Fenrir Flies a Spitfire IX

Back in April I got the chance to fulfil a lifelong dream and fortuitously the operators at Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar provided a GoPro to record it for posterity. I thought you ladies and gents of ED forums might appreciate seeing it:

Its unedited so be warned there's not a huge amount of spectacle - no Dunkirk style cinematography here lads! - but points to note are the Startup @ 00:38 followed by Takeoff @ 6:00; Don (the pilot) waving is hands in the front canopy @ 10:02 to indicate that yes, indeedy, Fenrir is flying the plane (gulp!) and some lovely sun gilded wings as we break out into clearer skies at 10:45. Steep turn over Leeds Castle @15:45 was flown by Don but as we steadied on a westward course he gave the airplane back. Flying over Brands Hatch motor racing circuit @21:21 when Don again takes control (wish he'd let me fly the fun manoeuvres!) @21:40 to perform a Victory roll! Then back home for tea and medals.

Many thanks again to the wonderful people at Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar, including my pilot Don Sigourney and James the young lad who so thoroughly and excellently briefed me for emergency exit procedures and got me tucked in! If you're in the market to indulge in such an opportunity, I can't recommended the Heritage Hangar enough.

Hope you enjoy watching it even half as much as I did being in it!

• Like 2

:thumbup: Awesome experience. I've done the same thing with a Yak 52 I find there are just somethings about it that just don't seem to be able to be articulated. ;)

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Really enjoyed that!

Many thanks for letting us ride along with you.

He didn't really need to ask you to smile at the end eh? What a joyful expression!

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

Good on you Fenrir, thanks for posting it up.

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

Amazing!

So with first hand knowledge, how loud is Merlin's roar? :)

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Amazing!

So with first hand knowledge, how loud is Merlin's roar? :)

It goes to 11!

Let's just put it this way - despite me knowing beforehand it was going to be significant levels of sound I still muttered a small gasp! Nothing quite prepares you, not just for the noise level but the entire nigh overwhelming blast of sensory input. Sound, vibration, acceleration, my adrenaline was maxed out and I went from excited but analytical (I had planned to watch the rudder input, boost settings etc for comparison) to a state of sensory overload and internally giggling like a little boy. Not a chance of paying any attention to the details I had so scientifically planned to monitor! It was the very essence of awe inspiring.

Pretty cool! How did it feel compared to the DCS version?

Different. I use a MS FFB stick and the airload in the real deal is significant compared to the forces generated by the computer joystick. My first course change was "ok, need more muscle here!" The feel is different also, in both pitch and roll. There's a lot more damping in the real deal. The stick geometry is completely different. You move the real item further using more muscle to do so - even coming from real gliders it was noticeably heavier.

It did *seem* more stable; turbulence wasn't bad by any means but there were some small bumps and either the plane corrected itself or I did so subconsciously - more likely the first, but this could well be related to the greater damping on the real deal, and the more generous control geometry to play with.

Pitch was stable, no divergence at all, no fighting to maintain attitude, despite being a twin pit which are by dint of the second hole less stable than the single seaters. It was sensitive but again the airload balanced so well with it that with fingertips was all that were needed. I'm sure if I had put some more muscle in then things would have happened very quickly but it was a delight.

It's hard to compare the two. I'd need a full scale stick fully FFB enabled with enough oomph to simulate the airloads on the surfaces to do a direct comparison justice and at the moment I don't have the £6K required to even come close. I blew a good portion of that on a flight in a Spitfire for some silly reason...! ;)

Edited by DD_Fenrir

Very good and my feelings too. I've done the same as you, but in a P-51 a few times and got the same impression. Our virtual sticks are way too short and easy to move. Probably why it's so easy to over control the planes in DCS and be so quick to blame the FM.

Thanks for the info. You sure looked like you had fun. :)

Buzz

I wonder what was your perception of power changes / torque effects infight. Is it noticeable specially at lower speeds ?

How about the pitching down tendency due to flap deployment ?

I was not flying the aircraft when significant power changes or flap deployment occurred so am unable to comment, other than I noticed very little in this regard as I suspect that Don the pilot, having so much stick time in the Spit, corrective actions on his part are innate.

I can say that gear down produced no noticeable deceleration or significant vibration; flaps down however and I really felt pushed against the straps as she slowed!

Thx again Fenrir,

I will only add that, indeed, this DCS Spitfire Mark IX must be unique.

I guess I will never be able to get the chance to fly in a real Spitfire, but it's good to know that this virtual world that attractcs me so much provides, thx to DCS, the closest we can get to reality :-)

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Wait, where's the wing-dip on takeoff? LOL :D

Despite being machines of war, i can't help but imagine the pilots who handled these birds were thinking "THIS IS SO MUCH FUN!" in the back of their minds.

It's really nice seeing people live life to the fullest- and have the heart to share their experience with like-minded folks.

Thanks Fenrir, i really enjoyed it! :thumbup:

Cheers