Nukes

amalahama

I read somewhere ED won't add them due to ethics or something. But at the end of the day, this is just a sim, nukes exist in RL and F/A-18 can carry a pair of B-61s so why not? Some nice effects would be welcomed as well. Big kabooms are great advertising claims and food for youtube videos.

Regards!

The graphics engine has issues managing explosions. In fact they are much smaller than reality. A big explosion like that of an atomic bomb would freeze the game.

Edited by Majinbot

PC: i7-13700K - MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X Trio - 32GB DDR5 6200 - VPC MongoosT-50CM3 - VKB GF pro - MFG Crosswind - Msi MPG321UR-QD + Acer XB271HU - TrackIR5 - Rift S

I read somewhere ED won't add them due to ethics or something. But at the end of the day, this is just a sim, nukes exist in RL and F/A-18 can carry a pair of B-61s so why not? Some nice effects would be welcomed as well. Big kabooms are great advertising claims and food for youtube videos.

Regards!

I heard special effects are an issue not overly obnoxious liberal sjw soccer mom ethics in a virtual environment.

Leather neck was the exception thus far but belsimtek similarly stated they could add special stores aka nukes for the sabre given that the block 35 has labs toss bombing system just for that.. However issue is in 3rd end to create better special effects to properly simulate a nuke.

Atm when mig21 drops r24 or r28 nuke it just a giant bomb. There is no white flash or long lasting mushroom cloud effect.

Sadly their in the same boat as napalm. Bat for e.g. also stated they are open to adding napalm on aircraft that used them such as the f86 f5e and their regently announced f4e but ed needs to add new effects.

He'll our dumb bombs still don't shrapnel or cause splash damage as they should and ground objects still use health bars

In any case I do support nukes. Especially to much greater degree if it pertains to cold war era.

Once upon a time nuclear exchange would have been a reality and employed in a hypothetical ww3 if cold war went hot.

Ofc not the case with an 21st century fa18. But if it can hold special stores and if at some point the effects are added? Yes why not.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Because why not?

Regards!

One of my favorite memories from GraphSim's F/A-18 Hornet franchise was being able to drop nukes. The game didn't even authorize them unless the mission specifically called for it, adding to the realism.

Edited by CheckGear

I would love if DCS had better and more diverse modeling of weapon systems. And while I don't doubt the implications on the game engine and our PC's when we set off an atomic bomb, I do think there should be the option. Perhaps we limit the devastation by forcing the blast yield on the B-61 to a reasonably destructive amount for a nuke. The B-61 has a variable blast yield of .3-340 kilotons of tnt. Even if the bomb was stuck at a measly 5 kilotons (less than fat man and little boy) it could still utterly destroy most towns and cities in DCS.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Strix X570-E MB | Ryzen 9 5950x | ASUS Tuf RTX 4080 | 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 MHz DDR4 | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | Track IR 5 | Gigabyte M27Q-P 1440p 165hz |

Exactly. I'd rather a better system modeling and flight model than just a nuclear weapon. Maybe ED has different teams working on different things, but a realistic system modeling for the AGM-84E for example would be better than just shoot and wait for the impact. But yeah, nuke would be the last item on my wishlist ;) It doesn't have much use in a realistic scenario, you just can't take off and nuke 'em all lol :D

Exactly. I'd rather a better system modeling and flight model than just a nuclear weapon. Maybe ED has different teams working on different things, but a realistic system modeling for the AGM-84E for example would be better than just shoot and wait for the impact. But yeah, nuke would be the last item on my wishlist ;) It doesn't have much use in a realistic scenario, you just can't take off and nuke 'em all lol :D

But it would be great for an extremely unrealistic campaign! I've been contemplating the possibility of a ace-combat style (though re-worked for realistic planes) Hornet campaign where you're assigned to an elite team of pilots from around the world and sent on a near-suicidal mission to stop an evil supervillain bent on world domination. Nukes would be ideal for the final level of such a campaign- their plans having been foiled, the villain sends nuke-armed bombers out to take revenge on everyone you love (and also New York, because it's always in the line of fire from supervillains for some reason). You've use most of your weapons, you're low on fuel, and there's and not much time to catch them before they drop their bombs... but being the bad-ass hero of the story, I'm sure you'll find a way to save the day. If not, your base (and all the characters on it) goes up in a mushroom cloud.

• Like 1

Exactly. I'd rather a better system modeling and flight model than just a nuclear weapon. :D

snip...

agreed! (but down the road, throw in the Nuke. Might make for a scenario or two...)

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

For that reason alone but also for the sake of making DCS World more realistic I would love to see destructible world of DCS. This means serious re-work of the maps though,units and weapons. Baby steps. 2.5 unification seems to be show stopper for any other development progress. Nukes? Sure. But physics and visuals are not going to happen anytime soon for these, so little point working on them.

+1 to the idea though.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I hope they don't add proper nuclear weapons.

I agree with the argument that it's a store, so should be added, but I don't think that's enough in this case.

I think adding them would be a risk DCS gets picked up by some media outlets with some stupid headlines like "mass murder simulator" / "nuclear bomb trainer!" and then potentially we have a problem if aircraft manufacturers or even 3rd party devs don't want to be caught up or associated with that.

Also, they're weapons of mass destruction. Regardless of any ethics/potential controversy, they'll have to be banned on every server, removed from most campaigns/single missions, and tbh, not really have much of a place for a player who is delivering them. You'd do it once in a single mission, then go back to actually doing precision strikes with mavs/lgb's etc...

Edited by Buzzles
spelling

We don't need a ultrarealistic model of mass destruction, just some nice FX and a predefined blast radious (with some twitches on the 3D engine to avoid bringing down our machines to their knees) will make the day. I fondly remember some sims with nukes in the past (F-22 lighting 3, F/A-18 Korea...) and nuclear missions were super-exciting, normally really difficult to accomplish but feeling great when release and see the mushroom at distance...

Regards

Edited by amalahama

As stated before we don't have blast damage, fragmentation, proper cluster bombs, ground units still have health bars, no napalm, no hyperbaric weapons and very few precision standoff weapons. So yeah a nuke is at the bottom of my list. Couldn't care less.

I would want it in a practice munition form i.e. dud but not a piss poor reproduction like the migs'. It only caused problems when used in the Cold War server by disappointed mig drivers and offered nothing more.

Also what buzzles said.

The fact is that nukes, with the exception of the 2nd and 3rd ones ever detonated, are purely strategic deterrents. They serve no real purpose other than preventing "the other guy" from using his against you, and are completely pointless in a simulated battlefield where global thermonuclear war isn't a possible outcome.

Video games are a big enough medium so no one's going to turn this into some dumb headline.

I wouldn't be against it, if the real deal carries it then sure add it. I would still put it at the bottom of my wishlist though because I'd rather see any other type of A-G munition that has actually been employed in real combat before the devs add B83s or B61s. As for whether it's actually planned for the module didn't Olgerd joke that we'd see "Space-Lasers" before we'd get B61s back when the F/A-18 thread was in the Chit-Chat section of the forum?

The fact is that nukes, with the exception of the 2nd and 3rd ones ever detonated, are purely strategic deterrents. They serve no real purpose other than preventing "the other guy" from using his against you, and are completely pointless in a simulated battlefield where global thermonuclear war isn't a possible outcome.

+1.

IMO time that devs would have to invest in developping the nukes would be better spend in any other area of the sim. Just based on the MiG-21 experience there is really a little use of them, also considering the fact that almost all MP servers ban it.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I think nukes should be available. But they should only be available as part of semi-dynamic campaign which, if played out in a certain manner, results in a situation where nukes would be authorized.

As for all the talk about nukes being of no use or unrealistic, people here suggest things that are so no real-world to begin with. I'm sure having one or two instances where you can drop nukes won't bother anyone too much, given there's no shortage of hokey ideas people like to throw around here.

I think nukes should be available. But they should only be available as part of semi-dynamic campaign which, if played out in a certain manner, results in a situation where nukes would be authorized.

Rather silly to spend dev time creating something that is only 'allowed' to be used in limited situations (and how would you intend to enforce that, anyway). Also, what would you like ED to delay, or not do at all, while they work on nuclear weapons and the associated graphics and optimizations necessary to make them workable?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Given that almost everything they do is work in progress today, no I definitely would not.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta