New Rig, New Rift, old HOTAS, new problem

Hello All,

I’m experiencing a very odd issue with my new set up that I need a little assistance with.

I have just installed a new rig in a new DCS dedicated room with a new Rift and oh my god what an experience!!

However, I’m having a problem with The UH-1 in free flight (or the other "engine running" on start up missions)

As soon as I click on to fly, the RPM’s drop, master caution comes on and I can’t lift off. I have an HOTAS and Saitek combat rudder pedals but I’d better explain they have been in their boxes for 4 years until I was able to set the new system up. So I have been away for a while and naturally forgotten everything about how to start the aircraft and with the rift a whole new approach is called for. Hence why I’m just getting to grips with the flying in free flight for now.

Now here’s the odd bit. If I start the programme with the HOTAS's USB’s unplugged, the aircraft engine and RPM is normal. I can plug the USB’s back in and nothing changes, I can then fly. However, if I come out of free flight and then go back in again without removing the HOTAS USB’s I get the low RPM and master caution once again and I'm stuck at the end of the runway.

I don’t get any similar problems in the A10 that I’m aware of (no new modules loaded up yet, neither have I loaded DCS World 2, NTTR or Normandy. As I said, I’v been away for a while!)

Anyone have any idea what is going on in the Huey and how to fix?

Thanks

WC

i7 7700 @ 4.7GHz--GTX1080ti--Samsung SSD 500GB--32 gigs of RAM--TH Warthog--Crosswinds rudder--HP Reverb--Dedicated Sim room.

It sounds like you have an axis mapped to the throttle in the Huey that is set at or near zero when you enter the cockpit. That or the game isn't reading the position of the throttle when you enter the cockpit and is defaulting to zero.

If you don't know already the throttle in the UH-1 is a twist grip on the collective. You can assign an axis on your HOTAS or use your mouse, or keyboard (Page UP/Page Down) to set it.

Certainly sounds like wrong throttle axis assignment, or unwanted double (conflicting) assignment, or wrong usage of "synchronize controls with HOTAS" game option, or all of the above :D. Simply put - pretty ordinary issues of everyone new to DCS, or coming back to DCS after a long time. Double check all of the above.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Check your throttle assignment to determine if the throttle axis needs to be reversed. On my TM Warthog throttle, I use the left throttle for the throttle. I reverse the axis and push the throttle all the way forward to ensure it's at full throttle. I also have my right throttle (used for collective) axis reversed so I push it all the way forward for no collective and pull it back to increase the collective (lift the collective arm).

My experience has been that startup or inflight, the throttle and collective are set by the program. As soon as I move either throttle (if I haven't pushed the throttles full forward) it immediately goes to the max (collective) or min (throttle) and I kill myself.

Edited by Balzarog

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

Thank you all and a good deal of sound advice to follow. It's amazing just how much I have forgotten especially with regards to mapping the controls.

Again, much appreciated.

Waistcat

i7 7700 @ 4.7GHz--GTX1080ti--Samsung SSD 500GB--32 gigs of RAM--TH Warthog--Crosswinds rudder--HP Reverb--Dedicated Sim room.

Thanks I will. Its about 32 degrees in my new dedicate DCS sim room so It will need to cool down up there before I get to do whats been suggested.