F-14 TID WiP

Cobra847

Work continues on high level radar, weapon and navigation functionality! Here's a couple of examples from the RIOs TID (Tactical Information Display).

The TID displays information such as computer detected radar contacts, navigation steerpoints, datalinked targets and more.

As a RIO, you'll spend plenty of time looking at and using the TID.

While you'll also need to be proficient at reading the DDD Radar Display, the TID will greatly aid you in establishing an overarching view of the tactical situation.

Using your joystick, you'll be able to select (hook) and prioritize targets with ease. :)

21200507_768929329961354_1946867582585345661_o.jpg?oh=2a61cc832d1a8d7b5ead35e462d2c2b8&oe=5A2DA504

• Like 1

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

When are we going to see an AIM-54 launch?

About 5 weeks ago:

20248009_752577921596495_5151553343764117473_o.jpg?oh=7ffa0a6772558efe695ac2d302b9072c&oe=5A5E98E7

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/posts/752578584929762

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

While you'll also need to be proficient at reading the DDD Radar Display, the TID will greatly aid you in establishing an overarching view of the tactical situation.

What's the DDD Radar Display? Sounds like some kind of raw radar display (raw radar returns instead of fancy contact symbols)?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

What's the DDD Radar Display? Sounds like some kind of raw radar display (raw radar returns instead of fancy contact symbols)?

IIRC from FD, it was a standard B-scope radar screen showing detected targets and their range (FD didn't have velocity search mode, I think). It also showed a radar scanning beam position so you could also directly see the azimuth coverage selected.

But, if you locked any of the targets on it, it would switch to STT. In TWS modes (TWS-A and TWS-M, I think?), the targets were tracked on the TID (either automatically in TWS-A or manually in TWS-M).

Of course, this was a 1994 game so I'm not sure how much of that behavior is relevant now (though, admittedly, it's still my favorite sim game of all times).

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

IIRC from FD, it was a standard B-scope radar screen showing detected targets and their range (FD didn't have velocity search mode, I think). It also showed a radar scanning beam position so you could also directly see the azimuth coverage selected.

But, if you locked any of the targets on it, it would switch to STT. In TWS modes (TWS-A and TWS-M, I think?), the targets were tracked on the TID (either automatically in TWS-A or manually in TWS-M).

Of course, this was a 1994 game so I'm not sure how much of that behavior is relevant now (though, admittedly, it's still my favorite sim game of all times).

Oh, so it's a radar display that is more sophisticated than I thought. Sounds pretty much like the usual modern radar displays found in the F-15, F-16 and so on.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Very nice! But I'm curious to know how datalink contacts are managed, because it's not a standard DCS feature (not yet at least).

Regards!

AI F-14's, E-2s and (IIRC) the Carrier, will automatically send datalinked information to the players F-14.

Whether the information is sent is based on whether the AI unit detects the bogies.

Human F-14's will do the same if the relevant systems are on and configured.

Oh, so it's a radar display that is more sophisticated than I thought. Sounds pretty much like the usual modern radar displays found in the F-15, F-16 and so on.

The DDD is not super sophisticated. It's sort of a blend between a raw radar scope (think Viggen) and generated symbology. Here's one of BIOs photos of the DDD

Story-Scan_volume-DDD.jpg?token=mhxg2VUUqbl6xMGwNX7ZeDRWKuU%3D

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

AI F-14's, E-2s and (IIRC) the Carrier, will automatically send datalinked information to the players F-14.

Whether the information is sent is based on whether the AI unit detects the bogies.

Is the white contact (#5) a DL-contact?

The DDD is not super sophisticated. It's sort of a blend between a raw radar scope (think Viggen) and generated symbology. Here's one of BIOs photos of the DDD

*pic*

Thanks!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Oh, so it's a radar display that is more sophisticated than I thought.

Actually, now that I think about it some more, I don't think it was a B-scope showing range in FD as I clearly remembered how it was frustrating that the positions of the targets on the scope didn't really match their range and I couldn't make much sense of their positions at the time.

Edit: I just checked the FD manual and the radar contacts' vertical positions were in fact representing target closure speed (so azimuth/closure rate B-scope, I guess (?) like the velocity search modes on later radars).

It would be nicer to have the actual -1A weapons delivery manual for the F-14A/B, though :)

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Some additional information from Hoggit posted by Gyrovague

21200507_768929329961354_1946867582585345661_o.jpg?oh=2a61cc832d1a8d7b5ead35e462d2c2b8&oe=5A2DA504

There's a lot going on in these simple screenshots, and a lot more to come still. This is a Tactical Information Display (think of it as an early version of the A-10C TAD, sans any graphical maps), currently showing ownship at the bottom (circle with plus), with yardstick radar azimuth extent lines stretching out in front. In TWS auto, the radar automatically adjusts to the centroid of targets, so currently a bit left of ownship heading. At the top are the left and right readouts, they can show a variety of info about ownship or hooked targets, currently showing airspeed and magnetic heading. Some targets are shown with their vectors. The horizontal line in the center is just an artificial horizon line. On the left is the radar pattern vertical elevation and extents. Three different waypoint types are shown here (tie fighter, diamond with plus, asymmetric plus), 8 waypoints can be shown in total. The "IN" text indicates that INS navigation is being used (as opposed to a few degraded modes).

My Specs

Asus Maximus Hero IX Z270

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

32GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3700MHz DDR4

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2 NVME SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Acer XB270HU 144Hz @ 1440p (IPS)

Valve Index

OOOOhhh, I wish I had the Alpha of a Hornet!

Story-Scan_volume-diagram.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1269702883817

RADAR SCAN VOLUME - A LESSON FOR A YOUNG RIO

http://www.topgunbio.com/radarsearch/

This was a training sortie to pick up some allied A-7's which were hugging the sea surface, this pic was after Bio tilted the RADAR down.

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Neat! Will DL connection be cut if LoS occurs (for example, in a valley) or a/c flies beyond radio range?

Regards!

Very cool datalink will make for some really cool tactics.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Story-Scan_volume-diagram.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1269702883817

RADAR SCAN VOLUME - A LESSON FOR A YOUNG RIO

http://www.topgunbio.com/radarsearch/

This was a training sortie to pick up some allied A-7's which were hugging the sea surface, this pic was after Bio tilted the RADAR down.

Thanks, that was an interesting read!

And the DDD is a raw radar display as I first suspected.

Tornado3 small.jpg

And the DDD is a raw radar display as I first suspected.

In PD mode, it apparently shows a B-scope with azimuth and closure rate which is not something I would define as raw.

Edited by Dudikoff

Dealing with a dopler radar, I'd say it's very raw.

Good point, though I guess raw can be understood in different ways.