Do you VR users play DCS with oculus rift play with steamVR or oculus home on? Or bot

hannibal

If a game supports the Oculus runtime, I always choose to run it through Oculus rather than Steam VR.

I have one I really like that only supports open vr ( Steam VR ) currently , that is the only one I run with Steam VR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'm reading on Reddit that having both steamVR and oculus home puts a major performance hit on the PC..

You can't run Steam VR with Rift without running Oculus Home as far I know. Okay the runtime might be enough but at least on me the Oculus Home launch always as well.

So thanks for the link, need to get it done so...

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

You can't run Steam VR with Rift without running Oculus Home as far I know. Okay the runtime might be enough but at least on me the Oculus Home launch always as well.

So thanks for the link, need to get it done so...

Yes one can run Steam VR without Oculus Home running. Just set the Oculus Client.exe to run as administrator and it will not auto launch, only when you manually launch it.

However one caveat, if you use Oculus Tray Tool for VR settings they will not apply if Oculus Home is not running.

I have tested running my one Steam VR game both with Oculus Home running and without, and I do not visibly see any performance difference between the two. So I just have Oculus Home running as well since I use the Oculus Tray Tool for some VR settings.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I don't use Oculus Home, and no Steam VR either since I have the proper version of DCS ;-)

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

You can set oculus home to require admin permission to run, that will keep it from launching whenever using steamVR or DCS stand alone. You can still launch manually so long as you are admin. Link to post on OR forums explaining how: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/53317/how-to-prevent-home-from-starting-when-playing-steam-games

It's in the first post.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

• 3 months later...
You can set oculus home to require admin permission to run, that will keep it from launching whenever using steamVR or DCS stand alone. You can still launch manually so long as you are admin. Link to post on OR forums explaining how: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/53317/how-to-prevent-home-from-starting-when-playing-steam-games

It's in the first post.

exactly what I've been doing now too...

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Looks like Oculus Home has stopped self starting now when running DCS. Didn't do anything different, perhaps the latest DCS patches changed something. Oh well, I'm sure it saves a few FPS

Really? Does on mine - or did 2 days ago, anyway. I'll check and if different, see you in a minute or two :)

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Really? Does on mine - or did 2 days ago, anyway. I'll check and if different, see you in a minute or two :)

Still auto-starts on mine (DCS Standalone) as of last night at 11pm.

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

Not sure of the difference then. All I do is double click my DCS shortcut (1.5 or 2.2) and my rift starts by itself and no OH. Quit DCS and the rift turns itself off. I'll check tonight if I have it set to run as administrator via properties.

Not sure of the difference then. All I do is double click my DCS shortcut (1.5 or 2.2) and my rift starts by itself and no OH. Quit DCS and the rift turns itself off. I'll check tonight if I have it set to run as administrator via properties.

I would just about guarantee you do have it set to run as admin.

One can certainly run DCS through Oculus without Home running by doing it this way, however if use Oculus Tray Tool for settings then they will not be applied.

Don B

Interesting, I'll have to give this a try tonight when I get home. As far as I know OH always starts for me but I do use the tray tool.

Edit: I just rdp'd home and set it to run as admin. Started DCS and it did not open OH. Nice find guys !!

Does it have much of a performance impact?

Edited by Kayos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Interesting, I'll have to give this a try tonight when I get home. As far as I know OH always starts for me but I do use the tray tool.

Edit: I just rdp'd home and set it to run as admin. Started DCS and it did not open OH. Nice find guys !!

Does it have much of a performance impact?

I have never been able to see much of a difference performance wise with Home running versus not.

Don B

A little late, but did a reinstall of Oculus last night to fix a mic problem. forgot to set OH as administrator and fired up DCS and OH opened. Closed, set it to administrator and opened DCS again and OH did not open.

So as the above post, setting to administrator prevents auto-start :)

Yes one can run Steam VR without Oculus Home running. Just set the Oculus Client.exe to run as administrator and it will not auto launch, only when you manually launch it.

However one caveat, if you use Oculus Tray Tool for VR settings they will not apply if Oculus Home is not running.

I have tested running my one Steam VR game both with Oculus Home running and without, and I do not visibly see any performance difference between the two. So I just have Oculus Home running as well since I use the Oculus Tray Tool for some VR settings.

really?! I didn't realize this, but now that I think about it...it makes sense. I need to do some testing together to see how I want to run things.

Edited by BIGNEWY
1.1 profanity

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

What do you think about having DCS running in VR and on the monitor at the same time? Would this be taxing the graphics card at all? And is there any resolution conflicts? Sorry, I'm not all that tech savy, so maybe a stupid question.

The desktop mirror does not consume any noticeable resources. Presenting the scene to a window, or the device is probably the least amount of time spent in the render loop.

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

• 1 month later...

I use oculus home never run through steamvr I wouldn’t use oculus home if I did have to butboth xp11 and both dcses open oculus home on startup. I’m not sure about xp11.2.5 since I’ve only ran it once or twice but fairly sure it opens oculus home once you don the HMD. IT HAS A SENSOR.:thumbup:

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.