PC Repair or upgrade

Hello all,

Having a bit of a dilemma on weather i should repair my PC or upgrade it.

The problem is that there is a hardware fault (out of warranty) in my motherboard causing the clock to display random times and change at will, even going back in time.

The last few weeks the problem is getting more frequent and as such it's related issues immensely annoying.

Now the question is, should i just buy a new mobo and keep the other hardware, or go for a new mobo+cpu upgrade?

Running Windows 8

mobo: Asus Z87-A (socket 1150)

CPU: I7-4770

GFX: GTX 970

RAM: 16 GB Kingston Hyper X

multipe SSD's and a HDD

Monitor 4K phillips 40"

Now i have not played DCS in a while because of a lack of performance at 4k as well as this clock issue causing all kinds of weird stuff.

But planning to get back into things.

Ill also intend to run Folding @ Home for extended periods of time.

So, get a new mobo, personally love ASUS.

Or maybe better upgrade to either an Intel / AMD platform?

(considering threadripper because of the folding, though ryzen should do quite nicely as well)

And what is the latest news on graphics cards in DCS for running on 4k resolution?

(Focussing on DCS 2.xx since 1.5 will be absolute soon, well, DCS soon anyway)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

In my estimation, you'd be hard pressed to find a new motherboard for that socket. When my z77 crapped out, new motherboards for that socket were more expensive than when new and a lot of the feature rich boards were not available new.

It'd be more costly to upgrade, since your have to get new ram as well if you go z170 or newer. Dependent on CPU/RAM/Mobo you could easily spend 6-700 dollars.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Have you tried changing the CMOS battery? That would be a cheap fix if that is the root cause of your clock problems.

^ Top Tip !

Battery is CR2032 :book:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Have you tried changing the CMOS battery? That would be a cheap fix if that is the root cause of your clock problems.

+1 for this

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

Is the CPU the i7 4770K or the plain i7 4770?

If not "K" edition you should try to get a i7 4790K and a water cooling for the CPU and then overclock until it screams! I did that with my i7 4770K and it works fine but it gets hot so you need water cooling. Get the DeepCool Captain 120 EX and overclock to 4.8 GHz :D

Changed the CMOS like 5 times. first time it helped for about 2 or 3 months.

Last time it didn't help at all.

Probably to do whit the fact i plugged in the power button lead wrongly and tried to boot the computer, shorting something on the mobo.

Thanks for the help guys, is there any Intel/AMD CPU much better at this point for DCS then the other at a similar price point?

And how about AMD Vega Graphics versus Nvidea 1070/80/80Ti in DCS ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Changed the CMOS like 5 times. first time it helped for about 2 or 3 months.

Last time it didn't help at all.

Probably to do whit the fact i plugged in the power button lead wrongly and tried to boot the computer, shorting something on the mobo.

I have done this many many times when building PC's and that never broke anything. This is 99,9% not the cause.

Many batteries you buy are of not such a good quality, like those from the 1€-Market that come

in a variety of seizes on a sheet of cardboard etc.. Get a proper CR2032 from a reputable dealer.

If it cured it before for 2-3 months it is likely to cure it again. Some circuit boards just need WAY more juice to keep the clock and such running that the battery is drained in far less time than normal. That is not good but does happen.

Take your battery out and measure the Volts with an Ampere-Meter, then measure a new & full CR2032 and see how far the gab between the two is. That way you can make assumptions IF the battery was really drained and out of order.

I would not buy a new CPU for such a board but if you have a "K" CPU I would overclock it to said levels. Watercooling or a very good air cooler is needed. I'd prefer water.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

No idea where to find a reputable dealer concerning batteries. But I'd still have some lying around, on a cardboard as you set.

Never hurts to try i guess, Ill post the results here when done.

***edit***

Any idea of a decent brand?

One's i have here are indeed el cheapo ones. however i struggle to find batteries more expensive then 1 euro.

Edited by 159th_Falcon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Varta, Maxwell, UCAR, Sony, Sanyo, Panasonic, Duracell etc..

Ok, there all around the 1 euro range here hence the question.

Anyway took the old one out ( el cheapo) and measured 3.270 V

Took a new one, a el cheapo i still had lying around and measured 3.372 V

Starting to think I'm having a whole different issue, but can cause a CMOS clock to reset to random times other then a battery?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

....is there any Intel/AMD CPU much better at this point for DCS then the other at a similar price point?

And how about AMD Vega Graphics versus Nvidea 1070/80/80Ti in DCS ?

Intel > AMD for single threaded performance

At this point in time DCS relies more on single thread performance, but that could change if ED retools for multi-threaded CPUs at some point down the road.

The difference between the latest i5/i7 CPUs and Ryzen5/7 is 10-15% in gaming benchmarks depending on who's numbers you are looking at and how much of an overclock you can get (with Intel in the lead). The i5/i7 are crushed by the Ryzen in anything that takes full advantage of multiple cores, but since most games still rely on a single thread, you only get that advantage if you are streaming, and/or running other apps in the background while gaming.

As far as GPUS go it is roughly this depending on what benchmarks you look at...

GTX1070 < Vega56 < Vega64/GTX1080 < GTX1080ti

Thanks for the help and advice guys. Gonna be a tough choice on what to get.

As far as the clock, it's still spot on after letting the computer on overnight running Folding @ Home.

If the time stays the same the entire time the computers on (unless you change it) that definitely sounds like a battery

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If you are a Boinc user, then go and get the Ryzen or Threadripper.... heck, when I look at my poor CPU..sigh.. it's doing a Formula Sprint for next 3 days with 100% CPU nonstop...I wish I had a zillion cores.

Ryzen over Intel when you are a number cruncher ( prime, Folding, MilkyWay, pogs, Seti.etc etc.. )

BTW...are you in a Team ??? PM me if not already and if you would like to join a great team !

Thanks for the help and advice guys. Gonna be a tough choice on what to get.

As far as the clock, it's still spot on after letting the computer on overnight running Folding @ Home.

Over night with F@H means the PSU powers that crystal's circuit and NOT the battery.

Pull the plug for 15-30min and check again, that is the test you ought to do to check the battery.

Some boards have funny clocks, which actually is a RMA thing