$200-ish HOTAS for Newbie?

Hey All,

I currently have a friend who wants to get into DCS, he is going to start with the F-15. I am trying to guage what people's experience is with some HOTASs out there in his budget range.

Our first idea was the X-52 PRO

https://www.amazon.com/Saitek-X52-Flight-System-Controller/dp/B000LQ4HTS

I used the regular X-52 for about 10 years, but I remember some quality issues. Although I may be biased as a Warthog HOTAS owner. I also hear a lot of complaints about "Quailty Check" issues with Saitek latley, so thats my other concern. Reviews are also not so great.

Next up was the T16000M + Rudder Pedals.

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T16000M-FCS-Flight-Pack/dp/B01N2PE8CZ/

Now, i have no experience with it, nor do I know anyone who does when compared against the X-52 PRO. The most I have read about it, is less buttons, and not as ergonomic.

Rest of the HOTAS beyond these two are either way too few buttons, or just not as good. But I am looking for input.

He also plans to use it for Star Citizen, but I think that is a moot point compared to DCS.

I would go firs tfor the T16000M.

But if going more serious, I would just search a CH Combat stick and Throttle if you price just allows to find the second hand versions.

The Logitech (that bought Saitek) X-52 is OK, but I just wouldn't take it anymore as it is too compromise for price vs capability that even TM16000M has.

But for what you really need pedals? If idea ain't to fly helicopters, I would leave pedals off as you anyways need them mainly in landing/take-off moments only and you get away with binded buttons for that. Throttle is good to have, but even it can be "overcome" for short periods.

So I would almost go and get a CH fighter stick and then later add the throttle for it.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I would go firs tfor the T16000M.

But if going more serious, I would just search a CH Combat stick and Throttle if you price just allows to find the second hand versions.

The Logitech (that bought Saitek) X-52 is OK, but I just wouldn't take it anymore as it is too compromise for price vs capability that even TM16000M has.

But for what you really need pedals? If idea ain't to fly helicopters, I would leave pedals off as you anyways need them mainly in landing/take-off moments only and you get away with binded buttons for that. Throttle is good to have, but even it can be "overcome" for short periods.

So I would almost go and get a CH fighter stick and then later add the throttle for it.

This one?

https://www.amazon.com/CH-Products-200-571-Fighterstick-USB/dp/B00006B84X

Yeah go CH all the way, I started with that exact one. It's very reliable, lots of features, simple-ish software, and very affordable. For throttle I would recommend the TM TWCS, heard great things about it.

I had CH throttle as well, but I found out down the road that its very easy for dust to slip inside the track where it slides and cause sensitivity issues. though not life ending it was quite annoying.

Edited by Wizard_03

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

I would also go with the Thrustmaster suite. You get stick, throttle and separate rudders with toe brakes for $180. Ergonomically, the stick is lacking a pinkie button that is useful as a modifier, but the buttons and switches on the throttle make up for that. If your friend later decides he wants to jump into the Warthog side of things, he also has the option of just going with the stick and keeping the TWCS throttle, which will do him just fine unless he wants separate engine controls. If he likes Elite Dangerous or the Viggen, the T16000 stick is ambidextrous, meaning that once he upgrades he could just move the stick to the left side of his setup and use it for directional thrusters (Elite) or radar controls (viggen). All controllers are TARGET compatible, so if he decides to get into programming he doesn't lose his profiles on upgrade either (though he will need to update them). Either way, he will be able to keep the rudders intact even if he goes "full Warthog".

If this controller set is the only one he's ever getting (with possible rudders), I might recommend the CH line for its durability and function for price. However, if this is a potential "starter set" I would definitely recommend the Thrustmasters for the reasons listed above.

Problem is CH combo will cost more than $200

Stick - 130 - (94 for Combatstick, 2 HAT's replaced by single press buttons, what is good for WWII planes weapons, helicopter trim).

Throttle - 123

Pedals - 120 necessary because CH sticks don't have "twist" rudder.

So is Saitek X-52/PRO or T.16000 FCS HOTAS. For both rudder pedals is optional.

CH equipment is really well constructed it will last you a long time. It is worth the money. Sensors are good, and the parts are practically industrial grade. Their stuff is made to last a nuclear war.

I've heard good things about the TM1600 it uses hal sensors which are the same in the TM Warthog

I really do not recommend the X52. I didn't find it to be good quality. The sensors and parts degraded quickly with frequent use.

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

T.16000m+TWCS combo. Yes, the stick has to few buttons and switches/hats accessable, but the TWCS throttle makes up for that and the stick's precision is the thing you want.

+1

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am unashamed a big fan fan the base X-52. Not sure if you can still get in new but I still think it was the best setup I had (now rocking a warthog and pedals, i hate pedals).

Twist grip for rudders (much more fun for a newbie due to the level of control).

DOnt need twin throttles, I may be wrong but unless you are uber simulation I have never needed to close one throttle.

The pinky on the stick means you can use every button twice, more than enough for A-10c.

You dont need even the pro IMO.