TAC24 - CSAR Night

jed40

I can't keep my wingmen at low altitude. As soon as I send them to my SPI to shoot an enemy they climb at level 130 and are shoot down by SA8... Is it a possibility to keep them low during attacking target. There are so many target and I can't do it alone... After many try it's always same :-( Alone and the downed pilot is catch by enemy forces.

Thks for any tip...:cry:

We have had some success tasking one of the wingman to engage Air Defenses.

The other option is to keep them out of the AO (hold them at a point far enough away) until you take out the SA-8s from a low altitude yourself.

Normally you would call in a SEAD strike but it is possible for you to lock them up on the TGP (once found) and take them out with Mavs.

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

With the SA-8s out the sky is quieter ;-) but my wingmen seems to be stupid they take a lot of time to engage my spi's targets, and sometimes they crach on the ground... I don't understand why they are like this.:cry: After it's become hard to achieve the mission alone because of the huge q'ty of targets on the zone...

The AI can sometimes do silly things though ED is working to improve it.

However, you only have to eliminate targets near the pick-up zone or threatening (heading to) the pickup zone.

I recommend scanning the area and then check the roadways heading to the zone. Once you think it's safe then you can send in the choppers for the pickup.

After so many attempts, I can't succeed this mission... I destroy all the potential threats (Trucks, AM, AAA, T55, BMP...) around the downed pilot even quite far away. I can't be in contact with him to validate the different codes. If I send the UH-60's on zone, as soon as they touch the ground, 2 groups of enemies appear and shoot them down immediately... During the TAC23, I got a call from the down pilot for the validation, but not here... If I take a look to my Tacview datas, no enemy around... So I don't understand what I miss or forget :(

Those units attack the choppers if you don't authenticate the downed pilot. This is similar to if he was compromised and the enemy setup a trap.

Switch your radio to GUARD 243.00 Mhz once you hear the pilot has been shot down and authenticate him using the F10 menus when you hear he is at ARCO.

If all the enemy close to the LZ are destroyed and you completed the authentication then it will be safe to move the choppers in.

Same problem. I switched to guard and left it there for the rest of the mission. Never got the opportunity to communicate with the down pilot again. After 5 times I ended up skipping the mission

Check out my 'real world'

video series

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Those units attack the choppers if you don't authenticate the downed pilot. This is similar to if he was compromised and the enemy setup a trap.

Switch your radio to GUARD 243.00 Mhz once you hear the pilot has been shot down and authenticate him using the F10 menus when you hear he is at ARCO.

If all the enemy close to the LZ are destroyed and you completed the authentication then it will be safe to move the choppers in.

Hi,

Thx for the reply.

This is what I understood concerning the 2 units appearing suddenly. I keep my radio on Guard always, ecept to send order to my wingmen. I think I forget threats who are on the other side (East) of the hill, but who normally will not not detect the UH60 on approach. I will try again and take care to clean the area :smilewink:

This is my last try. Same problem. The area is clear. Only 3xT55 at 3 km in the other side of the hill. For me no potential threat on LZ. My radio is on Guard Ch and I do not receive call from ARCO :-(((

TACVIEW_TAC24.jpg

We did a test this morning and it appears to be a game engine bug likely introduced in a recent patch update.

The downed aircrew don't make it to the LZ. They stop about half way to the waypoint. It certainly worked before in our testing so we can only assume something in the AI logic changed recently to cause the pilot not to make it all the way to the LZ waypoint.

We think we can provide a workaround by spawning the downed pilot directly in the LZ which should then cause the comms triggers to fire and the mission to play as it was designed.

We haven't tested TAC25 yet but we suspect it may have the same problem and TAC23 as well since it has similar logic.

It's frustrating when AI logic changes with each update but we will try and make the missions more robust to AI changes.

We did a test this morning and it appears to be a game engine bug likely introduced in a recent patch update.

The downed aircrew don't make it to the LZ. They stop about half way to the waypoint. It certainly worked before in our testing so we can only assume something in the AI logic changed recently to cause the pilot not to make it all the way to the LZ waypoint.

We think we can provide a workaround by spawning the downed pilot directly in the LZ which should then cause the comms triggers to fire and the mission to play as it was designed.

We haven't tested TAC25 yet but we suspect it may have the same problem and TAC23 as well since it has similar logic.

It's frustrating when AI logic changes with each update but we will try and make the missions more robust to AI changes.

Ok good information. I will stop trying and wait for the next update ;).

FYI CSAR Day - TAC23 was ok for me also.

Thanks again for your prompt support. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Fix has been developed and tested and submitted to ED for inclusion in the next 1.5 update.

The downed pilot AI would still stop about half way to the end waypoint but we increased the LZ zone trigger to account for it so that seemed to work.

We had forgotten how much fun it was playing these missions so thanks for reporting the issue - it was a blast retesting the fixes!

• 6 months later...

Hi.

I tried this mission a lot of times. Now I manage to take out the Osa, the artillery and a lot of 3 members teams near ARCO, but somehow i receive the 'you failed to protect the pilot' message. When I left the mission i can't see who kill the pilot. Can it be a bug? I install the 2.5 version last friday and this is the first mission i fly in this version.

Thanks.

Firma-Ala12-RV3.jpg

What does the mission log say?

If the downed pilot is killed you should see a log reference indicating so.

I believe the night version has a few other enemy units compared to the day version so check the area closely but also listen to Chevy as they will call out threats if they see any.

Well.

I did it!

It was such a challenge and so much fun to do this. I have to congratulate the team of Maple Flag and specially Sabre for doing those amazing campaigns.

Please continue. Please tell me you are preparing something for the Hornet, because i'm going to switch when it arrives.

Thanks!

Firma-Ala12-RV3.jpg

• 2 years later...

I've been attempting TAC24 for the last few days but have some concerns regarding the sequence of engaging SAMS and authenticating the downed pilot. If I take out the 3 vehicle SAM setup close to ARCO center point prior to being told by Uzi to clear the area of SAMS the authentication process doesn't seem to trigger. If I wait for Uzi to instruct SAM clearance, followed by taking out the before mentioned SAM site, the authentication process is launched. Unfortunately, by the time he is authenticated there is a 3 vehicle squad (truck, ZSU and IFV) almost on top of him and the virtual pilot is captured. I know I need to be quick about directing and reacting but this seems a bit over the top. What am I missing (because I know it's me!). Thanks!

Radial Madness

You can do the authentication once the pilot reaches the pickup-point but you don't have to authenticate him right away. You can do that after the threats are eliminated.

Once you know the pilot has been downed you can order your wingmen to start engaging targets.

Monitor the roadways to the pickup area and eliminate any threats while the downed pilot is proceeding to the pickup point.

We found switching back and forth on the radio (between wingmen and the downed pilot) was a good way to see if he was still on the move while maintaining SA on your wingmen attacks. Then you can clean up any targets the wingmen didn't get.

Once you are confident all the targets are eliminated, then do the authentication and if he passes then send in the choppers.

Also you can use the practice mission to get a feel for the mission flow to help you pass the qual mission.

Hopefully these tips can help you out.

Hi Sabre,

The Mission Planner map shows 3 SA9 emplacements posing danger to the CSAR choppers. I have attached a picture with each SA9 site labeled. I can find site 1 quite quickly but 2 and 3 which appear to be southeast of ARCO don't seem to exist and, in fact are not shown as suspected SAM sites in the A-10C - TAC24 Mission Data.pdf map. Since I can remove SA9 site 1 quickly it has become perplexing that the remaining SA9 sites seem MIA. Are the two maps at odds or am I mistaken? Thanks for any help!

923807461_TAC24MissionMap.thumb.jpg.7ea20c7baa09df4661e3cf4acf74ae6d.jpg

Radial Madness