see that many structures have been modeled for Dubai, but I'm wondering if this will extend to Abu Dhabi ?

And if so, I know several of the Model Contributors in Google Earth who would surely be happy to have their models included in the Strait of Hormuz.

Speaking for myself, I'd gladly donate my model of "Ferrari World" (as can be seen in GE).

Practically all models in GE have been made Optimized for the Web with as few faces (mesh) as possible. Some can still be optimized even more. Ferrari World probably cannot be optimized much more than it already has been ... but I'd give it a go "IF" DCS is interested ?

Furthermore, though it has been a while since I corresponded with the other (above mentioned) 3D Model Contributors, I will gladly reconnect with them for the purpose of this Map, again "IF" DCS "may be" interested.

All of these buildings can be imported into whatever software DCS currently uses for modeling buildings and saved with the appropriate File Extensions. They can be saved to many different file formats such as .3ds, .dae, .fbx, obj .. etc etc from within the original 3D Model Editor (Google SketchUp) to be opened in whatever software as needed.

• Like 1

SnowTiger:joystick:

My hope is that it will. Dubai may be the "New York" of the UAE, but Abu Dhabi is the capital.

The problem is one of memory and processing. It takes quite a bit of both to bring one city, especially one like Dubai, to life. I can't imagine what it'd take to bring both Abu Dhabi and Dubai to life.

I agree with the issue of memory and processing. Many generic, low poly buildings are necessary. But (I think) it's important to have landmark buildings in known places when possible.

In this case, as with many cities in the world, the 3D Modeling has already been largely done and Optimization of ALL GE Models is one of several criteria for the acceptance of those models into GE for many of the same reasons.

I certainly realize there may be many other specific criteria for DCS World structures.

I'm offering My Model just the same and I'm sure my fellow GE Modelers would be happy to see their models going to good use since GE stopped accepting "hand made" model submissions a few years ago (all new 3D buildings in GE have been or are being created using 100% automated processes/software to create them from lidar and/or laser data as well as satellite data/imagery and StreetView imagery).

I only have the one model (Ferrari World) in Abu Dhabi but in total I have 134 models in Google Earth (which reside in Google's 3D Warehouse).

I don't want anything for the use of my model.

SnowTiger:joystick:

Likely Abu Dhabi will be included as it is just northwest of Al Dhafra AB, one of the major Coalition bases in the Middle East.

Good point. It's been used extensively by the Coalition in the campaign against ISIL, Operation Inherent Resolve. It's also going to gain more significance, especially if the Arab Gulf states' row with Qatar persists and puts the future of Al Udeid in jeopardy.