DAWS Package for DCS World - discussion and bug report

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well,

I'm not going to restart DAWS as a project itself but it's free to be updated by anyone. Given that... I'm slowly working on a side things that might work in a similar way in the long term.

In the meantime, if you exactly point to the current bugs with tracks, logs & attached miz file as an example I will try to debug as much as possibile the current release (no promise on the date, anyway)

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

• 1 month later...

Recently revisited DAWS, in case I could work out some of the moose issues that always plagued this. I noticed a small hidden error that gave me a clue.

2019-01-13 20:00:47.060 ERROR   Lua::Config: load error Scripts/MissionScripting.lua:[string "helo=SPAWN:New("helo"):InitLimit(2,0):SpawnScheduled(300, .7)..."]:1: attempt to index global 'SPAWN' (a nil value).

So one might casually look at this and think, so you didn't load MOOSE in time for the script, right?

Except for one small detail, this is a line from the file that hasn't even run yet. IT'S YET TO RUN ... pause and let that one sink in...

My Moose script is being read BEFORE mission start. And it seems to be via the DAWS Hook, because that's all that could do it. I think it's pulling everything into the server environment.

So I think I've worked out the (2?) year mystery with moose not working. maybe. Maybe not but i'm sure this hasn't been noticed before.

I'm going to try to ram moose into a hook pre mission and see if I can intercept the timing issue, because that is what this seems to be.

I'm not holding out too much hope unless Chromium can comment. I may be talking out of my arse, but this is a strong indicator of a possible conflict that would hurt things.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I'm not holding out too much hope unless Chromium can comment. I may be talking out of my arse, but this is a strong indicator of a possible conflict that would hurt things.

DAWS doesn't exist officially anymore. BUT... at any mission start, it overwrite original missionscritping.lua with my personal one. everytime. and it does place back the one it founds into the folder at any mission end. that might explain this...

last DAWS release was wortking into the SSE environment if I remember correctly.

ChromiumDis.png

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

Well you would be surprised that people still want the dream :)

The weird thing was that the mission script files (the ones called in the miz file) were read and processed BEFORE the mission started, which lead to a bunch of errors when it didn't know what a SPAWN was (because it's due to be defined on the mission start). I thought I would give it another go, withotu scripting I don't see any issues with DAWS at all, just this strange moose conflict we never found. Sorry to hear you didn't want to carry on, but my best regards for the journey anyway, I got some good missions with it nonetheless. Stay in touch!

DAWS doesn't exist officially anymore. BUT... at any mission start, it overwrite original missionscritping.lua with my personal one. everytime. and it does place back the one it founds into the folder at any mission end. that might explain this...

last DAWS release was wortking into the SSE environment if I remember correctly.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

That's correct.

I don't have time to try and fix the bugs affecting the DAWS Package, unfortunately. Mostly I'm tending to my server. I understand your reasons for not supporting the mod any more. Are you working on an alternative? A new mod? Something totally different?

Cheers!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

I don't have much spare time. I'm looking for something differnent, but nothing that will replace DAWS itself as a mod. So no, don't expect a new version of DAWS in the coming months (or years). If I will be able to complete something, it won't be customizable or usable by mission designers.

ChromiumDis.png

• 1 month later...
moose way to complicated daws works fine for us on 2.5 onwards just my input :)

I am interesting in to use a DAWS alternative with my Squadron members to organize a kind of dynamic campaign PvP. What do you mean by "moose way to complicated daws works fine....."

My Hardware: ROG Strix X570-F Gaming - AMD 5600X @ 4.7 ghz - G.SKILL TRIDENT 32GB DDR4 3200 (14-14-14-34 CL) - GigaByte 3080ti OC 12gb - Corsair MP600 Force 1TB - 2 x EVO Nvme 500GB - Virpil Warbird Base T-50CM2 and TM Throttle + Trackhat + G25 + AOC AG271QG 27"

My Modules: JF-17, F-16C, AV-8N/A, F-18C, ASJ37, MiG-15Bis, MiG-21Bis, Fw-190D, Bf-109K, P-51D, F-86F, Ka-50 III, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, NS430, FC3, A-10C, Mirage 2000C, L-39, F-5E-3, SA342, Spitfire, AH-64, Mirage F-1CE.

My Maps: Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, South Atlantic.

• 4 weeks later...
moose way to complicated daws works fine for us on 2.5 onwards just my input :)

Could help us a bit more?

Cheers

My Hardware: ROG Strix X570-F Gaming - AMD 5600X @ 4.7 ghz - G.SKILL TRIDENT 32GB DDR4 3200 (14-14-14-34 CL) - GigaByte 3080ti OC 12gb - Corsair MP600 Force 1TB - 2 x EVO Nvme 500GB - Virpil Warbird Base T-50CM2 and TM Throttle + Trackhat + G25 + AOC AG271QG 27"

My Modules: JF-17, F-16C, AV-8N/A, F-18C, ASJ37, MiG-15Bis, MiG-21Bis, Fw-190D, Bf-109K, P-51D, F-86F, Ka-50 III, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, NS430, FC3, A-10C, Mirage 2000C, L-39, F-5E-3, SA342, Spitfire, AH-64, Mirage F-1CE.

• 3 months later...

Guys, does it works?

May work, but not as intended, not whitout bugs (check DAWS package zip)

I'm (was?) working on a much more reliable version called DSMC, whitout user interface (by choice) but with much less flaws.... but I'm really busy at work this year, so it's nearly impossibile that I could do better.

I attach the state of the art... to use it, you only need to have the "DSMC" tag in the mission file name. It doesn't need to edit missionscripting.lua anymore, no more UAC disabling in windows, no more removing writing permissions... etc.

It will track warehouses also... but surely has bugs somewhere. If someone want to improve ad do something starting from this, it might be much better to start from DSMC and debug it.

DAWS_Package_2.zip

DSMC_2019.05.17.zip

ChromiumDis.png

Many Thanx mate for you effort. I will try it.

Thanks you all for the constant support.

ChromiumDis.png

seems to be working

points to note in offline mode single player i ran a map saved it successfully three times and all the troops where where they stopped before saving even the two infantry aa units i picked u from a pickzone (i use mist and ctld)

however later opened the mission builder it would not save as a new name

BUT on multiplayer it did

two tests in multiplayer

flew around a bit while tanks moved saved it , all units where where they where wheni saved it

second time round i wanted to see if it also saved spawned and or generated units form pickzone,,,it worked perfectly HOWEVER POINT TO NOTE

FOR TO USE IT IN MULTIPLAYER MODE YOU MUST DO THIS do a standard daws save at a predetermined time of your choosing ( i chose 1 hour) close server . open mission builder , open the saved daws mission and save as a new name , close it close game delete daws auto save and the saved daws mission . run game load multiplayer and load your new named mission fly again for predetermined time of your choosing before saving

the reason for this is for some reason in multiplayer it will only save ONCE , subsiquent saves dont save so you haved to use the above process if you intend to use maps where it all starts from a saved point so to recap

1 fly your map for an ammount of time of your choosing then do a daws save

2 close server open daws_savedmission_1 in mission builder and save it as a different name

3 close game and delete daws autosaved missin and daws_savedmission_1

4 start game and run multiplayer withthe map of the new name

5 repetat process to continue your campaign

this is the only thing i have found to work thus far

for my squadron its fine as we play campaign only once a week on sundays so dont need a automqted rolling campaign and the process i mentioned takes less than 5 mins so its a minimum of interuption of the days flying

hope this helps matye and to you chromium i hope it helps you to work out a fix for the error i mentioned ( only saves once in multiplayer. and wont save as a new name inf used in single player)

seems to be working

points to note in offline mode single player i ran a map saved it successfully three times and all the troops where where they stopped before saving even the two infantry aa units i picked u from a pickzone (i use mist and ctld)

however later opened the mission builder it would not save as a new name

BUT on multiplayer it did

two tests in multiplayer

flew around a bit while tanks moved saved it , all units where where they where wheni saved it

second time round i wanted to see if it also saved spawned and or generated units form pickzone,,,it worked perfectly HOWEVER POINT TO NOTE

FOR TO USE IT IN MULTIPLAYER MODE YOU MUST DO THIS do a standard daws save at a predetermined time of your choosing ( i chose 1 hour) close server . open mission builder , open the saved daws mission and save as a new name , close it close game delete daws auto save and the saved daws mission . run game load multiplayer and load your new named mission fly again for predetermined time of your choosing before saving

the reason for this is for some reason in multiplayer it will only save ONCE , subsiquent saves dont save so you haved to use the above process if you intend to use maps where it all starts from a saved point so to recap

1 fly your map for an ammount of time of your choosing then do a daws save

2 close server open daws_savedmission_1 in mission builder and save it as a different name

3 close game and delete daws autosaved missin and daws_savedmission_1

4 start game and run multiplayer withthe map of the new name

5 repetat process to continue your campaign

this is the only thing i have found to work thus far

for my squadron its fine as we play campaign only once a week on sundays so dont need a automqted rolling campaign and the process i mentioned takes less than 5 mins so its a minimum of interuption of the days flying

hope this helps matye and to you chromium i hope it helps you to work out a fix for the error i mentioned ( only saves once in multiplayer. and wont save as a new name inf used in single player)

all those mess seems due to writing permission. As said, daws is discontinued and sobstituted by DSMC. Please check this it does the same error.

ChromiumDis.png

Noone did... but it's the second attachment to my previous post (#214)

remove DAWS and install that in saved games folder (you can use JGSME or similar). As said, no options menù anymore... it's much "simplier", only code. A test mission is included.

PS in single player mode, when you save the mission it will exit also. In multy, it will save and go on as DAWS did.

ChromiumDis.png

one or the other, not both together.

DSMC is the uncomplete evolution of DAWS. DAWS is "complete", but may be bugged due to DCS updates and it has his well known flaws about writing permissions, missionscripting.lua overwriting, etc etc.

If you understand lua and want to do something, DSMC is what you want to look at.

Edited by chromium

ChromiumDis.png

ok need more info i put it in then activated it then ran a mission DSMC1 moved a few units

then after 20 m isn stopped server went to mission builder only mision i saw was mine dsmc1 and units where back where they started i could not see anothe rmission with dsmc inthe name so im lost do i need to activate a trigger do script file or something?

so i put your test missionin my saved games thig and thenrun the game it does not show up in missionbuilder

probably the mission itself is not up to date... or you're in caucasus while the mission is in PG scenery.

PS:

in single player you HAVE to save manually, F10 -> end mission. Else it won't save.

sorry but as unfinished, no manual is available.

ChromiumDis.png