Disk Scratched

bramski

Hi,

I recently uninstalled my lockon installation after messing about with various addons and botched my setup a little. I had been playing Flaming cliffs and the 1.02 before that never needed the disk so it's been away in the box for a while.

I decided to reinstall fresh tonight and there was a dirty great scratch near the end of the disk and now I can't reinstall, I just get an error loading the Denmark.ogg file and it dumps the whole installation after. To make things worse I just went out and bought a nice new x52 which is sitting idle now until I work out what I can do.

Any suggestions?

Guest IguanaKing

Try some glass cleaner and a paper towel. Wipe in gentle motions, in straight lines from the center of the disc. Don't wipe in circles, and don't wipe along the circular path around the disc. That's about all I can suggest to get you up and running again.

Guest IguanaKing

Well...if the data side is undamaged, it looks like you have some other problem. Do you have another drive in the machine you can try?

Guest IguanaKing

How about running an easily-available cleaning disk in that drive? Its worth a shot. What type of drive is it, BTW? Is it a CD, DVD, R, RW?

I'll pop into town and grab it if it's available. I know it's not the drive as it's running other disks no problem, plus I tried to copy the disk to see if I could get past the bit where it sticks but it dies at 89% everytime.

I tried a system restore and I got my old Lomac installation back but now it just gives me application errors when I try and run it. my pwn bloody fault, trust me to kill my instllation on the day I get my new flight stick.

:mad:

thanks for the help anyways :thumbup:

Guest IguanaKing

That doesn't necessarily mean the disk itself is bad. If the other one (I won't mention the C word, since its actually illegal ;) ) doesn't work either, it could just mean the same sector has a piece of schmutz in the optical path. You could run other disks all day, but if they don't use that same sector, you'll never see the problem. So, your single drive is a burner. Have you tried flashing the firmware on it with the latest version from its manufacturer?

Just inspected it to see if cleaning it would help but it's been scratched topside, the data side is totally smooth but the reflective bit on the top has been scratched :(

Err, I think you've got your terminology mixed up. The reflective top layer (which has the LOFC label on the exposed side) is the data side, the plastic bottom side is there for refraction purposes (as a light path for the laser). If the reflective/label side does indeed have a scratch, you're out of luck - you'll need a new disc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Real men fly ground attack :pilotfly: where EVERYTHING wants a piece of you :D

......and to place LOFC disk inside permanently...

Due to errant StarForce issues.. this is not a good idea.

Just install, apply the 1.12 update, then the patch from starforce if needed (fixes multicore CPU issue, brought about by the 1.12 patch for some PC's.).

Now you don't have to put the disk in but once every 7 days.

Thanks,

Brett

Guest thevinmanfxst
Just inspected it to see if cleaning it would help but it's been scratched topside, the data side is totally smooth but the reflective bit on the top has been scratched :(

Hi guys (I'm new here) Just browsing and saw your issue...

If I understand correctly, the scratch is on the "top" of the disk. If so, you are, unfortunatly, toasted...

The reflective material that the drive reads its actually part of the "top". The bottom of the disk is just clear plastic. The laser is reading "up" through the clear material, to the underside of that layer...the data on that film.

As I understand it, scratching the top of a disc is far worse becuase if the scratch is deep enough, you destroy the film the data is on. Conversly, a scratch on the bottom of the disk is just on that transparent disk material...it blurs the laser, but can sometimes be "buffed" out.

I found the best thing that I did, was use Nero to create an image, I use Daemon Tools to mount the image.

And like said before, the top side scratch is the worst. I never realized this, until one day I was trying to write on a DVD I burned, didnt have a felt tip so used a regular pen, and of course it scratches it......... hosed.

I am not sure ED's policy, but if you already own the game, just download it from bit torrent? You have a legal right to have a backup copy, so as long as you keep the original CD around, I dont see it would be a problem?