Tanker for the F-18 ?

Shadow KT

As I was practicing some A2A refueling, and complaining how much harder a boom vs a basket is, it clicked me. Isn't the F-18 only a basket refueling capable ?How are we going to refuel it ? Are we going to have to ask the russkies to lend us a tanker ? :D

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will see what happens ^.^ Maybe ED has a surprise for us

The surprise will be that you need to do a great job of fuel management! More than likely, your carrier will have collided with a civilian cargo ship and sunk before you get back. So, have that divert as a waypoint!

Edited by mytai01

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

715807.jpg

here is what we need folks, I have actually seen this very thing where I live (2 F-18s refueling off a KC-130) the navy flies training right over my house as i'm near NAS Pax River. These guys where flying really low and very slow when they were doing this training.

(note I didn't take this picture, I just searched the web for something similar to what I saw)

Apparently, the KC-130 can air refuel quite a bit of probe aircraft... F-14, AV-8B, CH-53, A-6, Mig-29... Etc, you name it... Now the only thing is, it is not launched from a carrier obviously but rather from a ground base.

152_KJ_tanking.jpg

here is a web article on the USMC KC-130J from the commanding officer of one of the squadrons.

http://www.sldinfo.com/the-kc-130j-and-usmc-operations-the-maturing-of-the-osprey-as-a-partner-for-change/

so, food for thought...

We don't need any new aircraft. The KC-135 had a basket adapter.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We don't need any new aircraft. The KC-135 had a basket adapter.

It's not implemented in DCS. Yet(?)

5e Escadre Virtuelle du Canada / 5 Virtual Wing of Canada

Intel i9-9900KF - 8 Cores/16 Threads - 3,6/5,0GHZ / 48GB RAM / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD / Crucial P5 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Internal SSD / WD Gold 2TB Enterprise Class HDD / NVIDIA RTX 3090 / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Warthog / F/A-18C Hornet HOTAS ADD-ON Grip / WINWING Super Taurus Throttle / Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals / Win 10 Pro

Modules owned: P-51D, F-86F, A-10C, M-2000C, F-5E, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-16C

Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Syria.

I can attest to the destruction of the Iron Maiden. Back in 01, the airforce ripped so many of our probes off, the supply system ran out. We had to swap probes from down jets, to up jets, just to make the flight schedule. It's another reason you'll see pictures of Hornets, with the probe fairing removed. Less chance of it getting knocked off, and sucked down an intake if you just take it off.

I like the idea of an adapter for the KC-135, but I think DCS needs the KC-130 also. Imagine a KC-130 with Marine Harrier on one wing, and a Marine Hornet on the other.

Edited by sideshow

It's not implemented in DCS. Yet(?)
Obviously. Never did I say that the KC-135 in DCS has this. I said the real thing has this option.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]