Zoom Out

Joni

Is there any way to disable the zoom out action at the start of each mission? Its the most annoying thing Ive ever seen.

Thanks!

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

@Esac LOL

I think I read this is zoom-out at the beginning is something to do with TiR but I'm not sure about that. In any case, it only takes a couple seconds. Providing you have a zoom in/out/reset function on your Hotas Stick, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

As far as I know, there is NO WAY to avoid this issue.

SnowTiger:joystick:

It happens regardless of TIR. Too bad there is no fix :(

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

This is probably the seventeenth time this issue is brought up. I would very much like to se it gone as it has no use and annoys a lot of users. "deal with it" doesn't make it any less annoying.

In fact on several instant action WVR scenarios I lose precious 2 seconds because of this by having to wait for the zoom to start so I can set it to whatever I feel comfortable with.

I've said it earlier and I say it again: remove this "feature" and allow users to set their initial FOV via options so everyone starts with the exact FOV they prefer from the getgo.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

tap the zoom in or out button briefly and it will stop.

Ive been doing that since lomac, I was asking if it can be disabled...

You can disable it and make it be just a brief moment when you can't operate your zoom slider axis. It gives you a small anxiety attack every time :)

You need to set your default FOV and maximum FOV to be the same.

Today is harder because IC prevents you from modifying the view.lua or server.lua files without falling out of IC.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

You can disable it and make it be just a brief moment when you can't operate your zoom slider axis. It gives you a small anxiety attack every time :)

You need to set your default FOV and maximum FOV to be the same.

Today is harder because IC prevents you from modifying the view.lua or server.lua files without falling out of IC.

The fact that the user has to go and fiddle with .lua files or "just tap the zoom button" only goes to say how impractical and useless the zoom-out is.

If this is brought up once or twice every year, perhaps we may get rid of it eventually... questionmark?

"In the dark future of DCS. . . there is only zoom-out" :D

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

Sorry i must disagree.

The most annoying thing i´ve ever seen is this.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZYjIhx-IBAfCqKENS_xozWiuS-Z4lANqoLIaSsSLP1C2_juty

Thats what alot of time in VR does to you! Good Old Marty!

• Like 1

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

I am going to hazard a guess that ED is well aware of what the users think of this. How about instead of fixing it, which I doubt will ever happen, they just explain the rationale behind it? Then we can just discuss how the rationale makes no sense. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Well, yes. It's the second of the most useless and annoying features in DCS. On the other hand, I have to say that if it's such an annoyance then just get it fixed. To be fair, currently available fix is a workaround but it has to be done only once and afterwards you can enjoy DCS without zoom-out effect (with a cost of not being able to zoom out more than default FOV). It’s a compromise but if not possible to be digested then initial zoom out isn’t probably such a big of an issue.

Another point is that it's perfectly possible without additional fuss to do the change to be IC green. Just use the server.lua and snap.views placed in user files. I would actually say that modifying the view settings files in DCS game folder is not a correct way to do it.

As for the first place for the most annoying feature in DCS... it goes in my opinion to the cockpit view settings being applied from the mission file - especially on MP servers. I mean seriously, I set my FOV, head position, zoom settings to match my monitor or generally in a way that is the most comfortable for me - which no one should really care what the setting is as it's really a personal thing. I go to MP server.... and the in-cockpit view settings of whoever was the author of the MP mission are applied. The only one way to fix it is to request an administrator to manually unzip the mission, remove the in-cockpit view settings, zip the files back and deploy to the server. On top of that it has to be done every time the mission is edited in mission editor. A true, ultimate troll feature...

Anyway ED, really, c’mon… there are so many posts about this problem. Why we’re even discussing it. FOV setting is such an obvious feature and an obvious industry standard for pretty much any 3D first person view application that it’s even silly that we have to discuss that and ask to get this issue fixed.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I am going to hazard a guess that ED is well aware of what the users think of this. How about instead of fixing it, which I doubt will ever happen, they just explain the rationale behind it? Then we can just discuss how the rationale makes no sense. ;)

Strange thing about this whole issue is, that it is infact already fixed... for VR users.

There is no FOV-zoomout in any of the VR-headsets, so why should there be on desktop?

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

How about instead of fixing it, which I doubt will ever happen, they just explain the rationale behind it?

Maybe someone strangled the original programmer that did it and now everybody is stuck with it and no explanation available. :smartass:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least