Throttle Design in 3DS MAX, Help needed

Lynx_132a1

So, we have been making a throttle grip and we have some laser scans of the part we want to make but unfortunately some areas of the scan were distorted and we need some help on fixing them.

I am attaching a screenshot of the distorted areas. I made some fixing on them by making the object an editable poly and using the "Cap hole" modifier. My question is, after i used the cap hole, most of the open (unconnected) areas are filled including screw holes and such (screw holes are not a problem we can easily open them) but my question is are the filled areas solid? (I mean filled with material too) because if they are hollow after this modification on the object the printing would be hollow either which will cause strenght issues. So to visualise this the attachment marked with red "one" is the scan of the object without any modifications on it and the one with red "two" is the state of the object after modification, so will the filled and closed gaps be hollow when we print it?

1.jpg.ce601dcf71531e7c6895c26902dfad20.jpg

2.png.e6b4a6a974481b0a86ad35c88e39568a.png

My experience with 3ds max is you never will get geometry like that working properly, I would just remodel it all with subdivision modeling, using the scan as a transparent overlay..

If you really want to, use the select border tool to mark the open edges and use the cap poly function - it should only cap the selected area.

As for solid or hollow - it's just flat geometry in 3ds max - you need to use AutoCad to define such things. I have no experience in 3d printing tho.